NFL Withdrawal.....

wdm1219inpenna

I am one of about 7 people who will actually watch the PRO BOWL tonight on CBS. That being said, I am already in NFL withdrawal mode. Only 208 days until the 2007 regular season kicks off, just 30 more weeks to go.....

One way I ease into the lack of football is by having simulation seasons on my Madden 2007 Gamecube video game. Another way is a game my cousin and I invented back in 1980, it's pretty much a game of luck but it involves football. I even went so far as to create scoreboards on excel using the eggcrate font.

The game is card/dice football. I have 13 cards which get shuffled at the beginning of each quarter. For the dice, I simply use a handheld electronic Yathzee game, but regular dice can be used as well.

To begin the game I simulate a coin flip by having the visiting team guess whether the die rolled will be an odd or an even number. If you wish, you can use an actual coin and toss it as well. I prefer the dice method because bending over to pick up a coin is challenging for me at my age (ha ha).

The team that wins the toss receives first, which means they get to select 1 card from the pile first. Play then alternates to the other team. Each team gets two turns per quarter.

The cards are as follows:

4 Queens = 0 Points

1 King = 0 Points

1 Two > dice are rolled. If the first die is a 1, 2 or 3, another pick is taken from the pile; if a 4, 5 or 6 is rolled, it is 0 points. However, if the dice rolled comes up 2-2-2, then it is a safety, worth 2 points, and another pick is made (simulating the "free kick" after a safety is scored).

1 Six = Touchdown, and the dice must be rolled for the PAT. If a 1-1-1, 1-1-2, 6-6-5 or 6-6-6 are rolled in that exact order, the PAT is missed, otherwise it's good.

2 Sevens = Touchdown + PAT (automatically good)

2 Threes = Field Goals (automatically good)

2 Jokers > requires one die to be rolled. If a joker is drawn, then the die is rolled and the following results are possible:

Roll a 1 = 7 points + pick another card

Roll a 2 = 7 points but no extra pick

Roll a 3 = 3 points + pick another card

Roll a 4 = 3 points but no extra pick

Roll a 5 = 0 points + pick another card

Roll a 6 = 0 points but no extra pick

With implementing the joker cards and the subsequent rolling, the possibility of picking again can turn a blowout into a closer game. This also could simulate a team getting the ball back due to a turnover or an onside kick as well.

If you wish, you can implement the 2-point conversion. Simply roll 2 dice, and if they both come up odd or both come up even, then the 2 point conversion is good, otherwise it's no good. I choose to play without the 2 point conversion, as I'm not a fan of this on the pro level. To me, having it in college and not in the pros separates the men from the boys.

The scores I get are quite realistic. Some blowouts, some low scoring, many average scoring games as well.

My 7 year old enjoys the game too, and he even likes creating the spreadsheets with the formulas to tally up the scores for the teams.

I take it a step further and right now am having simulated playoffs. I assign one playing card per team, and pick them out one at a time. The first team picked gets the 1 seed, etc.

When simulating playoffs, I play a series of games. For example in the wildcard round, when the 6 seed plays at the 3 seed, I require that the 6 seed wins 6 games before the 3 seed wins 3 games, ditto w/the 4 and 5 seeded teams. This builds in the 'home-field' advantage. At the divisional and championship game levels, I use a slightly altered formula, but in every case, the home team has to always win at least 3 games. When I do the Super Bowl, I do it like the World Series, best 4 out of 7. The final game's score is the "official" result I use in every series of playoff games played. Neither the AFC nor NFC Champion has a "home field" advantage at the Super Bowl level, except the team who is the visitor gets to call the coin toss. And in all 7 games, the visiting team remains the same, it's not a 2-3-2 World Series format.

The first year I did my simulated playoffs, the Steelers defeated the Rams 24-14 in the Super Bowl, this was after having played 5 previous games, the Steelers won 4, the Rams won 2. The final game is the "official" game result. As a hobby I will try to embark on having a regular season this way as well. Depending on records, and past history, I may require certain teams (Browns, Lions, Cardinals) to have to win more than 1 game vs another opponent to have it count as an actual victory.

As I said previously, this was a game my cousin and I created around 1980, not too long before Super Bowl XV was played between Oakland & Philadelphia. It helps to pass the time, and it's enjoyable to me at least. Being an only child growing up I learned to create games and ways to keep myself entertained, several decades later I still do that, as does my 7 year old boy who also is an only child. Like father like son....

Peace, and remember guys and gals, only 208 days til the first Thursday night game in September. I assume the league will be doing this still. I hope it's not the London England game, as I can't stay up at 2am to see an NFL game! I dislike the idea of a regular season game being played there. I also dislike that they chose England. After all, aren't they already part of the NFL Europe circuit? Why not go into Asia or somewhere that the NFL does NOT have an overseas team? I just don't understand that, and especially England, where "football" is soccer.

Kindest regards,

Bill McD.

I have 6 days of "Sports Star Collapsing" as I call it. I like NFL, NASCAR, and MLB, so after the Super Bowl, everything just gets really boring for a minute or two, and then BOOM! Like a Supernova, it's time for the 500.

MouthoftheSouth.jpg

I don't speak for democrats, democrats don't speak for me.

That's why Jim Foster created Arena Football. :P

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Moorman, this is why punters kick the ball.

He got JACKED UP!!!

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived