U.s. cellular field

CC97

It really would have been bad had they still been in the old park. They should have done it when they first moved there in 1991. But they say they're using the money to fund their continuing renovations there, so it might be okay in the long run. At least they're staying put and might make it appealing to a broader base of fans. Personally, I've always liked Comiskey just fine.

But if Wrigley ever sells out...

I just went on MLB's media site and they have dropped the All-Star logo that had "Comiskey Park" on it.  There is just "Primary 1" and "Primary 3" up.  

A historical footnote:  In the early-70's the White Sox dropped the name "Comiskey Park".  They painted the park white and renamed it "White Sox Park".  Obviously, it didn't last.

This stadium sponsorship is getting out of control.  Comiskey Park is now U.S. Cellular Field?  Ugh!  Besides, why does the ballpark need more renovations?  It's only 12 years old.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

Puckguy, yes and no. Sponsership is out of control, but so are salaries. Sponseship is a small way to bring in money to improve the team.

I like the old sponsered names. Like Busch Stadium, which hopefully will be the name of the new park in a few years. Why they have to have a new park I don't know, but that was never a question. Anyway, I like Busch because it has been the name for so long it sounds like an old time name and not one of those weird sponsered ones. Like Wrigley Field, It started as being named after the family, but has taken on a little bit of product name. I said that about Wrigley, but I have no facts so if aanyone can confurm or deny it..

I think names like Busch, Wrigley, Coors work either because of their longetivity or becasue they are simple sounding and somewhat relate to America's Past Time.

Remember when the Joke used to be "How long until we get the 'Always Pad with Wings Park'?"

i don't think it's a joke anymore, i think it's a legit question now....

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Archived