De La Hoya/Mayweather

Starchild

Just thought I'd start a thread for those who checked the DLH/Mayweather fight...

My thoughts? Obviously correct decision for Mayweather to win, although I agree with Max Kellerman's post-fight comments about the absurdity of DLH getting the win on one of the judges cards. DLH impressed me though... I didn't think he had that much left in the tank. Just wish he would've kept the jab up as every commentator mentioned (even though I was pulling for Pretty Boy).

"The true New Yorker secretly believes that anyone living anywhere else has got to be, in some sense, kidding."

I saw the fight, and i was surprise to until my friend's point of view which makes sense. Not all judges base their decision on punches land or thrown. Some judges base it on pure aggresiveness, and if that what the judge was goin at when he gave his decision to De La Hoya, then it i can say ok, because De La Hoya was way more aggressive than Mayweather, despite throwing and missing alot of punches. But my first thought was that should of been unanamous decision for Mayweather. Descent Fight, Not the best, Not waht I expected.

I was surprised one judge had De La Hoya winning too. I thought that Mayweather won it unanimously. But it was a close fight. Mayweather is just so quick. Any other boxer and De La Hoya hits a lot of those punches that didn't connect and wins the fight.

Was it a great fight? Hell yes -- best I can remember in a while. Did it live up to the hype? I thought so. Worth $55? Definetely. Did the fight save boxing? Nope. The casual fan probably wanted to see someone hit the canvas.

IUe6Hvh.png

Some random thoughts...for the record, I wasn't rooting for anyone - I really don't like either:

- Both undercard fights were pretty solid.

- Mayweather, Sr. took far too many shots to the head to be speaking in public, and he should probably rethink his "Predator" hairstyle

- There was an incredible favoritism for Mayweather by some of the commentators.

- De La Hoya should win on his amount of class alone. Plus, his wife is ungodly attractive

- Mayweather, on the other hand, is a punk.

- Not sure how to word this, but Mayweather basically won by not losing. He didn't really "beat" De la Hoya. Yeah, doesn't make sense, but I honestly don't know how else to put it.

- De La Hoya controlled probably 2/3 of the fight, give or take a round. Mayweather did exactly what was talked about by taking control late as De La Hoya tired out.

- If it weren't for DLH throwing a ridiculous amount of punches, there wouldn't have been a fight. Mayweather spent the first half of the fight hugging DLH as he threw combos.

- Mayweather, Sr. saying DLH should've won was an interesting twist.

- I would've scored it a draw, to be honest. I didn't think Mayweather won more than a round or two until he won the last 4.

- I can't wait for DLH/Mayweather II. It's bound to happen.

Oh yeah there will be a rematch, and Mayweather Sr. and Jr. are not the best of friends in fact Mayweather Sr. offered to train De La Hoya.

I didn't watch the fight but I followed it on ESPN.com. I'm sure I will catch it next week on HBO, I just refuse to pay $55, like many others its a shame boxing does not realize this and put these big events on ESPN or something, it would bring more fans back to the sport and actually save it, instead of it dying and wilting on the vine.

Heres an ironic side twist De La Hoya now a promoter was involved in promoting the fight too, so even though he lost, hes the winner in the bank account game.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

In his own words after his last fight, Mayweather has more money than he could ever spend, so he fights for legacy at this point. I'm tempted to believe that he actually plans on retiring. However, if there was a rematch, I would definetely pay to see it. I doubt there will be, though. One thing that was great about this fight was how Mayweather played up the bad guy role. I'm not sure a lot of people recognize how great of a boxer he is. That fight looked closer than it was. A LOT closer. According to the fight stats, Mayweather landed almost one hundred more punches in about 100 less attempts and I think he landed the bigger ones. De La Hoya looked exhausted in the final rounds.

IUe6Hvh.png

Oh yeah there will be a rematch, and Mayweather Sr. and Jr. are not the best of friends in fact Mayweather Sr. offered to train De La Hoya.

I didn't watch the fight but I followed it on ESPN.com. I'm sure I will catch it next week on HBO, I just refuse to pay $55, like many others its a shame boxing does not realize this and put these big events on ESPN or something, it would bring more fans back to the sport and actually save it, instead of it dying and wilting on the vine.

Heres an ironic side twist De La Hoya now a promoter was involved in promoting the fight too, so even though he lost, hes the winner in the bank account game.

You did not watch the fight live, so I am not sure if I should even read your comments with proper respect. Floyd, Sr. did ask Oscar if he still wanted him to be trainer...for $2 million (courtsey NY Daily News story)! Plus, Floyd, Sr was near ringside with tickets from Oscar's promotion, plus also in a suite at the MGM as reported by Lampley. Try to be correct, please.

Floyd won handily and I an surprised that he did not break a hand in the processs (again). Tank, this fight will have over 1.5 million buys (including mine) and could possibly be the highest grossing boxing match ever. Ever! Why would ESPN or a network gaurantee ads for something which could end in 1 minute? That is why ABC stopped Saturday boxing; the costs are too high.

While there was not a KO, what more could you ask for going into an event like this? I have been to a Floyd fight before, as posted on the thread about one's ticket stubs, so I know the he is not the draw, Oscar was. Floyd knew he had to play "the villan" so he did so since there was $12 million + reasons to play the bad guy.

Following the fight, during the Larry Merchant post-fight interview with Floyd Mayweather, Jr. made a rather cathartic statement in regards to publically burying the hatchet with his father. A rather noble move, especially since he "claims" this is his last fight. This would be a cleansing of his system as a boxer and thus not going to imulate what he saw as a son onto his chilldren. He could seriously end this part of his life and want to mend the fences with his father and share the rest of his young life with his children.

Oscar may make as much as $50 million when the final pay-per-view numbers buys are totaled. The allure go me and the card was OK.

Other posters were correct in saying that Floyd, Sr. is a trainwreck, but Larry Merchant did not assist in his coherence. Plus, Floyd, need to understand that you are that old and want to have dreads, DYE THEM BLACK! Grey dreds are awful!

My disappointment was the my PPV was not in HD.

Archived