NFL History question

I know there have been at least a few times since the dawn of the Super Bowl where teams that played in the Super Bowl had also met during the regular season.

What I was wondering was, has there ever been 2 teams who met in the regular season and the Super Bowl AND in pre-season as well during the same season?

Bill McD.

I would think it'd be pretty rare for a team to schedule a preseason game against an interconference opponent they're playing later in the regular season.....

Not as rare as you'd think, seeing as the Broncos played the Cardinals in the pre-season last year AND in the regular season.

That is a good question I recall several regular season and Super Bowl match ups but not sure.

1994 49ers vs Chargers does leap to mind. I know they met in regular season and Super Bowl XXIX, and they play each other often in the pre-season as well.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I would think it'd be pretty rare for a team to schedule a preseason game against an interconference opponent they're playing later in the regular season.....

The Eagles "traditionally" play the Ravens, Steelers, Jets, and Browns in the pre-season, even if they play the AFC North or East in the regular season. I think many teams pretty much play the same teams every year in the pre-season (though some how, the Eagles got Carolina on the schedule this year - WTF?)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I know the Bills always play the Lions in the preseason primarily b/c Wilson is from Detroit. But the chances of the Bills playing the Lions in the Super Bowl is .001% but in a season where they play them in the regular season too, I say .0000001%

saBS.png

Where as the league sets the schedules for the regular seasons, the teams themselves get control over whom they like to play in the preseason. Here in Miami, the Fins play Tampa and Jacksonville every season, regardless of whether they will meet later in the regular season. My Broncos have a pool of teams they always seem to select from that includes Seattle, San Francisco, and Arizona. It probably has to do primarily with travel and keeping costs down. The exceptions to these rules are if a team is picked to play in an American Bowl game abroad, a network tv national game (typically a Super Bowl rematch), or in the Hall of Fame Game.

To answer the earlier question, I can think of occasions where teams met in the regular season and Super Bowl (Tennessee and St Louis 1999 season, New England and St Louis in 2001, etc) but not for the preseason as well.

For the past few seasons, the Bucs have played Miami, Jax, and Houston almost every season since Houston's inception in 2002.

The 4th preseason team is usually an oddball. This year happens to be the Jets, in past years I can recall Washington, Cincinnati, New England, etc.

Archived