A Tribe Called Quest

Eye

Welcome to part 11 of the Hip Hop Hockey League. Before part 11, here are parts 1-10. Enjoy those, and enjoy this one.

N.W.A

P$C

Stones Throw Records

Onyx

Black Eyed Peas

Flipsyde

Dipset

Jurassic 5

Mike Jones

Swishahouse Records

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Let's go. One of the pioneers of Hip Hop, A Tribe Called Quest! Now, ATCQ formed in 1988, at that time they had four members. Q-Tip (Jonathan Davis, later changed his name to Kamaal Ibn John Fareed when he converted to Islam), Phife Dawg (Malik Taylor), Ali Shaheed Muhammad, and Jarobi White, who left the group in 1990. ATCQ had a Cleveland Browns-esq. hiatus, one could say when they split in 1998. However, in 2006 they reunited. Five albums were produced by ATCQ during their first run, People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm (1990), The Low End Theory (1991), Midnight Marauders (1993), Beats, Rhymes and Life (1996), and The Love Movement (1998.) Currently, ATCQ is working on another album, The Lost Tribe, which is scheduled for release sometime later this year.

The colors chosen for this concept exemplify ATCQ's style about love and harmony, as seen on the cover for their debut album, People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm. These colors are jazzy and bright, which also fits them well, considering they helped move hip hop/jazz a long way.

ATCQPeoplesInstinctTravels.jpg

The home uniforms have the ATCQ logo in white, (as it is on all three uniforms) on a purple jersey with green and yellow striping. These stripes, at least to me, almost give these threads a soccer uniform kind of feel. Either way, they are unique and fit extremely well here. The collar is in the tie down style and is green, along with the pants, to have some contrast between the purple uniforms and socks, which display the same striping on the uniforms, just in a horizontal fashion. Gloves are primarily purple with the striping on the middle portion of it, and domes are purple. The number font is the Houston Texans font, which I think looks extraordinarily great with this concept and are green, outlined in gold. Names are have the same color and outline, but are a standard block font, as opposed to the Texans name font which has slight differences, in that some of she letters have slanted tops and/or bottoms (I believe C, G, J, and S are the only letters that do this.) That's all for the homes folks.

The aways switch colors around so that white is more prevalent (obviously), but took me a while to make. Mostly just tweaks, but I still could have went either way with some of these details. Collars are the same color as the homes, this time with a yellow lace, numbers are now yellow, outlined in purple (could have used green for the outline), and the striping pattern is now white/purple/white/purple/etc. (again, could have used green here too.) The reason why I used purple here is because purple is the color of the home primary. I was contemplating making green as the primary uniform, but in the end went with purple because I feel that it is ever so slightly more unique to ATCQ. Now, you may notice a tiny yellow line on the socks (above the top purple stripe and below the bottom white stripe.) I only did this because that bottom white stripe would have been unseen without that yellow there, and it would have looked unbalanced compared to the socks on the home and alternate. This is why you see two thin white lines on the home and alternate's socks.

The home alternates basically switch purple and green. That's really it as far as the alternates go. Like I said, I was torn between making green or purple as the primary. Purple was slightly more unique, and as I am typing this, I just realized that team Mike Jones has green primary unis. I guess it is good to be different, you know.

Miscellaneous: I love the Texans number font. Usually for the HHHL I put the years the artists were around or years they were born. Well, I went a bit more specific for these numbers. All members of ATCQ were born in 1970, so 70 was thrown out the window (or so I thought.) ATCQ's first album was released on April 17, 1990, their fifth album on September 29, 1998, and their fourth album on July 30, 1996. But wait, the number 30 is not used! That's right, because I couldn't get the 3 exactly how I wanted it. It was always slightly asymmetrical by the slimmest of margins. In fact, nobody would ever know this unless I said something, but I take pride in this stuff, I love drawing, and I wanted to get everything perfect down to the very pixel. So I did. I kept the 0 and slapped a 7 right in front of it, making 70 (as I previously mentioned, the birth year of all the members of ATCQ.) I wanted to have as much variety of the numbers as I could for the Texans font, so considering the highest amount of different numbers I could have on these three uniforms is six, five ain't bad. :D

That's all for A Tribe Called Quest and part 11 of the Hip Hop Hockey League. C & C would be greatly appreciated, so thank you for your potential responses.

Primary uniforms:

ATCQprimariesfinal.png

Alternate uniform:

ATCQalternatefinal.png

-E.A.R.

Oh my god, these are crazy. I like them, but they are crazy looking. I really wish the colors were black, red, and green, and maybe a little yellow, but that decision is up to you. I don't really know what else to say, I like 'em but they're crazy.

Linden Blvd. represent, represent-sent, New York City represent, represent-sent, when I'm in the zone, I'm never hesitant, my favorite jam back in the day was Eric B for president!

Not bad, but I would have liked to see a Love Movement concept in white and silver.

Archived