Cleveland Indians Caps: Silver Outlines?

BallWonk

Before5882795.jpg

aftersabathia.jpg

beforealomar-clev1.jpg

aftersports07060607.jpg

Each one of their newer jerseys is a massive downgrade from the previous. I think the worst is the road. Their current road jersey is absolutely terrible, whereas the last one was great. As I'm sure many remember, during that era the Indians probably wore navy on the road 4 out of 5 games (and that was a great look for them). It was great to see the gray top come out every now and then. It was always kind of a treat. I was in downtown Chicago yesterday for jury duty, and I saw a guy wearing an authentic mid 90's gray Indians jersey. It brought a tear to my eye. It was glorious.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

As long as Wahoo is the logo the Indians' uniforms will always be sub-par IMO.

:rolleyes:

Here come the PC police....

Chief Wahoo = One of the best logos in all of sports. Im not talking about the old school one I have in my av, but the current, modern day Chief is among the best, if not THEE best.

Does anyone know where to buy a pre-2002 Indians hat, preferably the road cap? I remember seeing a post a while ago (several years ago maybe?) with a site that sold many old, authentic MLB hats from the 90s but I cna't find it.

Mickey's Place has both the home and road, but in very limited sizes. Note the differences in the embroidery as well.

99705325sg8.jpg

24472766us3.jpg

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Chief Wahoo = One of the best logos in all of sports. Im not talking about the old school one I have in my av, but the current, modern day Chief is among the best, if not THEE best.

Totally agree. Chief Wahoo is one of the best (if not the best) cap logos in baseball. Other good ones are the Orioles primary, Devil Rays (yes, you read correctly), Padres. I also like the Blue Jays J Bird cap, though others may strongly disagree, it has grown on me. The Indians eliminated silver from their color scheme after the 2001 season. That is also the year that Chief Wahoo became smaller (should have left the caps alone IMO.) The sets from 1994 (I believe) until 2001 were awesome. Silver is unnecessary in the Tribe's threads. Their current uniforms are not horrible, but are a definite downgrade from the previous set. Also, were the caps with the big Chief Wahoo (1994-2001) black? I have one and I think it's black. I also have an Indians cap from the 2002-present set, and it is navy blue.

-E.A.R.

Totally agree. Chief Wahoo is one of the best (if not the best) cap logos in baseball. Other good ones are the Orioles primary, Devil Rays (yes, you read correctly), Padres. I also like the Blue Jays J Bird cap, though others may strongly disagree, it has grown on me. The Indians eliminated silver from their color scheme after the 2001 season. That is also the year that Chief Wahoo became smaller (should have left the caps alone IMO.) The sets from 1994 (I believe) until 2001 were awesome. Silver is unnecessary in the Tribe's threads. Their current uniforms are not horrible, but are a definite downgrade from the previous set. Also, were the caps with the big Chief Wahoo (1994-2001) black? I have one and I think it's black. I also have an Indians cap from the 2002-present set, and it is navy blue.

-E.A.R.

I'm pretty sure that when the Indians made Chief Wahoo smaller they also lightened the shade of blue in the caps. Before 2002 they used a very dark navy, but it was never black.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Does anyone know where to buy a pre-2002 Indians hat, preferably the road cap? I remember seeing a post a while ago (several years ago maybe?) with a site that sold many old, authentic MLB hats from the 90s but I cna't find it.

Mickey's Place has both the home and road, but in very limited sizes. Note the differences in the embroidery as well.

Damn... I'm looking for 7 3/8. Distant Replays has a bunch of older Indians hats also but I can't find them.

Thank you for the link to Mickey's Place though! I'm sure that's the one I was thinking of.

asu-tillman-in-memory-banner.jpg

Note the differences in the embroidery as well.

Yeah, that change happened when I was in college, about the time between my first fitted Indians cap (which was exactly like the first one you posted) and the second one I ever got (which was the second one you posted, the road cap). I think that at or around that time, almost all MLB teams went from flat embroidery to 3d embroidery for their logos.

I have to say, that is my ONLY complaint with the new, smaller, silver outlined Chief Wahoo on the caps. The detail in the logo embroidery has gone WAY down. It looks like everything below the nose is now more flat, and the nose and above is higher (excluding the feather, which seems to have always remained flat), which is really the only 3d effect it seems to have now. So in making it smaller, they also took that opportunity to simplify the 3d embroidery, which I don't like. But I will say, overall, I like the smaller logo in general, because I don't like ANY large cap logos. It really is the reason I can't (now that I live in Canada) bring myself to buy a Blue Jays gamer... That cap logo is just MONSTROUSLY huge! I bought a Twins Franchise version of that, with a much smaller version of the J/Bird logo on it, and the smaller logo looks 100% better.

Huge cap logos are just... what's the word I'm looking for here? Like the decor in my grandmother's super-Italian house. Gaudy! That's the word.

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

Archived