Cuban accuses Nelson of cheating.

TFoA

Mark Cuban is suing Warriors HC Don Nelson for using insider info against the Mavs. No link, saw it on the Final Score.

My thoughts: "WAH WAH WAH" says Cuban.

Are you serious. Cuban's team should have one it last year but could not lcose out the Heat & now he is pissed because the 8 seed beat the 1 seed.

What does he think if you leave a team & go somewhere else you should not use your knowledge. Give me a break.

For those who follow the Mavs or just live in the metroplex, this is fairly old news. Cuban and Nelson are still fighting over the terms of Nelson's contact when Don quit in the middle of the 2005 season. He was still getting paid before taking over GWS and thinks he still should nbe paid by Cuban.

From my time in Dallas (2000-2006), Cuban was trying to keep it private, but Nellie was going on 1310 "The Ticket" and telling that he thought he was still owed money since it would have still been for "non-coaching" duties, like as "GM or President of Basketball Operations". Many things which his son, Donnie did/does under various titles. Some of this still may stem from the team's knowlegde of international players which the Mavvs have garnered over the past 5 years. My goodness, it seems as if they have 20 assistant coaches at various points in time.

While I don't immediately side with Cuban, Don Nelson did quit and played hardball with Cuban. I have no interest either way, but won't necessarily that Nelson is in the right. The following is from dallasnews.com. not all of the story will be copied.

Cuban-Nellie feud intensifies

Mavs owner sues former coach, claims inside info helped Warriors pull playoff upset

04:08 PM CDT on Friday, June 29, 2007

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

esefko@dallasnews.com

The ever-darkening feud between Mavericks owner Mark Cuban and former coach Don Nelson has reached a new low.

That's essentially what it boils down to as Cuban has initiated legal action against the Golden State coach for using inside information about his former team in the regular season and in their epic first-round upset of the Mavs.

Nelson said Friday that he was surprised by Cuban's move and figured it was a reaction to the arbitration Nelson has filed against Cuban over about $6.5 million in deferred money that Nelson and former Mavericks owner Ross Perot Jr. have said is owed to Nelson from the Perot era.

"I'm embarrassed by the whole thing," Nelson said.

Thumbs up? Not when it comes to the Mark Cuban-Don Nelson relationship.

It should be noted, however, that the Golden State hex over the Mavericks started in 2005-06, when Mike Montgomery was coaching the Warriors and they won three out of four games over the Mavs despite owning a far inferior record.

Cuban, who is having hip-replacement surgery Friday, could not immediately be reached for comment.

But it's clear that the bottom line is about money. Nelson had resigned his coaching position with the Mavericks in March, 2004. He was paid for one more season at his coaching salary, then was to begin work in a consultant's role at a greatly reduced salary, believed to be $200,000 annually.

Cuban's claim is that taking the Golden State coaching position last summer violated a non-compete clause in Nelson's contract.

Archived