Memphis RiverKings become Mississippi RiverKings

therebelas

Checked the first 3 pages and didn't see this:

http://www.riverkings.com/news/index.html?article_id=1629

IMO, this name change makes no sense. Yes, the team physically plays in Mississippi and has for the past few years, but this is a team entering it's 16th season, so why change the name? On top of that, without Memphis, I guarantee you DeSoto County wouldn't have this team b/c there wouldn't be a population base. Plus, the Mississippi Sea Wolves (330 miles away but still) will return to the ECHL this season after a two year layoff b/c of Katrina.

Checked the first 3 pages and didn't see this:

http://www.riverkings.com/news/index.html?article_id=1629

IMO, this name change makes no sense. Yes, the team physically plays in Mississippi and has for the past few years, but this is a team entering it's 16th season, so why change the name? On top of that, without Memphis, I guarantee you DeSoto County wouldn't have this team b/c there wouldn't be a population base. Plus, the Mississippi Sea Wolves (330 miles away but still) will return to the ECHL this season after a two year layoff b/c of Katrina.

I think they merely got tired of all the "Southhaven" jokes and accusations that they shouldn't draw on Memphis or Tennessee when they aren't in either.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Barely related, but what's up with the jersey on the dude on the far left in the last part of the header image. I've never been to their games, but have casually been a fan, and I thought they had the primary on their jerseys (except wacky promo jerseys, of course). Am I seeing a turtle-head-holding-a-hockey-stick white jersey, or am I kinda nuts?

Also, when the header is flipping when it first loads, it looks like someone's wearing a Memphis "Cotton Kings" M logo jersey. Eh?

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

Yes, the local joke is exactly how much does Southaven need to grow before people start spelling the name of the city correctly?

See, I think changing the Memphis to Mississippi lessens the draw. They draw from a three state area, all of which is connected to Memphis in some way (whether it be you work there, moved from there but still work there, was born there, still shop there, etc...). To me, the team is saying "we only want people from Northwest Mississippi attending these games."

But yes, the Mississippi River(Kings) play on words is there, even though just a little sliver of DeSoto County where it's still very rural the river.

I actually see this as a good thing, they were never in Memphis so why should they be the Memphis River Kings. Mississippi is a much better fit. Plus if the fans know who the River Kings are should the attendance go down, a little bit, but the true fans will know where to go

I actually see this as a good thing, they were never in Memphis so why should they be the Memphis River Kings. Mississippi is a much better fit. Plus if the fans know who the River Kings are should the attendance go down, a little bit, but the true fans will know where to go

Yeah that first 10 years they played at the old Mid-South Coliseum in midtown Memphis never happened...

I used to live in Memphis and when the RiverKings first came to town I went to a lot of their games.

Their first head coach in team history was Steve Carlson who played one of the Hanson Brothers in Slapshot!

They had a great original logo. I left Memphis in 1995 so I had no idea that they played in Southaven until about a year ago.

I saw their new logo with a cartoon turtle and couldn't help but laugh. My how their identity has changed.

I used to live in Memphis and when the RiverKings first came to town I went to a lot of their games.

Their first head coach in team history was Steve Carlson who played one of the Hanson Brothers in Slapshot!

They had a great original logo. I left Memphis in 1995 so I had no idea that they played in Southaven until about a year ago.

I saw their new logo with a cartoon turtle and couldn't help but laugh. My how their identity has changed.

Ahh yes, that old logo was a classic.

memphis_riverkings_1994.gif

If you haven't been around here in 12 years, I doubt you'd recognize Southaven or most of DeSoto County, for that matter. Shoot when you lived here, Hickory Hill hadn't been annexed yet and was still considered nice. :D I can remember how rural places like DeSoto, Cordova, and SE Memphis were from driving up here to go shopping my first couple years at Ole Miss (96, 97, 98) compared to when I moved here after grad school (03). Now, it's Fayette and Tipton County that are growing astronomically, but I can say I'm at least supporting the tax base by buying inside the city.

If you haven't been around here in 12 years, I doubt you'd recognize Southaven or most of DeSoto County, for that matter. Shoot when you lived here, Hickory Hill hadn't been annexed yet and was still considered nice. :D I can remember how rural places like DeSoto, Cordova, and SE Memphis were from driving up here to go shopping my first couple years at Ole Miss (96, 97, 98) compared to when I moved here after grad school (03). Now, it's Fayette and Tipton County that are growing astronomically, but I can say I'm at least supporting the tax base by buying inside the city.

Yeah, I know what you mean...it's amazing how things have changed.

I went back last week to visit my mother and I couldn't believe how different things were.

Apparently going to Hickory Ridge Mall is not a good idea

There's actually something in Collierville now...some huge shopping center in the middle of nowhere.

Cordova is booming

The Mall of Memphis doesn't exist

There isn't anywhere in Memphis to get authentic sports gear anymore. The Mall of Memphis used to have some good sports stores, but I really didn't find anything. There was one semi-decent store in Peabody place, but it wasn't much.

Yeah, I know what you mean...it's amazing how things have changed.

I went back last week to visit my mother and I couldn't believe how different things were.

Apparently going to Hickory Ridge Mall is not a good idea

There's actually something in Collierville now...some huge shopping center in the middle of nowhere.

Cordova is booming

The Mall of Memphis doesn't exist

There isn't anywhere in Memphis to get authentic sports gear anymore. The Mall of Memphis used to have some good sports stores, but I really didn't find anything. There was one semi-decent store in Peabody place, but it wasn't much.

The only thing booming in Cordova is for sale signs...not sold houses, just for sale signs. It's amazing what a few Section 8 vouchers can do for an area. Same thing that happened to Hickory Hill, really...

I replied to your PM -- I'll check with a couple guys; my gut tells me Tiger Bookstore right off campus will be the way to go.

Yes, that "lifestyle center" in Collierville is something else, isn't it? Wal-Mart is building a supercenter where the Mall of Memphis used to be. Apparently it's the largest shopping mall in the country to 100% close or something like that.

I live in Youngstown and our 2 year hockey team is in the CHL. Can someone explain to me how the hell that is the case when the closest team is all the way down with these RiverKings!!!

Would you agree the Steelhounds should be in the ECHL?

I live in Youngstown and our 2 year hockey team is in the CHL. Can someone explain to me how the hell that is the case when the closest team is all the way down with these RiverKings!!!

Would you agree the Steelhounds should be in the ECHL?

You are in the CHL because the nice folks who built and operate your arena work almost exclusively with the CHL...geography be damned.

Yes though, the Steelhounds do belong in the ECHL, and when their initial 3 year deal is up with the CHL, I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to jump leagues.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived