I'm Sure Selig would love this

mydogisgomez

Tell me why 29 people should forbid, or even be able to forbid, somebody from buying a baseball team. What if Cuban is the highest bidder? The Tribune has a fiduciary responsibility to sell to him.

Welcome to reality....

Anyway, what you are purchasing, is the privilege of owning a franchise in a Professional Sports League. One that possesses a federal anti-trust exemption to boot. It is legally up to the other franchise owners to decide if they want you in.

Anyway...let's suppose that Pablo Escobar was still alive, and decided he wanted to own a MLB team, and he was the highest bidder for it. Would you really, really want this guy to own a team in your league?

(Yes...bad analogy...but I'm trying to make a point.)

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Anyway...let's suppose that Pablo Escobar was still alive, and decided he wanted to own a MLB team, and he was the highest bidder for it. Would you really, really want this guy to own a team in your league?

(Yes...bad analogy...but I'm trying to make a point.)

Hmm, you think the ghost of Pablo Escobar could use his supernatural powers as a ghost to break the Curse of the Billy Goat?

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

But it's just Mark Cuban. All he does is turn franchises around, show passion for his team, introduce new statistical analysis, and bring attention and revenue to his team and the league. Can't have anyone shaking up the status quo. If you're against Mark Cuban, that means you're for Jerry Reinsdorf, Peter Angelos, and Bud Selig. Which side are you on?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The NBA stopped Bob Arum from buying (and moving to New Orleans) the Timberwolves in the early 1990s. I suspect it was legal to do so. I also supsect that the reason they did so was because he was a boxing promotor.

As for Selig, I would argue that he, a long time Milwaukee baseball fan that used to own the Brewers, would have a conflict of interest due to Cuban's likely willingness to spend money to improve a Brewer division rival.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

As a shareholder of Tribune stock, they had better sell the team to Mark Cuban if he is the highest bidder. MLB may have an anti-trust exemption, the the SEC and TRB shareholders would have a VERY big issue if such a valueable asset is not sold for as much as it can be sold for.

My fear would be if baseball refused to publish what all of the bids are.

As for MLB blocking the deal... In Piazza v. Major League Baseball (1993), Vince Piazza sued baseball after it blocked San Francisco Giants owner Bob Lurie from selling the team to Piazza, who planned to move it to St. Petersburg, Fla. MLB then approved a sale, for $15 million less, to Peter Magowan that kept the team in San Francisco. A federal judge ruled that baseball's restrictions on team relocation were not protected by the anti trust exemption. However, the judge then ordered a trial to further explore whether he was incorrect about the scope of baseball's exemption. On the eve of trial, Piazza reportedly received a $6 million settlement from MLB and the hearing never happened.

That would have been strange if Vince Piazza brought the Giants with Mike coming up with the Dodgers a year later. I never realized Mike Piazza's father was part of the group that tried to bring the Giants to Tampa.

That could have caused a chain reaction of events from dare I say it Tommy Lasorda leaving the Dodgers to go to Tampa with the Giants.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

But it's just Mark Cuban. All he does is turn franchises around, show passion for his team, introduce new statistical analysis, and bring attention and revenue to his team and the league. Can't have anyone shaking up the status quo. If you're against Mark Cuban, that means you're for Jerry Reinsdorf, Peter Angelos, and Bud Selig. Which side are you on?

The side that's a Cardinals fan... ^_^

(hey...what's bad for the Cubs is good for the Cards...)

As for your list of attributes....

Turn franchises around: The Cubs have been surging as of late, and have been trying to make a splash in free agency without Cuban. They don't need him to turn things around. (an exorcist, maybe..)

Show passion for the team: I'm sure any prospective owner would do that.

Introduce new statistical analysis: Quite frankly, this is the last thing baseball needs.

Bring attention and revenue to his team and the league: It's the flippin' Cubs!! Everybody knows about the Cubs (yes, from the lovable loser standpoint). Thanks to the Tribune Company's marketing, that team brought in tons of revenue already. I find it hard to see how he could increase the stream (short of demolishing the friendly confines)

Anyway...I wouldn't be so quick to toss "lovable loser"...think of the Red Sox. It used to be that folks felt sorry for them and they had a special (media-inflated) identity for not winning the World Series. Now they are just another baseball team, albeit loathed by the other 29 fanbases.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

ESPN has a story about Mark Cuban wanting to buy the Chicago Cubs. I can already see his own personal committee being put in place to judge how umpires call balls and strikes. That being said, the guy hates to lose and backs it up with $$$. May be what the doctor ordered.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2934920

he needs to give the nationals an actual owner.

The side that's a Cardinals fan... ^_^

(hey...what's bad for the Cubs is good for the Cards...)

As for your list of attributes....

Turn franchises around: The Cubs have been surging as of late, and have been trying to make a splash in free agency without Cuban. They don't need him to turn things around. (an exorcist, maybe..)

Show passion for the team: I'm sure any prospective owner would do that.

Introduce new statistical analysis: Quite frankly, this is the last thing baseball needs.

Bring attention and revenue to his team and the league: It's the flippin' Cubs!! Everybody knows about the Cubs (yes, from the lovable loser standpoint). Thanks to the Tribune Company's marketing, that team brought in tons of revenue already. I find it hard to see how he could increase the stream (short of demolishing the friendly confines)

Anyway...I wouldn't be so quick to toss "lovable loser"...think of the Red Sox. It used to be that folks felt sorry for them and they had a special (media-inflated) identity for not winning the World Series. Now they are just another baseball team, albeit loathed by the other 29 fanbases.

The Red Sox have done just fine since winning the World Series. They haven't suffered any from the fan bases that now hate them... they still travel better than any team in the League, and their fan base has grown. Why should I, or they care, if Cardinals fans or any other non-Red Sox fans, hate them?

IUe6Hvh.png

We got it right with RBI and ERA. You're dadgum right.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

We got it right with RBI and ERA. You're dadgum right.

Moving away from INDIVIDUAL stats that depend on what OTHER people on the team do...

Cuban would be good for the Cubs and good for baseball.

The only reason I don't want to see him buy the cubs is because all my cub friends will become even more insufferable. Most likely thats not a good enough reason.

Archived