The Pacific League Redux

BB61

Alright... last fall I posted a few concepts for this, and they weren't very good. In fact, I got so discouraged that I put the project down for the winter, and picked it up again when I found Swiss's template and redesigned my fantasy club, the Philadelphia Blackbirds. I'm going to try and get these done by the end of baseball season, and so periodically you'll see a few here and there.

The story is this -- a friend of mine is writing a bunch of stories about a ficticious league, the Pacific League, which is made up of twelve (soon to be fourteen) teams on the west coast. Don't ask me any details, but she's really into it, and when she saw some of my concepts, she asked if I could help out.

Now, as I post these and you post your comments, please keep in mind two things:

1. I had no say in the nicknames or the colors, and though I have / had a little bit of say in how it was presented and in tweaking the numbers.

2. Though I welcome what you folks have to say about these, I'm more interested in what my friend thinks about them, since I'm making these for her.

...so if I don't seem terribly receptive to your ideas, please don't think I'm patsox-ing you guys. I respect most of the opinions of these boards, especially since y'all are better at this than me.

So here we go, starting with the Spokane Greens.

SpokaneGreens.jpg

I figured for such a simple concept, I'd keep the look simple. Two colors at home, two colors on the road, and then black all over the third, to modernize it. The only thing I shouldn't have done (and may make a change) is to put black on the brim of the BP hat when there is none on the BP shirt.

Anyway, comments are appreciated, and I'll be putting up more over the next few days / weeks.

philly.png

EDIT: MOD DELETED

Seriously these are good, but I think what you should do is bring in a little more black to the primary mark at least a black and white border, after that I say it is good

But since you have no say in all, I say you did a pretty damn good job

Alright... last fall I posted a few concepts for this, and they weren't very good. In fact, I got so discouraged that I put the project down for the winter, and picked it up again when I found Swiss's template and redesigned my fantasy club, the Philadelphia Blackbirds. I'm going to try and get these done by the end of baseball season, and so periodically you'll see a few here and there.

The story is this -- a friend of mine is writing a bunch of stories about a ficticious league, the Pacific League, which is made up of twelve (soon to be fourteen) teams on the west coast. Don't ask me any details, but she's really into it, and when she saw some of my concepts, she asked if I could help out.

Now, as I post these and you post your comments, please keep in mind two things:

1. I had no say in the nicknames or the colors, and though I have / had a little bit of say in how it was presented and in tweaking the numbers.

2. Though I welcome what you folks have to say about these, I'm more interested in what my friend thinks about them, since I'm making these for her.

...so if I don't seem terribly receptive to your ideas, please don't think I'm patsox-ing you guys. I respect most of the opinions of these boards, especially since y'all are better at this than me.

So here we go, starting with the Spokane Greens.

SpokaneGreens.jpg

I figured for such a simple concept, I'd keep the look simple. Two colors at home, two colors on the road, and then black all over the third, to modernize it. The only thing I shouldn't have done (and may make a change) is to put black on the brim of the BP hat when there is none on the BP shirt.

Anyway, comments are appreciated, and I'll be putting up more over the next few days / weeks.

Can I get the name of that font? It looks great.

You know, I rarely visit ccslsc anymore. I really should fix that.

Wrong kind of leaf, especially for that name. :)

I love these! The only suggestion I have is the outlining--green-white-green doesn't work that well on this. I'd go with green with a white outline--it's not as fancy-pants but I think it'd look better.

But these are great, man!

I think Spokane Greens is a good nickname for a team in the northwest. However, my biggest beef is the logo. A clover? Yes they are green, but so are all other plants. What is the reasoning behind choosing that icon? When I see a clover I think Irish/Celtics not Pacific Northwest. So unless there is a large Irish population or an overwhelming abundance of clovers in Spokane. I think something that is more symbolic of the Pacific Northwest would be better suited, so I'm going to suggest an evergreen tree. With that it's your call whether you should darken the green to make it more "forest-y" or keep the kelly green.

Regarding the uniforms, since your logo is specifically green and white, I'd tone down the black. If you want to add a teensy amount of black as an accent color to keep the alternate that'd be an improvement too. I agree with your thought that you should nix the black billed cap for the BP. All green or even a white cap with a green bill.

Overall, my biggest beef with the concept is the identity of the clover. Change it to an evergreen and include the black a bit better and you've got a winning concept.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

I totally agree with the "choice of leaf" comments. This is what my friend requested:

Spokane Greens green and white (white/gray, green socks) Green S with a shamrock in the lower crook

I'm sure there is some sort of backstory to why she chose that name. Honestly, I didn't even think of that until you guys mentioned it. I think that would work better, but let me ask my friend first before I go ahead and make that change. I may also change the black uniform to green with a black shirt and black piping. She really, really liked the black though, even though it doesn't tie in too much.

Thank you guys for your comments!

And patsox, if you must know, that is how the font came. If you actually used fonts other than Times New Roman and the block fonts, you might know that. And before you go telling people not to post things that are "jagged and sloppy,"

EDIT: MOD DELETED

Any other comments? :hockeysmiley:

philly.png

And patsox, if you must know, that is how the font came. If you actually used fonts other than Times New Roman and the block fonts, you might know that. And before you go telling people not to post things that are "jagged and sloppy,"

FOLLOW YOUR OWN ADVICE FIRST, D*CKHEAD!!

Any other comments? :hockeysmiley:

I was going to use maz's pot/kettle picture, but I think you handled it quite well!

Now about the concept. I love the overall look. The logo is very nice, although a bit plain, and the wordmark is excellent. I love the black and green alternate, very classy yet modern. Overall A!

I don't know what he said, and I don't wanna know. However, the CTC implores everyone to please follow the quarantine procedures. Thank you.

Anyway, the concept is really nice, I love the font, and the logo is really creative, works really well. I would fix the area where the S and the leaf join, to make it look less forced, but other than that it's very nice. Can't wait to see what you come up with next!

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

Thanks again for everyone's replies. Like I said, I'll work on the Greens as I'm doing some of the other ones, as it's an ongoing project.

Next up, the Orange County Oranges. Yup. You got it.

Three things to note about this team.

1) My friend's usual fantasy name is the Stolen Oranges. So that was one inspiration.

2) The team in her stories is owned by a Japanese corporate conglamorite of some sort, so I wanted to reflect that somehow.

3) COnsidering the team's proximity to LA and the fact that my friend hates the Dodgers, I patterened this concept (almost exactly) after the Dodgers.

>> UPDATED <<

The Orange graphic is not mine. Everything else is. The only thing I went against here is that she wanted a cream-colored home jersey, but I stuck with the white because I didn't realise that I had done it in cream the first time, and I liked the white.

Keep the comments comin', and I'll post the next one sometime tomorrow night.

philly.png

As one of the top fan of the Colour ORANGE, I say MORE ORANGE!!!!

Now for the fruit: Looks like there's too many sections, (don't have any oranges in the house ... other than my wife :) to compare) It makes the circle too bussy.

Otherwise, It's a pretty "KISS" concept!!!

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

Thanks again for everyone's replies. Like I said, I'll work on the Greens as I'm doing some of the other ones, as it's an ongoing project.

Next up, the Orange County Oranges. Yup. You got it.

Three things to note about this team.

1) My friend's usual fantasy name is the Stolen Oranges. So that was one inspiration.

2) The team in her stories is owned by a Japanese corporate conglamorite of some sort, so I wanted to reflect that somehow.

3) COnsidering the team's proximity to LA and the fact that my friend hates the Dodgers, I patterened this concept (almost exactly) after the Dodgers.

(image removed)

The Orange graphic is not mine. Everything else is. The only thing I went against here is that she wanted a cream-colored home jersey, but I stuck with the white because I didn't realise that I had done it in cream the first time, and I liked the white.

Keep the comments comin', and I'll post the next one sometime tomorrow night.

It might be cliche, but you might want to consider interlocking the "OC" on the main cap logo, and since it is Orange County, I'd also think about making the "O" orange, and the "C" white.

Oh, and I love how you snuck in those specific numbers.

Can I pleeeeeeeeeease see a cream home? :D

Anyway, great concepts overall.

yes, it is...i really like that cream jersey, looks old school in a way

Thanks. It almost look slike a combo of the Giants and the Dodgers, now that I look at it.

philly.png

yes, it is...i really like that cream jersey, looks old school in a way

Thanks. It almost look slike a combo of the Giants and the Dodgers, now that I look at it.

Brooklyn Dodgers anyone?

:D

Well, now that the home is cream, should the white in the logo and socks be cream as well?

Also, can I see a close up of the road script?

Archived