Penn State Lions concept

Turkleton

First concept in a while, been trying a few things regarding my presentation and working on a few seperate concepts.

So anyway, heres the latest one, Penn State Nittany Lions

I chose the Lions because I find the current set boring. Im all for keeping it simple but it just seemed too plain. So I added some white and silver and added stripes to the helmet. Nothing to drastic, just something to liven it up a bit. Im also not really a fan of the logo so I designed a new one. I didnt want to deviate too much, rather I just wanted to make it look more like a lion while keeping a certain simplicity. I toyed with shadowns and outlines for the script, but there was something about that block colour, simple look I kept coming back to and liking more and more

I'm trying to take much more time on my latest concepts, which I hope shows in this one. Any C&C always appreciated

Cheers

lionscr4.png

sigen.jpg

This is one of those concepts that you pretty much have to take at face value and ignore that the poster is "messing with tradition".

Stand alone, it's not bad. I like the direction, and I like that it's different while keeping some semblance of cleanliness and tradition.

philly.png

Given the tradition that PSU has, I wouldn't like this on the field. I think Penn State looks classy and shouldn't change ever. However, that doesn't detract from the quality of the concept that you put out here. You did a fantastic job at creating a new logo (I assume you designed it) while maintaining a connection to the history of the school. Same thing with the uniforms. I'm not wild on the side stripe, but that's really the only thing that I can complain about. Fantastic job overall.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

Detaching this from Penn State and judging it for what it is, it's OK. My gripes with it have nothing to do with violating the sanctity of Penn State's special love for all things plain and unchanging.

1. The numbers just don't say "big-time college football" to me. Furthermore, the numbers may be so thick that a true double-digit number above #19 may not fit comfortably across the body of the uniform. It's one thing to try and be unique, but that shouldn't compromise the overall image a team is trying to project. This font projects old Arena League more than college football powerhouse IMO.

2. The helmet logo relies mostly on negative space to convey the silhouette of a lion. That's hard enough to see looking at a large static image; what do you think that will look like to a TV viewer or anyone in the stands? It would look like an undefinable blob of navy on a white helmet. It's creative, but it fails at its primary aim - team identification. Think of the Dallas Cowboys' star; though I hate the team, you see that star and you know exactly who's playing. Same for Tennessee's Power T, or Clemson's white tiger paw. Logos can - and should - be simple and make their point easily. Yours is simple but doesn't easily show what it is supposed to be, and that detracts seriously from its use as a helmet logo. Even the PSU "chipmunk" logo would work better; the facial features are better defined by the navy strokes rather than just relying on a negative-space silhouette.

3. Gray is listed as part of the color palette, but I don't see it anywhere on the uniform. A little gray, used in the right places, would add a little something. Piping maybe, or something to offset the colored inserts. Were it darker, it could liven up the helmet logo and better define the facial features of the lion.

I give you credit for thinking outside the box and being willing to tackle a sacred institution. But on its merits alone, it still needs some work.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I will be taking these comments and looking at it again, even if I dont post the updated version

There is silver on there. There is silver piping on both jerseys between the blue and the white on the sides and also around the numbers. Hard to see because of the size it comes up on the board, but its on there, promise :D

sigen.jpg

You say the current set is too plain, but I honestly see this as plain too. Granted it is surely not as plain as what they currently wear, but it sure isn't an improvement. The number font does nothing for me either.

Dont even bother making a concept. As long as JoePa is around, and probably even after, their uniforms have almost no chance of changing, I just dont ever see it happening.

So nobody should exercise their creativity and have a little fun? Come on.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dont even bother making a concept. As long as JoePa is around, and probably even after, their uniforms have almost no chance of changing, I just dont ever see it happening.

So nobody should exercise their creativity and have a little fun? Come on.

The kinda thing andysoccer said annoys me. Nothing personnal, I just mean that some people do tend to jump on people here for "breaking with tradition"

I can understand that in a way, but I dont want to replace the current sets or logos for any teams. Well, maybe a FEW....But mainly, Im in no way intending to send my concepts off to whatever team and even if I did I doubt I would be taken seriously. I just do it cos I love designing and playing around and its just my interpretation of whatever team im doing. I do enjoy the feedback, good and bad, as it helps me improve, but to say I shouldnt even bother cos PSL wont ever change their uniforms? Im not saying they will, but if I PERSONALLY have an idea for a logo or uni set, I wanna put them down on good ol' MS Paint and see what you guys think.

Sorry, I went on a rant there, and the majority of people who give feedback are good and are very helpful. I just think its unfair on ALL designers here to have their designs brushed over just because it doesnt stick with a strict tradition

sigen.jpg

Archived