Las vegas expos

NJTank

:(  Sorry, Brian, I'm not INTENTIONALLY yanking your chain!

Your posts are always insightful, you're always courteous, as are most CC'ers, and the more sarcastic ones are quite funny actually.  As "Brian In Boston" you must be enjoying the Patsies' mini-dynasty in progress.  Las Vegas big leagues teams?  The gambling is THE big hurdle, I'm attracted to the surreal fun of Sin City pro teams, go figure!  This WAS your thread you started, and all.

"The Amazing Fabwell... Knows All... SEES All... Tells NOTHING!!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How is this really possible?  I thought Vegas was never a contender for any team with all the gambling going on.

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

I wasn't going to jump in, but...

First off, gambling is probably the only thing stopping LV from landing a major-league franchise, but eventually, even that will be overlooked. They won't get the Expos, they're a pawn in that game, but it's only a matter of time before one of the big four roll into town.

My bet would be NHL or NBA, indoor sports that can draw locals and tourists alike. The NFL or MLB could also do well there with a retractable roof stadium.

A lot of people have argued that Vegas is all tourists, and tourists don't go to games. First off, that's wrong. Plenty of people who take in a game when they travel.

Second, the Las Vegas metro area has a very large population base, comparable with Indanapolis, Charlotte and Milwaukee.

It's the fastest growing city in the U.S., and within the next few years will pass Indy, Norfolk, Providence and Columbus in size.

Its metro area is larger than 10 others that are currently home to the big 4 sports:

Milwaukee

Charlotte

Nashville

New Orleans

Memphis

Jacksonville

Buffalo

Salt Lake City

Raleigh

Green Bay

Those represent 15 franchises that could potentially move to a larger and in many cases, more profitable market, not that all are candidates.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

Why would you say that nitro.

THe Jaguars are rebuilding I think its the right decision.

Maybe he chose the wrong Coach, but I think the team is going in the right direction.

They got a new QB in Byuron Leftwich to build around. They had a farily good defense this year. I say in a year or two they will be a contender again.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Agreed about Jacksonville, as for the Expos, I think they should stay in Canada. Vancouver would be a great place to have a ball club. Here in Canada it's a haven for baseball players. Many of the players being drafted into the majors are from Vancouver. A few years back 2 British Columbians were drafted in the top 10. And with the large asian market there, i think the baseball craze coming out of that area will have a great affect on the baseball club. It will be unfortunate to see the club move to another city in the USofA, after all, we are losing many of our sports teams.

3JymF.png

I think they could pull that off, after all, they just got the 2006 world juniors and have had many potential chances to land the olympics. If Vancouver really wanted too, i think they could pull it off, other than that I could see the Washington D.C. area working, and even Norfolk.

3JymF.png

If you want to learn more about Portland's efforts to steal the Expos, go to www.oregonstadiumcampaign.com

At first, I was for MLB in Portland, and was a member of this campaign, until I saw the attitudes of the people running it. So while I would normally want a team in Portland, I hope they don't land a team at all because of this particular group in charge of things there...

Archived