Eagles in Throwbacks

SmoothieX

One side note on these Eagles uniforms - I do remember (and it's pretty hard to find photo evidence) that the Eagles wore metallic green helmets when they introduced these uniforms back in 1974. It seems like the metallic green was dropped after only one or two seasons. I guess it was more cost-effective to use an impregnated green shell instead of painting one metallic green back in those days. Plus a lot of Eagle players wore Maxpro helmets (painted on the inside of a clear shell) and maybe the metallic didn't come through as well as plain green.

I found a photo of the metallic green helmet on www.nflphotolibrary.com:

7796643.jpg From 1974 against the Chargers.

9108893.jpg From 1976 against the Falcons.

11951737.jpg From 1977 against the Rams...looks like it's no longer metallic.

Thats a nice find!

I for one am a huge fan of metallic helmets. I love how they look on the field. For example, The NY Giant helmets look so much better now then ever before and I believe its due in part to the metallic blue (and the return of the classic 'NY' of course) It just seems to make the helmets pop.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, I did this concept to see if by today's jersey standards if this look could have been pulled off! I googled a bunch of pics from that year and the only flag that came up was that on some jerseys and or players, the sleeves and stripes were cut just below the thick solid middle stripe. I saw this on a Jaworski, Carmichael and Herman Edwards jersey and my only guess would be that they did it for better arm movement thus possibly leading to the current NFL trend of having close to no sleeves at all! Mostly it was the linemen in some pics that had the full length sleeves with all the stripes which I used in this concept. The way I see that this could have been pulled off is by applying the 'Colts / Jets' shoulder stripes followed by screening on the other stripes as shown and for the bottom half of the sleeve on the older jerseys the last bit of green would be used in the elastic cuffs of the current jersey style. Now for being a Saints, fan (Note: See Signature Below) I will say that even though in my heart I hold a deep hatred for any other team besides them, I wouldn't mind for just one game seeing the Eagles, bust these out again! The artist in me has spoken.....Go Saints....what's left of us anyway!

CONCEPT81-Eagles75thAnniversary.jpg

NOTE: Ok I know on the back of the helmet the number is #20 instead of my #81 but that's because I originally had Brian Dawkins or Brian Westbrook, whoever is #20 on the Eagles, at first but then decided to put my name on the jersey so I wouldn't have to wordmark it.

Ok, I did this concept to see if by today's jersey standards if this look could have been pulled off! I googled a bunch of pics from that year and the only flag that came up was that on some jerseys and or players, the sleeves and stripes were cut just below the thick solid middle stripe. I saw this on a Jaworski, Carmichael and Herman Edwards jersey and my only guess would be that they did it for better arm movement thus possibly leading to the current NFL trend of having close to no sleeves at all! Mostly it was the linemen in some pics that had the full length sleeves with all the stripes which I used in this concept. The way I see that this could have been pulled off is by applying the 'Colts / Jets' shoulder stripes followed by screening on the other stripes as shown and for the bottom half of the sleeve on the older jerseys the last bit of green would be used in the elastic cuffs of the current jersey style. Now for being a Saints, fan (Note: See Signature Below) I will say that even though in my heart I hold a deep hatred for any other team besides them, I wouldn't mind for just one game seeing the Eagles, bust these out again! The artist in me has spoken.....Go Saints....what's left of us anyway!

CONCEPT81-Eagles75thAnniversary.jpg

NOTE: Ok I know on the back of the helmet the number is #20 instead of my #81 but that's because I originally had Brian Dawkins or Brian Westbrook, whoever is #20 on the Eagles, at first but then decided to put my name on the jersey so I wouldn't have to wordmark it....Ok I looked again and forgot that I did it anyway so big deal wanna' fight about it?

Just another butt-ugly throwback.

Throwbacks suck.

Not the Bills!!

The team on the other hand....

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

One side note on these Eagles uniforms - I do remember (and it's pretty hard to find photo evidence) that the Eagles wore metallic green helmets when they introduced these uniforms back in 1974. It seems like the metallic green was dropped after only one or two seasons. I guess it was more cost-effective to use an impregnated green shell instead of painting one metallic green back in those days. Plus a lot of Eagle players wore Maxpro helmets (painted on the inside of a clear shell) and maybe the metallic didn't come through as well as plain green.

I found a photo of the metallic green helmet on www.nflphotolibrary.com:

7796643.jpg From 1974 against the Chargers.

9108893.jpg From 1976 against the Falcons.

11951737.jpg From 1977 against the Rams...looks like it's no longer metallic.

Blue Falcon - excellent find! Most photo sites are blocked from where I'm posting now, and I didn't get a chance to look around last night.

bigdub81 - Nice job on the concept. I think you'll find most of the jerseys that don't have the 3-color bottom stripes are the fishnet versions. I remember Roman Gabriel wearing the "full" or "regular mesh fabric" jersey with all the stripes all the time, but Jaworski typically only wore the "full" version in very cold weather - and the jersey had a sewn-in handwarmer pocket in the front. During the Vermiel era (and until this set was retired for 1985) most players wore the fishnet jersey most of the time - like in Blue Falcon's 1976 & 1977 photos.

Archived