American Rugby League

kewp80

Ok, I know there is a Rugby League here in the states, but it's called the American National Rugby League, and isn't very big. This is more of a fantasy thing of mine, where Rugby is a bigger sport here in the United States, and is up there in the category of the MLS or AFL.

Anyways, here's how the project is gonna go down: First I'll be unveiling the league logo. Then I'll get to the real fun part, the team identities. There'll be 8 teams in the league, which are:

New York Tigers

Connecticut Knights

Philadelphia Maroons

Baltimore Bays

Chicago Spiders

San Francisco Blazers

Los Angeles Bandits

Vancouver RLFC

I through a Canadian team in there because it isn't the United States Rugby League, but the AMERICAN Rugby League, and Canada is in North AMERICA.

Anyways, enough talking, lets get this thing started! Here's the league logo:

ARL.png

Now I'm not the best in making logos so its not the best, but bring on that C&C anyways! :D

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You might cause a little confusion with the "ARL" name, that being the name of the Australian governing body of rugby league. The logo needs some work. Needs the stars and stripes integrated into the ball. Look at this logo for an idea of what I'm talking about:

123px-Rugby_League_Tri-Nations_Logo.png

Also, I would consider changing Connecticut's moniker so something different. At the moment its a mashup of the New York Knights and Connecticut Wildcats.

sig.png

Also, I would consider changing Connecticut's moniker so something different. At the moment its a mashup of the New York Knights and Connecticut Wildcats.

Haha, I was wondering if someone would catch that. I'll try to think of some other names.

Anyway, I kinda rushed the whole thing once I got an idea, so it definitely wasn't my best effort, I'll try and regroup today and put something out here that's a little bit better. Thanks for the C&C.

I was also thinking about playing with the league being called the American Super League, or ASL, I'll try that as well.

Check out my music!

Rugby League America? We have Rugby League International on the CCSLC boards (which is either dead or not dead depending on who you ask). We had some cool names for that.

I like the idea, personally. Go for it. ^_^

philly.png

Yeah, as an ex-rugger myself, I like the idea as well, although I wish you would have included a Texas team in the league. There is some good Rugby down here.

I like the league logo, too.

FsQiF2W.png

Haha, I was wondering if someone would catch that. I'll try to think of some other names.

Anyway, I kinda rushed the whole thing once I got an idea, so it definitely wasn't my best effort, I'll try and regroup today and put something out here that's a little bit better. Thanks for the C&C.

I was also thinking about playing with the league being called the American Super League, or ASL, I'll try that as well.

I'd move Connecticut to Detroit, Milwaukee, St. Louis or the Twin Cities. Right now, Chicago is 700 miles from its closest rival.

Hi! Great to see some League love!

Some little tips with the league logo:

1. Your ball seems to have some corners. If you're using Illustrator, try to simplify the path a little to get it smoother.

2. The stroke around it is a bit too thin; you can add a lot more dynamism and contrast by widening (at least one of) the stroke(s).

3. The stroke endings and corners are set to curved (see around the 'A' in ARL). When the A is such a pointed character, you should change the stroke (or offset path, if you're using that instead) properties to use a mitred corner; it'll add a lot.

4. Curving the letters 'ARL' along the bottom edge of the ball is going to be an issue, since the A and R are already weirdly kerned letters (it ends up effectively grouping the 'RL' away from the A).

5. No real league would be satisfied to have the league name so small relative to the whole logo (unless a big sponsor is paying for the space, a la the Telstra branding of the NRL league chest patch).

Overall, great to see another League fan, especially aimed at the US market. I'd be a little concerned as to whether (even in Fantasy) Chicago sportsfans have the capacity to support ANOTHER team in their city, too, but that's the sort of thing you can probably safely ignore in a Fantasy league.

Dragons.gifPreds.gifTitans.gifSonics.gif

Crests.gif

Ok, so I didn't rush myself this time around and I think I came up with something a little bit more better, here's two versions I came up with, tell me what you think:

Version One:

ASL_logo.png

Version Two:

ASL_logo2.png

I've also decided to change some of the teams' locations, because like illwauk said some of the teams are far away from each other, so in attempt to even it out I decided to put 3 teams in the east, 3 in the central, and 3 in the west, making a 9 team league. Here are the teams:

New York Tigers

Baltimore Bays

Carolina Flyers

Chicago Spiders

Minnesota RLFC

Memphis Pharaohs

San Antonio Roughriders

San Francisco RLFC

Vancouver RLFC

All the teams that have RLFC does not have a nickname as of now, if you have any suggestions then feel free to voice them. Thanks!

Check out my music!

Ok, well, without any response from the league logos I'm gonna press onward.

Here is the first of the nine teams the New York Tigers:

Logo:

NewYorkTigers.png

Home Kit:

NewYork_Home.png

Away Kit:

NewYork_Away.png

The Tiger may need some work on the ear, which is the main reason why I posted it, cause I didn't know what to do with it. Anyways, tell me what you think of it and the jerseys.

Check out my music!

Carolina Coasters? Los Angeles Glory? I don't know haha.

As for the league logo, I don't like how it's called the American Super League when it has the Canadian flag in it. Maybe national or north american or something.

That Tigers logo is awesome, but the ear needs work as you said. Maybe make it a little wider (make the top of the ear up on the head more)

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

The only names I seem to be able to come up with are Twin Cities Geminis and San Antonio Outlaws

Suggestions:

San Antonio Toros, San Antonio Matadors, San Antonio Roughriders (Teddy Roosevelt recruited men for the Roughriders in SA), 36ers (the Alamo and Texas Independence took place in 1836).

FsQiF2W.png

As for the league logo, I don't like how it's called the American Super League when it has the Canadian flag in it. Maybe national or north american or something.

Well, I said in my first post that America isn't really the official name of our country, its United States OF America. Being as America is the continent as a whole, including Canada, and their's a Canadian team in the league so...

I dunno, I wanted to give our great neighbors to the north some love too. :P

Check out my music!

The only names I seem to be able to come up with are Twin Cities Geminis and San Antonio Outlaws

Suggestions:

San Antonio Toros, San Antonio Matadors, San Antonio Roughriders (Teddy Roosevelt recruited men for the Roughriders in SA), 36ers (the Alamo and Texas Independence took place in 1836).

now...now...we've been through the whole 1836 thing before with the Dynamo.

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

I got some suggestions for team names. For Carolina, ive got Flyers after the fact that the "first flight" took place in Carolina (Kitty Hawk, NC). In Twin Cities, ive got Polarises after the state nickname of Minnesota, the "North Star State" (Polaris is another name for the North Star).

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

realsaltlake.pngsaltlake-1.png

Archived