Postseason MLB uniforms.............

simpsontide

Don't even get me started on how I would change the rules governing pickoff attempts. B)

The 'balk call' is becoming the 'holding call' of baseball. IOW, it seems to happen on almost every play with runners on base. I wish they'd call it more.

I think the balk is like the real strike zone: a problem of enforcement, not of the rules. Instruct the umpires to call the rules as they're written in the rulebook, and find ways to hold umpires accountable for, you know, doing their jobs.

No, what I'm talking about is speeding the game. I'd make a pitcher's pickoff attempt the pitcher's version of a foul ball: it counts as a ball on the batter's count, but never ball four. Fewer pickoff attempts, which slow the game (and don't even make the game interesting when they work). More stealing, which means more throws from the catcher to second, which is an exciting play, and therefore worth encouraging more of. And, thanks to my totalitarian uniform rules, runners and fielders would look good doing it. B)

20082614447.png

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't even get me started on how I would change the rules governing pickoff attempts. B)

The 'balk call' is becoming the 'holding call' of baseball. IOW, it seems to happen on almost every play with runners on base. I wish they'd call it more.

I think the balk is like the real strike zone: a problem of enforcement, not of the rules. Instruct the umpires to call the rules as they're written in the rulebook, and find ways to hold umpires accountable for, you know, doing their jobs.

No, what I'm talking about is speeding the game. I'd make a pitcher's pickoff attempt the pitcher's version of a foul ball: it counts as a ball on the batter's count, but never ball four. Fewer pickoff attempts, which slow the game (and don't even make the game interesting when they work). More stealing, which means more throws from the catcher to second, which is an exciting play, and therefore worth encouraging more of. And, thanks to my totalitarian uniform rules, runners and fielders would look good doing it. B)

Then you'd have more pitchouts, which kind of leads to more walks coupled with your new ruling which in turn slows down the game even further. I agree the more stealing part you mentioned would be exciting, but as we have seen in hockey with the penalty shot (a.k.a. most overrated exciting play in sport) it would happen way too often and cheapen the moment.

I give you credit for having thought out the rule and atleast have some solid reasoning behind it. You could easily have said "I hate pickoffs, they're dumb, wish they'd stop doing them or something".

Thankfully you abstained from such reasoning.

They've started doing just that, and I applaud MLB for doing so.

EDIT: fixed attribution of BallWonk's quote

Archived