Postseason MLB uniforms.............

simpsontide

First, if the home team chooses to wear a dark or solid-color jersey, the visiting team would have the option of playing as the home team, batting last each inning.

Ok, you could make a case for your other personal rules, but this one makes no sense at all. What connection could uniform color possibly have with home-away batting order?

I believe he is suggesting that if a team wants to look like the road team, then they can play as the road team.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
First, if the home team chooses to wear a dark or solid-color jersey, the visiting team would have the option of playing as the home team, batting last each inning.

Ok, you could make a case for your other personal rules, but this one makes no sense at all. What connection could uniform color possibly have with home-away batting order?

I believe he is suggesting that if a team wants to look like the road team, then they can play as the road team.

either way, that is one of the worse rules that could ever be made. kinda like the calling time out after the snap on a FG attempt.

OhioStateBuckeyesLightBanner.png by RoscoeUA

hailtothechief.png by gingerbreadman

every team should get 3 uniforms and 3 hats

home

away

alternate

they can wear alt at home or on the road

and no more for that season

if they do a throwback it has to be approved by the league for throwback night

2. Certain teams, such as the Yankees, the Tigers, and the Cubs, shouldn't have an alternate uniform because, due to their classic uniforms and color schemes, it just plain wouldn't work.

The Cubs? Uhh, their history is so embarrassingly bad, you really want to keep doing the same things with their uniforms?

Plus, the few years recently they have actually gottent to the playoffs (and even won a playoff series or 2), they were wearing blue jerseys for some of those games (in 1984 and the couple of years recently they made the playoffs).

The Cubs grey uniforms are some of the drabbest in sports.

I think that MLB should make all the teams in the postseason wear their home whites and away grays. Personally I can't stand the softball look with the Rockies in black and Indians in navy all (or most of the time). Thoughts?

Disagree...strongly.

While the Rockies should wear purple sleeves under the black vest, that jersey is the second best in their kit, behind the solid purple. If the D-backs break out the black for a game, then I'd like to see the Rockies go with the purple. Would love to see Cleveland in blue vs Boston in red.

And my totalitarian rule? No flippin' pinstripes for any team that entered the league after 1901!

The Cubs? Uhh, their history is so embarrassingly bad, you really want to keep doing the same things with their uniforms?

YES.

Is that the Brewers fan talking, or an appreciation of the uniform? :)

I think Bergan makes a good point. I wouldn't want to see them abandon everything, but an overhaul might not be the worst thing ever.

Although the grays have grown on me since they abandoned blue this year, I agree they could be switched tomorrow. The old blue alts always seemed better for BP, but a new blue road alt could work.

YES.

Appreciation of the uniform. I hate the Cubs with a burning nuclear passion, but I have to admit that their uniforms are really, really sharp.

I think that MLB should make all the teams in the postseason wear their home whites and away grays. Personally I can't stand the softball look with the Rockies in black and Indians in navy all (or most of the time). Thoughts?

Disagree...strongly.

While the Rockies should wear purple sleeves under the black vest, that jersey is the second best in their kit, behind the solid purple. If the D-backs break out the black for a game, then I'd like to see the Rockies go with the purple. Would love to see Cleveland in blue vs Boston in red.

And my totalitarian rule? No flippin' pinstripes for any team that entered the league after 1901!

Too bad that your rule didn't include a stipulation forbidding horribly awful uniform striping such as the New York Giants' mess from earlier in the 20th century when they wore both vertical AND horizontal pin stripes on their jerseys. They looked like flannel pajamas. Horrible.

pic: http://www.conorglassey.com/Blog/content/b...916_newyork.gif

YES.

Appreciation of the uniform. I hate the Cubs with a burning nuclear passion, but I have to admit that their uniforms are really, really sharp.

...or is it that you hate EVERYTHING Chicago? Hmmmmm :therock:

i love the colored uniforms

i love the black shirts with the penstripe pants.

thats why they invented color tv's, too get rid of the blah grey and white

I'm fairly certain that black and white TV's also featured black a lot...

Yeah do that.  Do exactly THAT

Not true, actually.

There are many things I love about the Second City.

I love the Shakespeare Theatre on the pier (heck, I love Navy Pier), the museums, the music.

But you're a natural rival to a couple of my teams. Hate the Bears (although I respect them, which is more than I can say for the Vikings). Hate the Cubbies (and still hold residual hate for the Sox from my youthful days in the AL). Don't care for the Wolves, either, but I'm glad the Ads have a Chicago team to fight. Don't really follow basketball, so I have no feelings on way or the other about the Bulls, and I don't have an NHL team so the Hawks are safe.

I'll also grant you that "the City of Big Shoulders" is a pretty cool nickname. How's that? :P

Exactly. The practice that the home team wears white is older than the four-ball walk rule. It's one of the oldest traditions in baseball, and quite possibly the oldest uniform-related tradition in sports. It might actually be older than the fixed rule that the home team bats last. (I haven't been able to pin down exactly when that rule was adopted; prior to that teams either reached an agreement or flipped a coin to determine who batted first.) I would, however, relax my rule somewhat if a team chooses to wear matching solid-color pants at home. If your tops and bottoms match, even if they're both purple, then you're wearing a legitimate home uniform under 140-year baseball tradition.

20082614447.png

Not true, actually.

There are many things I love about the Second City.

I love the Shakespeare Theatre on the pier (heck, I love Navy Pier), the museums, the music.

But you're a natural rival to a couple of my teams. Hate the Bears (although I respect them, which is more than I can say for the Vikings). Hate the Cubbies (and still hold residual hate for the Sox from my youthful days in the AL). Don't care for the Wolves, either, but I'm glad the Ads have a Chicago team to fight. Don't really follow basketball, so I have no feelings on way or the other about the Bulls, and I don't have an NHL team so the Hawks are safe.

I'll also grant you that "the City of Big Shoulders" is a pretty cool nickname. How's that? :P

Fine with me. :)

The two bestest things...(yes I said bestest) to ever come out of Milwaukee come in a chilled mug and a woodblock with a wire cutter.

Jeez, with 162+ games a year for each MLB team, what's wrong with a little color?? Home whites and road grays is a concept as old as indoor plumbing.

And yet, indoor plumbing caught on rather nicely. I hear it's still around today.

:therock: Tell me more about this plum-bing stuff......

Ok, I know that my posting on here is not nearly as habit as you guys, but that rule on the home team bats first thing is really stupid. Probably the stupidest thing I have heard so far today... Now i know that my opinion comes from a guy who has recently taken a liking to the Rockies(even though I'm a Giants fan) which is directly thanks to the Athletics of Wherever they are gonna play in the next few years, leaving modesto after 30yrs to move up to stockton and colorado adopting modesto in the farm. And because 6 guys on the 25 man, i came to know during their time in modesto. I think Teams should where whatever they want to where as long as the home team still wheres white pants, and road team still wears gray. That simple. If the Rockies wanna wear the black, let them where it, if arizona wants to were sedona, they can wear it. SO thats my 2 cents for the day, carry on guys...

Exactly. The practice that the home team wears white is older than the four-ball walk rule. It's one of the oldest traditions in baseball, and quite possibly the oldest uniform-related tradition in sports. It might actually be older than the fixed rule that the home team bats last.

Fine. Why not simply require all home teams to wear white?

In baseball, the home team always bats second, no matter what. That's just the rule. I'm willing to bet it's older than the home-white rule. For an away team to come into the home stadium, dressed in whites, and batting second...that would be...weird...

Exactly. The practice that the home team wears white is older than the four-ball walk rule. It's one of the oldest traditions in baseball, and quite possibly the oldest uniform-related tradition in sports. It might actually be older than the fixed rule that the home team bats last.

Because although I would be an out-of-control tyrant as commissioner, I wouldn't be completely unreasonable. If a team really wants to wear a solid-color jersey, I'd let them. But the clothes make the man, and if you don't want to dress like the home team, there will be consequences. I'm not saying my totalitarian rule of the game would be entirely rational.

Don't even get me started on how I would change the rules governing pickoff attempts. B)

In baseball, the home team always bats second, no matter what. That's just the rule. I'm willing to bet it's older than the home-white rule. For an away team to come into the home stadium, dressed in whites, and batting second...that would be...weird...

It's just not true that the home team has always batted second. Until sometime in the 1870s, if I recall, the team that batted second always batted in the bottom of the ninth, no matter the score. In that early era, it really didn't matter if you batted first or last. For some time in the early days of the game, the question of who batted first was settled by agreement or chance, not by set rules.

But I still say we don't need the commissioner to order teams to wear their true uniforms in the postseason. We need teams that understand the value of dressing in their best for the postseason as a sign of respect to fans and to the game. You can't legislate good manners on that fundamental level.

20082614447.png

Because although I would be an out-of-control tyrant as commissioner, I wouldn't be completely unreasonable. If a team really wants to wear a solid-color jersey, I'd let them. But the clothes make the man, and if you don't want to dress like the home team, there will be consequences. I'm not saying my totalitarian rule of the game would be entirely rational.

Don't even get me started on how I would change the rules governing pickoff attempts. B)

The 'balk call' is becoming the 'holding call' of baseball. IOW, it seems to happen on almost every play with runners on base. I wish they'd call it more.

Archived