Yahoo! Sports deposes Detroit as Hockeytown USA

Milo Meningocele

The mass media is beginning to notice what some of us fair and objective locals have been saying for a while: Detroit can drop the Hockeytown schtick anytime now. This Yahoo! Sports hockey writer rates American NHL cities, and look who's not king of the hill anymore...

Link to story

So, how soon can we get that center ice logo changed?

I object to them bestowing it on St. Paul, though, because they have the "State of Hockey" moniker.

*shrugs*

Give it Buffalo; they could use a title, or give it to Pittsburgh, which I am informed generates the highest viewing numbers locally of the NHL.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Depends, I guess on the criteria. But if you take out NHL team success, it is hard to argue with the Twin Cities. It is the State of Hockey, as they call themselves, but they have a lot of support for the Wild. As the article says, they have sold out all of their games. Plus, I heard on a telecast that 40% of season ticket holders play recreational hockey. Doubt that's true for any other US hockey team.

I recall when Detroit started using "hockeytown" thinking "are you kidding me?" Of course, at the time Minnesota did not even have an NHL team. But now it's back and hard to argue with Minnesota and the Twin Cities.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Not to mention Minnesota having the best high school hockey in the country...hands down. Every where else most of the best players play AAA hockey, but in Minnesota the abundance of good hockey players is great enough that most schools put a competitive team on the ice. My team played at the Nike/Bauer National Invitational Tournament near the Twin Cities this weekend, and the 2 Minnesota All-Star Teams were phenomenal. We lost to one 6-0, and the other won the championship...the tournament consisted of arguably the top Prep-School (Shattuck St. Mary's), The top Swedish National League Team (Malmo Redhawks), The 2 Minnesota All-Star Teams, and 3 of the top AAA Teams from across the country, and a Michigan High School All-Star team. Anyways...Hockey in Minnesota is phenomenal, and I have no problem with the "HOCKEYTOWN" title leaving Detroit.

brewerssig.jpg

I can't argue with the bottom of his list. I still can't believe someone thought an NHL team in Columbus was a good idea. I'll take it because it gives me a chance to see NHL games close to home but going to a Jackets game makes me feel like the only person in the room who doesn't need a translator.

I went and saw The Rangers in Columbus a few years back. The Jackets goalie was standing on his head making one great save after another (much to my frustration as a Rangers fan) and the crowd didn't so much as yawn unless the scoreboard told them to. It was almost surreal. There were 18,000 people there and I felt like I was the only one actually watching the game. Maybe it's better now but back then they were as :censored:-ing clueless as any fans I have ever seen.

BB52Big.jpg

If the Wild wanted to, they could have a sellout every game based on season tickets alone. But, how fair is that to the regular joe that wants to see a game or two, so they leave so many ( couple thousand? not sure) single game tickets out there. Is this the case in any other NHL city? Serious question, not being sarcastic, I genuinely wanna know.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

Being from the Twin Cities, I'm happy to see this writer give us some recognition, but I'd rather not make Detroit mad. Those are some badassmother:censored:ers there.

I suggest Detroit stay "Hockeytown" and St. Paul be "Hockey City", as in "Tom Reid's Hockey City Pub". That way we won't get our tires slashed or our faces cross-checked.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Archived