2008 MLB BP Caps

Royals Insider

I notice lots still aren't online... but online stores don't rule the world.

Au contraire. In these days of increased migration, fans are farther and farther away from their teams, and buy more and more of their merchandise online. Modell's in New York isn't going to carry a lot of merchandise for a divisional rival like the Baltimore Orioles, much less a team such as the Seattle Mariners.

Online sales are an increasingly important aspect of team promotions.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you misunderstood his post.

He said:

Why is it that every spring training the new caps, jerseys, etc still aren't available for purchase for every team? Wouldn't it make more sense, from a marketing standpoint, to make sure this stuff was available by Christmas? If not by Christmas, at least by the start of spring training. You're supposed to capture buyers while they are excited and not give them a chance to forget about the product.

Doesn't seem to be singling out New Era at all, considering he talks about jerseys as well.

Seems more to my eye that he's calling out the teams for not making the merchandise available to fans.

Reds.

capt.e12cfb6cdae24f8eb3665a2dbd924b0c.reds_spring_baseball_flab108.jpg

It is my humble opinion that the Reds are the best dressed team in any uniform they wear with the addition of this new BP hat.

I already replied to this once, but I've been giving it some thought and looking at a lot of BP photos over the past few days, and I've settled on my pick. It's not the Reds because of the aforementioned cap flap and side panels, which also rules out the Cubs (especially with the white panel paired with the gray pants). It's the White Sox:

36073161.jpg

A simple, classic look for all of their regular-season jerseys, and their BP keeps the required-but-unnecessary elements to a minimum -- the jersey has underarm colors that are often hidden and no panels, while the caps keep the flaps black like the rest of the cap and, given the piping, the extra outline around the logo doesn't bother me. The BP looks like a BP and not a testing-of-the-waters for a future style. Pairing them with the gray pants makes sense here... and since gray is part of the color scheme, it makes the road that much more a part of the overall look (and I've always been partial to it anyway).

I surprised myself a bit with this one.

Archived