Chargers Throwback Jersey

darkhaha

I understand wanting to use a simplified font to increase the legibility of TV numbers. But why use two different number styles for the main body?

Dumb question, but don't all NFL teams do something to this effect?

I've seen the same thing with other teams. Its as if the designers were lazy and just stretched or shrunk the numbers to make them fit.

The Favre jersey looks bad...real bad. You'd think that they'd make it taller AND wider. Not a good look.

Don't know. The Bears also have different number fonts for sleeve and body

but I'm not aware of any other teams having different number styles for the front and back of jerseys. Larger on the back, yes. I believe all teams do that. But such a different style? Maybe, but I haven't noticed any others.

Look at the original Dallas Cowboys jerseys. The Cowboys uniforms were originally made by Southland Athletic of Terrell, Texas (east of Dallas). The numbers that Southland used on the Cowboys jerseys were the company's stock block font. The front and back numbers had serifs on them while several of the 4" sleeve numbers had no serifs. Check it out. I sold Russell, Powers, General Athletic, SandKnit, HarvAl, Betlin, Stall & Dean, Athletic Sewing, Spanjian and Southland uniforms in Rochester, NY so I know what I'm talking about

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I understand wanting to use a simplified font to increase the legibility of TV numbers. But why use two different number styles for the main body?

I've seen the same thing with other teams. Its as if the designers were lazy and just stretched or shrunk the numbers to make them fit.

The Favre jersey looks bad...real bad. You'd think that they'd make it taller AND wider. Not a good look.

but I'm not aware of any other teams having different number styles for the front and back of jerseys. Larger on the back, yes. I believe all teams do that. But such a different style? Maybe, but I haven't noticed any others.

Look at the original Dallas Cowboys jerseys. The Cowboys uniforms were originally made by Southland Athletic of Terrell, Texas (east of Dallas). The numbers that Southland used on the Cowboys jerseys were the company's stock block font. The front and back numbers had serifs on them while several of the 4" sleeve numbers had no serifs. Check it out. I sold Russell, Powers, General Athletic, SandKnit, HarvAl, Betlin, Stall & Dean, Athletic Sewing, Spanjian and Southland uniforms in Rochester, NY so I know what I'm talking about

The Chargers Throwback jersey from HR Derby was manufactured by Southland...

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

When the Cowboys started using Nylon Mesh (very similar to ProBrite but just a tad lighter guage) jerseys in the '70s, Southlend made the body out of mesh but made the sleeves out of a Nylon/Durene Cotton knit. Those knitting machines are invaluable. I haven't dealt with Southland since I retired but am glad to know they still knit that Nylon/Durene fabric. We used to sell the Rochester Americans their hockey jerseys made of Nylon/Durene from General Athletic of Greenville, Ohio.

Look at the original Dallas Cowboys jerseys. The Cowboys uniforms were originally made by Southland Athletic of Terrell, Texas (east of Dallas). The numbers that Southland used on the Cowboys jerseys were the company's stock block font. The front and back numbers had serifs on them while several of the 4" sleeve numbers had no serifs.

Yes, I know. Not unusual for teams to have a different number style for the TV numbers.

My question was are there any other teams with different number styles for the player's chest and back?

Another little number quirk of the Packers, and this one continues to baffle me, is the different 4s they use: one on the chest and one on the back:

25637_lg.jpg

I really hate the back 4 - it looks too squished.

If one were going to be squished, you would think it would be the one on the front and not the back, which is a larger numeral (and therefore in less need of squishing).

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

Another little number quirk of the Packers, and this one continues to baffle me, is the different 4s they use: one on the chest and one on the back:

25637_lg.jpg

If one were going to be squished, you would think it would be the one on the front and not the back, which is a larger numeral (and therefore in less need of squishing).

The back numbers on football jerseys are typically more condensed than the front numbers because they're larger and have to fit on the players backs. Front numbers are usually approx. 10" while the back numbers are usually around 12." Many retail authentics do not show this, as Reebok lazily uses the same patterns of numbers and just re-scales them to front, back and shoulder/sleeve specs. Many teams, like the Bears, use subtly different fonts for all three placements (as do the Giants, Raiders, Bills, Browns, Packers, etc). Basically, in most cases, if you were to scale up the big 10" block numbers to 12", they would not fit on the backs of many of the skill position players--that's why the back numbers are condensed in most cases. Of course, some teams DO wear virtually the exact same font on their jersey fronts, backs and shoulders/sleeves, but these are teams that have the modern designs and customized fonts like the Broncos, Ravens, Chargers, Bengals and Cardinals.

25637_lg.jpg

The back numbers on football jerseys are typically more condensed than the front numbers because they're larger and have to fit on the players backs. Front numbers are usually approx. 10" while the back numbers are usually around 12." Many retail authentics do not show this, as Reebok lazily uses the same patterns of numbers and just re-scales them to front, back and shoulder/sleeve specs. Many teams, like the Bears, use subtly different fonts for all three placements (as do the Giants, Raiders, Bills, Browns, Packers, etc). Basically, in most cases, if you were to scale up the big 10" block numbers to 12", they would not fit on the backs of many of the skill position players--that's why the back numbers are condensed in most cases. Of course, some teams DO wear virtually the exact same font on their jersey fronts, backs and shoulders/sleeves, but these are teams that have the modern designs and customized fonts like the Broncos, Ravens, Chargers, Bengals and Cardinals.

Thanks for the explanation -- I'd never thought if it that way. Also, I thought I had paid obsessive attention to uni details, but this different front and back numbers thing had escaped me. Ya learn something new every day...

Archived