Chargers Throwback Jersey

darkhaha

I just realized the twos don't match each other... although that might actually be accurate considering 1967 was well before anyone thought to standardize numerals (the 72 Dolphins had players on the field at the same time wearing different number styles and sleeve striping).

I have some photos from Super Bowl I that show Elijah Pitts with the sans-serif twos on his sleeves and the serif version for front and back. I think this was fairly common back then, as the Cowboys and Steelers (and probably some others I can't remember) all had slightly different twos for their TV numbers.

As for the neck stripes, the beauty of ordering a custom jersey is that I'm pretty sure you can request that they be included.

Yeah, I think the two different 2s actually improve the authenticity. Even now, they don't have completely standardized numerals.

The Packers still use two different 5s on jerseys, one type on the body and a modified version on the shoulders:

09000d5d805ee090_gallery_600.jpg

Another little number quirk of the Packers, and this one continues to baffle me, is the different 4s they use: one on the chest and one on the back:

25637_lg.jpg

I really hate the back 4 - it looks too squished.

I understand wanting to use a simplified font to increase the legibility of TV numbers. But why use two different number styles for the main body?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I first noticed it a couple years ago. I have a team-issued (not game-worn) Favre jersey from the Thanksgiving 2001 throwback game. Been meaning to get it signed, but I want him to autograph it on the front so if I ever get it framed I don't have to look at that awful pinched 4.

Interestingly enough, authentics carry that over:

FSGP94T04_W.jpg

while replicas do not:

p1495984reg.jpg

Home Run Derby runs auctions on Ebay all the time. I've won several times and I can confirm that they make the BEST throwback football jerseys around. I think they are superior to Mitchell and Ness by a huge margin. I also asked Terry to custom make me a 1962 road Minnesota Vikings, Hugh McElhenny jersey and I had to wait a long time, but the result was just perfect. I also have a '63 Chargers Keith Lincoln jersey and it is just as nice with the large front numerals just like the John Hadl jersey pictured here. Can't recommend them highly enough.

metslogo_215.gif

Home Run Derby runs auctions on Ebay all the time. I've won several times and I can confirm that they make the BEST throwback football jerseys around. I think they are superior to Mitchell and Ness by a huge margin. I also asked Terry to custom make me a 1962 road Minnesota Vikings, Hugh McElhenny jersey and I had to wait a long time, but the result was just perfect. I also have a '63 Chargers Keith Lincoln jersey and it is just as nice with the large front numerals just like the John Hadl jersey pictured here. Can't recommend them highly enough.

I've done several searches for Home Run Derby football jerseys on ebay, and I get a whole bunch of unrelated products (mostly baseball stuff, for obvious reasons). Can you tell me where to find their items on ebay?

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

his ebay seller id is number2525. I have an Powder Bluw Chargers Alworth from him as well as a Giants white YA Tittle. Both are great jerseys and his ebay prices can sometimes end up being real steals. I won the Tittle for something like $50! I don't have a picture pf the Alworth, but here is the Tittle.

TittleFr.jpg

TittleBk.jpg

1120_large.jpg

his ebay seller id is number2525. I have an Powder Bluw Chargers Alworth from him as well as a Giants white YA Tittle. Both are great jerseys and his ebay prices can sometimes end up being real steals. I won the Tittle for something like $50! I don't have a picture pf the Alworth, but here is the Tittle.

TittleFr.jpg

TittleBk.jpg

1120_large.jpg

That is correct, his name is number 2525, and he has his own Ebay Store - naturally called HR Derby.

metslogo_215.gif

I'm pretty jazzed. For YEARS I have wanted a '67 Saints throwback like the ones below...based on this thread I e-mailed them and found out they do this jersey in either black or white. I might have to get one of each!

Auto107.jpgAuto111.jpg

So you guys have been happy with the quality? How do the sizes run?

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I just realized the twos don't match each other... although that might actually be accurate considering 1967 was well before anyone thought to standardize numerals (the 72 Dolphins had players on the field at the same time wearing different number styles and sleeve striping).

I have some photos from Super Bowl I that show Elijah Pitts with the sans-serif twos on his sleeves and the serif version for front and back. I think this was fairly common back then, as the Cowboys and Steelers (and probably some others I can't remember) all had slightly different twos for their TV numbers.

As for the neck stripes, the beauty of ordering a custom jersey is that I'm pretty sure you can request that they be included.

Yeah, I think the two different 2s actually improve the authenticity. Even now, they don't have completely standardized numerals.

The Packers still use two different 5s on jerseys, one type on the body and a modified version on the shoulders:

09000d5d805ee090_gallery_600.jpg

Another little number quirk of the Packers, and this one continues to baffle me, is the different 4s they use: one on the chest and one on the back:

25637_lg.jpg

I really hate the back 4 - it looks too squished.

I understand wanting to use a simplified font to increase the legibility of TV numbers. But why use two different number styles for the main body?

Dumb question, but don't all NFL teams do something to this effect?

I've seen the same thing with other teams. Its as if the designers were lazy and just stretched or shrunk the numbers to make them fit.

The Favre jersey looks bad...real bad. You'd think that they'd make it taller AND wider. Not a good look.

I'm pretty jazzed. For YEARS I have wanted a '67 Saints throwback like the ones below...based on this thread I e-mailed them and found out they do this jersey in either black or white. I might have to get one of each!

Auto107.jpgAuto111.jpg

Damn, I didn't know he had a Saints '67 white jersey available! I've been looking for one forever, and I mean the authentic stuff with the old gold. As for the quality, it is first rate, better than Mitchell and Ness, and the sizes are more accurate, a 48 really fits like a 48, not a 54. The jersey length is also not way too long as most M&N's run. I would rather have a HR Derby football jersey ANY day over M&N.

metslogo_215.gif

Dumb question, but don't all NFL teams do something to this effect?

I've seen the same thing with other teams. Its as if the designers were lazy and just stretched or shrunk the numbers to make them fit.

The Favre jersey looks bad...real bad. You'd think that they'd make it taller AND wider. Not a good look.

Don't know. The Bears also have different number fonts for sleeve and body:

41053_lg.jpg

but I'm not aware of any other teams having different number styles for the front and back of jerseys. Larger on the back, yes. I believe all teams do that. But such a different style? Maybe, but I haven't noticed any others.

You know, it's a blessing and a curse finding this place, because there are so many jerseys I want -- including the '67 Saints set you referred to.

The quality is absolutely first rate -- the jerseys are made out of the same durene fabric I remember from so long ago, and the stitching on the numbers and letters is very well done. As for sizing... the one I have is cut like a real football jersey, which is both good and bad. I'm 6'4" and 225, which to be honest is about 20 pounds overweight. I ordered an XL, and the tag says 48 (which is in the range of XL). The jersey is pretty tight around the stomach, and pretty loose in the shoulders ('cause I haven't worn shoulder pads since the 80s). It's definitely a good incentive to get me back to the gym... The tail is long, but not gangster long.

One of the many cool things about HR Derby is that you can customize your jersey(s). For my Bronco jerseys, I ordered 1/2 sleeve length with cuffs, as worn by Lionel Taylor in the pics below...

LionelTaylor2.jpg1965_LionelTaylor3.jpgTaylor-Gonsoulin.jpg

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

Those are all really cool! They probably cost a buttload though...oh well. Hey, random question for ya, darkhaha. What colors did the Denver Bears wear? I was thinking of possibly doing a revival concept.

Navy blue and red. If you do a search for "Denver Bears" on this board, you'll fnd the semi-interesting story of how I tracked down Bob Howsam (longtime owner of the Bears and, at least initially, the Broncos) to get to the bottom of their color scheme.

Archived