Pittsburgh Penguins: Athletic Gold vs. Vegas Gold

Andy

I like the Vegas gold the Pens are using now. I think it actually works quite nicely.

I've always wondered what would happen if the Steelers switched to athletic gold. I think it might be a nice switch if they ever do it....although the potential fan backlash might prevent them from ever changing.

Not that this really helps anything, but...for comparison's sake:

623.pngsteelersgold.jpg

*EDIT: now having looked back at this...is it just me or does it seem like the recolored "gold" look washed out on my screen? I think my "save to web" function is starting to betray me. Ah well...it only took like 5 minutes to do this, anyway. :P

Now they start to look like New Orleans Saints

That Vanderbilt Football during the Woody Widenhofer era

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like the Vegas gold the Pens are using now. I think it actually works quite nicely.

I've always wondered what would happen if the Steelers switched to athletic gold. I think it might be a nice switch if they ever do it....although the potential fan backlash might prevent them from ever changing.

Not that this really helps anything, but...for comparison's sake:

623.pngsteelersgold.jpg

*EDIT: now having looked back at this...is it just me or does it seem like the recolored "gold" look washed out on my screen? I think my "save to web" function is starting to betray me. Ah well...it only took like 5 minutes to do this, anyway. :P

Now they start to look like New Orleans Saints

Meh! :blink:

It doesn't look as good as I thought it would. Maybe a more yellowish gold would work better? IDK, maybe its better as is.

*EDIT: now having looked back at this...is it just me or does it seem like the recolored "gold" look washed out on my screen? I think my "save to web" function is starting to betray me.

Nope, not just you.

It's a limitation of the color.

It's also a limitation of the "save to web" function in Adobe products. It consistently desaturates images for me, too.

I tend to prefer yellow -- er, sorry, athletic gold -- when yellow is a primary color, as with the Pens. Packers, Steelers, and so forth too.

I prefer metallic gold where it is used as an accent color, or when used in the near-absence of white. So I like how the Brewers use metallic gold, for example, and I can live with how the Nats use it. But the recent Pens jerseys just look weak to me.

20082614447.png

I agree it's pretty weak on the white uniforms, but at least on the new template it isn't as bad. It seems like they've used the gold more effectively to me. Maybe because they changed the shade this year?

fullj.getty-76775337pm009_penguins_canadiens_jpg.jpg

I actually like that it doesn't "pop." Makes it seem more professional and understated, somehow.

Yeah, it's not really a good word. I guess it just seems like a more intimidating color, one that would be associated with a winning, modern franchise. Can't really explain it too much further since I'm not well-versed on the topic of colors and psychology.

I still think they fit in well with the Pittsburgh color scheme. I know the Pirates and Steelers use different shades of gold colors, but it's still black and gold. I don't know, it seems justified to me.

For what it's worth, I also liked when the Rams and Pitt Panthers darkened their gold. Wouldn't want to see the Bruins do it.

Old Gold > Vegas Gold

Why?

1. History

2. Unity with the other two teams - something few, if any, other cities can say

3. theyre the official colors of the city, not many cities seem to do that either

4. It seems to be an easier color to replicate. I cant stand how many tiems ive seen the gold looks either brown, yellow, or green on reproduced merchandise or graphics, meanwhile with the old gold the worse they would do is use bright yellow.

5. People just like it more

6. Some say that using powder blue is bad because its beocming a sort of fad color - well, it seems to me vegas gold is getting alittle popular

7. New era does not nessicarily mean new color scheme.

8. NO team "owns" a color scheme - if that was the case, youd have to make quite a fw teams in the NHL change colors then

9. Its not the same as te Buins' yellow. Pittsburgh gold has a noticeable amount of orange in it, more than the bruins yellow has.

Same goes for the University of Pittsburgh. Scrap all navy blue and vegas gold designs and go back to royal blue and athletic gold.

And ive said it since day one, I would, at very least, want to see the pens get away from this RBK templated jersey as soon as they can - next ot the late 90's gradient overload road jerseys, theyre their worst...

...A return to the old gold with a new, unique, yet classic design with the old powder blues as occasional alts (which I also see absolutely nothing wrong with) would be perfect.

oBIgzrL.png

Pretty sure McKenna is now coach of the Australian national team.

Actually last I heard he was playing for a Korean team in the Asian League.

Though I guess he could still be coaching the Australian national team at the same time.

I like both shades of gold that the Pens have used over the years. I really liked the vegas gold when they started using it, but since the Ducks have gone to it I have cooled off to it a little. As far as the debate between the "Skating Penguin" and the "Robo Penguin" goes there is no debate! The "Skating Penguin" is by far the better logo...the "Robo Penguin" to me always looked like a hummingbird.

Yeah, it's not really a good word. I guess it just seems like a more intimidating color, one that would be associated with a winning, modern franchise. Can't really explain it too much further since I'm not well-versed on the topic of colors and psychology.

Winning, modern franchises like the St. Louis Rams, perhaps? :P

Archived