Pittsburgh Penguins: Athletic Gold vs. Vegas Gold

Andy

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't like the Vegas gold. It's too washed out, doesn't pop nearly enough during a game.

Major downgrade. Better for merchandise sales, probably, but a much less attractive uniform on the ice.

I guess I should say that I don't mind metallic gold - looks great on the 49ers and Rams, and I still want my Packers to adopt it - but Vegas gold is too light a color, too flimsy, to work really well for me.

Look at those shoulder patches - the gold fades away to nothingness, blends in with the white:

_40457001_mckenna203.jpg

It's wimpy. Give me a bolder gold any day.

I agree with all of this. It's wimpy color that doesn't separate from the white enough. I'd go back to the Athletic Gold tomorrow if I owned the team.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Unmentioned Answer C: A real metallic gold. As many have stated, Vegas gold does look too washed out, but a strong metallic gold would be better than either Vegas or athletic gold.

That way, the Penguins could have a color scheme that

a.) doesn't suck.

b.) still ties them to the other teams in Pittsburgh, while giving them an identity that is distinct from the city's two older franchises.

and c.) differentiates them from the Bruins who OWN black and athletic gold in the NHL. Of course, there's still the problem of the Ducks, but since we're dealing in ideal scenarios, the ducks would be wearing other colors anyway.

the Bruins who OWN black and athletic gold in the NHL.

Just don't see that. Sure, they have longevity, but I don't see them as so dominant that no other team can use the same basic colors. Especially since those colors have become so identified with Pittsburgh as a whole.

<-------------- Die hard Pens fan. I say the yellow gold. It pops more and it "unifies" the city colors. I'd love last year's set with yellow gold and a yellow alt modeled after those two jerseys.

KISSwall09.jpg

What most people don't realize (and I had originally missed as well) is that the "Vegas Gold" was lightened the season before last.

And, the Gold has had many variations over the years. Here's a breakdown:

PittsburghPenguinsGold_1968-1980_SO.jpgPittsburghPenguinsGold_1981-1993_SO.jpgPittsburghPenguinsGold_1994-1999_SO.jpgPittsburghPenguinsGold_2000-2002_SO.jpg

The two different Vegas Golds are coming...

Honestly, I think the Pens have a good problem on their hands. I think athletic gold is a very underrated color (which is why I'm one of the few Packers fans who reguarly buys the alt jerseys) and I could definetly understand if the Pens went back to it. I always thought Pittsburgh was lucky to have a color combo that was so closely associated with their city's pro teams. The closest thing I can think of to it are the NY teams that use blue and orange.

But I also have to admit that the new Pens jerseys look much better than the old ones. Plus, in hockey... black and ath. gold are more associated with the Bruins. All things considered, I'd have to give the slight nod to the new jerseys, but I wouldn't be too upset if the Pens switched.

I like the Vegas gold the Pens are using now. I think it actually works quite nicely.

I've always wondered what would happen if the Steelers switched to athletic gold. I think it might be a nice switch if they ever do it....although the potential fan backlash might prevent them from ever changing.

Not that this really helps anything, but...for comparison's sake:

623.pngsteelersgold.jpg

*EDIT: now having looked back at this...is it just me or does it seem like the recolored "gold" look washed out on my screen? I think my "save to web" function is starting to betray me. Ah well...it only took like 5 minutes to do this, anyway. :P

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I like the Vegas gold the Pens are using now. I think it actually works quite nicely.

I've always wondered what would happen if the Steelers switched to athletic gold. I think it might be a nice switch if they ever do it....although the potential fan backlash might prevent them from ever changing.

Not that this really helps anything, but...for comparison's sake:

623.pngsteelersgold.jpg

*EDIT: now having looked back at this...is it just me or does it seem like the recolored "gold" look washed out on my screen? I think my "save to web" function is starting to betray me. Ah well...it only took like 5 minutes to do this, anyway. :P

Now they start to look like New Orleans Saints

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

The brigther gold fits in more with the Pittsburgh sports teams. Both the Steelers and Pirates have the brighter shade of gold.

nhlvquebec2mw0.pngnhlpittsburghmo1.pngmlsnewenglandei8.pngnflbaltimoreff1.pngncaaohiostatepx4.png

Interesting Baseball fact: In 1960: Baltimore, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh had 2 AAA affiliates, while Los Angeles had 3 teams...and the New York Yankees had the Kansas City Athletics.

Interesting Hockey fact: In 1974, the Buffalo Sabres draft Taro Tsujimoto of the Toyko Katanas with th 183 pick in the draft. It was later revealed that Taro didn't exist, but Taro is still listed as an offical draftee of the Buffalo Sabres in their Media Guide.

Bring back the YELLOW. That Jagr jersey with the YELLOW shoulders is one of the best unis in the history of the universe. And I always liked Robo Pigeon.

+1

I dont like the Vegas gold at all, I find it to be a weak color, and think the team should make the jump back to the traditional gold it had. As stated above, I would also love to see the Pigeon brought back as the primary logo, with the athletic gold only.

Archived