Pittsburgh Penguins: Athletic Gold vs. Vegas Gold

Andy

This is one of those things that gets mentioned in various threads, and I think it's talked about enough to warrant its own thread. Mostly, I just wanted to see what people outside of Pittsburgh thought.

It seems to me that a large number of Pittsburghers, both on the internet and people I know, prefer the 80's-90's Penguins flavor of gold to the new so-called "Vegas gold."

jagrmullet2hi7.jpg

Former Penguin great Jaromir Jagr.

To me, this is wrong. Not only do I think the Vegas gold looks more professional and unique, but it does a good job of somewhat seperating the eras of Penguins hockey.

_40457001_mckenna203.jpg

Former Penguin great Steve McKenna.

Don't get me wrong - I have wonderful and fond memories of the Penguins team of the nineties and the colors associated with them. But it's not the nineties anymore, it's a new team, I think the transition to the new color has worked well, and if they were to change back it would be a horrid mistake.

What say ye, CCSLC? Which gold looks better? Also, would you condone a switch back to the old colors?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess a switch back to the old colors would be permissable, seeing as the Pirates and Steelers have a shade more similar to the old gold. However, this is a modernization. The New Jersey Nets have gone darker with their blue and red, the Philadelphia Eagles dropped kelly green for their current shade, and the Pittsburgh Penguins changed their gold.

The jersey striping in that second pic looks bad, and the gold should always have a black border so it shows up better, but the color itself is fine. A little variety in the colors of the city of Pittsburgh wouldn't hurt.

I can understand the whole Vegas Gold thing as marking a separation of eras. But once the Penguins got on board in 1980, the color combination of Black and Athletic Gold was instantly and uniquely identifiable with pro sports in Pittsburgh, and stayed that way for over two decades. I can understand wanting to strike out and go your own way, but to me, it erodes the uniquely unifying, city-wide identity Pittsburgh's teams had for a good chunk of time.

In short, I feel that Vegas Gold : Penguins :: Red : Pirates.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I'm pretty indifferent to what the Penguins use, but I can see both sides of the argument. In my opinion, the Vegas gold looks better with the Penguins. On the other hand, the athletic gold provides a strong bond between the three professional sports teams in Pittsburgh. If I had to make a choice, I would say that the Vegas gold is best and the Penguins should keep it.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Being Old School (retro), I prefer the Athletic Gold, but I must say they look really great in the Vegas Gold. IMO, they need to stay with the Vegas G - which by the way is a 2000 trend with a lot of teams!

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

I can understand the whole Vegas Gold thing as marking a separation of eras. But once the Penguins got on board in 1980, the color combination of Black and Athletic Gold was instantly and uniquely identifiable with pro sports in Pittsburgh, and stayed that way for over two decades. I can understand wanting to strike out and go your own way, but to me, it erodes the uniquely unifying, city-wide identity Pittsburgh's teams had for a good chunk of time.

In short, I feel that Vegas Gold : Penguins :: Red : Pirates.

See, I feel that the powder blue they're trying to re-introduce is akin to the red in the Pirates scheme.

Vegas Gold!!

its shiny. :D

i like how the st louis rams went from blue and yellow to navy and metallic gold after their championship. its like they went from commoners to royalty. The change the penguins made from black and yellow to black and metallic gold is just as nice, keeping with traditional colors but making it more modern.

plus they brought back the skating penguin

^_^

i dont particularly like the throwback powder blues though... they're so old i'm not sure anybody associates the pens with that color.

Whoops, double post.

I guess I should say that I don't mind metallic gold - looks great on the 49ers and Rams, and I still want my Packers to adopt it - but Vegas gold is too light a color, too flimsy, to work really well for me.

Look at those shoulder patches - the gold fades away to nothingness, blends in with the white:

_40457001_mckenna203.jpg

It's wimpy. Give me a bolder gold any day.

I like the Vegas gold the Pens are using now. I think it actually works quite nicely.

I've always wondered what would happen if the Steelers switched to athletic gold. I think it might be a nice switch if they ever do it....although the potential fan backlash might prevent them from ever changing.

I like the Vegas gold the Pens are using now. I think it actually works quite nicely.

I've always wondered what would happen if the Steelers switched to athletic gold. I think it might be a nice switch if they ever do it....although the potential fan backlash might prevent them from ever changing.

OK, I'll bite. "Switched to athletic gold"? What do you think they wear now?

He obviously means switched from athletic gold.

The Packers might have been able to get away with it in 1993. The Steelers? I dunno. The fans didn't seem to mind very much when the team switched from bold, strong block numbers to a weaker italic, so maybe they could get away with moving from a bold solid color to its weaker cousin.

Archived