New York and "Giants"

-Helix-

So is there any reason behind New York sports teams being obsessed with the nickname "Giants"?

The Baseball team, the Football team, and the Rangers were almost called the Giants too if it wasn't for the press calling them "Tex's Rangers"

Do New Yorkers just really like the name Giants?

I always wondered if there was any kind of affiliation between the teams. Wasn't there also a New York Yankees football team at one point too? The New York Americans had a very similar logo to the Yankees which kinda makes you think there was something there too.

So is there any reason behind New York sports teams being obsessed with the nickname "Giants"?

The Baseball team, the Football team, and the Rangers were almost called the Giants too if it wasn't for the press calling them "Tex's Rangers"

I always wondered if there was any kind of affiliation between the teams. Wasn't there also a New York Yankees football team at one point too? The New York Americans had a very similar logo to the Yankees which kinda makes you think there was something there too.

it's not so much New YOrkers being obsessed with the giants as it is football teams and baseball teams having a tendency to be named after each other. The NFL giants was named after the MLB giants, and the NFL yankees was named after the MLB yankees. Sorta the same situation with the NFL Bears being based off the MLB Cubs. So during that time that wasn't uncommon. As for the Rangers? that one i haven't heard but given the rangers was founded at that time, it probably was based on the popularity of the baseball team.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

it's not so much New YOrkers being obsessed with the giants as it is football teams and baseball teams having a tendency to be named after each other. The NFL giants was named after the MLB giants, and the NFL yankees was named after the MLB yankees. Sorta the same situation with the NFL Bears being based off the MLB Cubs. So during that time that wasn't uncommon. As for the Rangers? that one i haven't heard but given the rangers was founded at that time, it probably was based on the popularity of the baseball team.

Don't forget at one time the Steelers were the Pirates, and the Cardinals of the NFL played in St. Louis

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

All good points, with one exception -- the Texas Rangers didn't exist until 1972.

There are other examples, though:

NFL Boston Redskins named in similar fashion to MLB Boston Braves

NFL Brooklyn Dodgers named for . . . well, you know.

Don't forget at one time the Steelers were the Pirates, and the Cardinals of the NFL played in St. Louis

Good point about the Steelers, however the Cardinals took their name while playing in Chicago. The use of the name alongside the MLB Cardinals was more or less a coincidence.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

All good points, with one exception -- the Texas Rangers didn't exist until 1972.

Good point about the Steelers, however the Cardinals took their name while playing in Chicago. The use of the name alongside the MLB Cardinals was more or less a coincidence.

ok my bad, i thought he was talking about the New York Rangers and not the Texas Rangers.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Giants refer to the giant skyscrapers in New York.

From Wikipedia (and I've seen this story many other times, for those who doubt the reliablity of Wikipedia):

One of the most storied clubs in American professional sports, the Giants began life as the second baseball club founded by John B. Day and Jim Mutrie. The Gothams (as the Giants were originally known) were their entry to the National League in 1883, while their other club, the Metropolitans (the original Mets) played in the American Association. Nearly half of the original Gotham players were members of the recently disbanded Troy Trojans, whose place in the National League the Gothams inherited. While the Metropolitans were initially the more successful club, Day and Mutrie began moving star players to the Gothams and the team won its first National League pennant in 1888, as well as a victory or over the St. Louis Browns in an early incarnation of the World Series. They repeated as champions the next year with a pennant and World Series victory over the Brooklyn Bridegrooms.

It is said that after one particularly satisfying victory, Mutrie (who was also the team's manager) stormed into the dressing room and exclaimed, "My big fellows! My giants!" From then on, the club was known as the Giants.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I can't shed light on the MLB/NFL Giants thing.

I can shed light on the NY Rangers. They were founded by a guy named "Tex" Rickard who, according to Wikipedia, was planning on calling the team the New York Giants. The press, however, started calling them Tex's Rangers - a play on words referencing the Texas Rangers. That's why they are called the New York Rangers.

In the Redskins first season they were called the Boston Braves.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Another example of teams using the same nicknames albeit in the minors:

Buffalo Bisons (IL) (1879-Pres)

Buffalo Bisons (AHL) (1928-1970)-Disbanded after Sabres were awarded to Buffalo

Buffalo Bisons (NFL) (1920's)-A few different names (Rangers, All-Americans, & Bisons)

saBS.png

Interesting about the Steelers once being called the Pirates. I never knew that. The old Pittsburgh NHL team was called the Pirates too. Guess that's proof that sports teams in the same city back in the day were named after eachother.

Archived