2009 NBA All Star Logo?

dbackdiehard17

The NBA All Star Game, especially in recent years, has gained the perception of being a gathering of "thugs," "ruffians," and "gang bangers." In light of that, many cities may not find it desirous to host the event.

That may be true, but Auburn Hills is miles away from Detroit. And regardless of the element it may bring, it does also bring a lot of TV exposure for the area which also brings the money with it. My personal opinion, I just think David Stern hates Detroit.

I'm pretty sure the reason Detroit (and other cities) don't want to enter a bid is related more to this and this.

I've also heard about the "lack of NBA support" thing as well.

Watch the 2006 NBA Finals. If Stern truly hated Detroit, the Pistons wouldn't have won a title in 2004. :blink:

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watch the 2006 NBA Finals. If Stern truly hated Detroit, the Pistons wouldn't have won a title in 2004.

As far as the Palace brawl goes, I think that goes more to why the league might be more hesitant to host the All Star game in Auburn Hills than the Pistons would. As far as gang-banging, or whatever you wanna call it, goes, you have to go a decent way to get yourself into trouble out away from the city. And as far as the Pistons winning the title in '04 goes, they were simply more dominant than the Lakers; when Stern handed them the trophy, it was clear that he'd rather be either handing it to Kobe.

"Well, they made that change uptown and The Big Man joined the band."

--Bruce Springsteen

"10th Avenue Freeze-Out"

Watch the 2006 NBA Finals. If Stern truly hated Detroit, the Pistons wouldn't have won a title in 2004.

As far as the Palace brawl goes, I think that goes more to why the league might be more hesitant to host the All Star game in Auburn Hills than the Pistons would.

Not the Pistons necessarily, but the "powers that be" in Detroit and Auburn Hills might not be thrilled about hosting it.

As far as gang-banging, or whatever you wanna call it, goes, you have to go a decent way to get yourself into trouble out away from the city.

Where would the "posses" and "crews" be staying? Detroit, because that is where the hotels are. I'm sure the city of Detroit doesn't want to risk the kind of trouble that could come with the All Star Game. Although Auburn Hills "out of the way" nature, which you are so intent on playing up, indicates to me that its residents don't want to deal with the "problems" of the "inner city".

And as far as the Pistons winning the title in '04 goes, they were simply more dominant than the Lakers; when Stern handed them the trophy, it was clear that he'd rather be either handing it to Kobe.

I think it had more to do with the Lakers being the NBA's meal ticket at the time than anything else. If he honestly wanted Detroit to lose at any cost, you would have seen fouls called on the Pistons any time they got within 2 feet of Kobe. Kind of like what happened in 2006 with the Mavericks and Dwayne Wade.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

How do you go from what was the branding seen in the ASG 08 logo, and then to this monstrosity. It's ridiculous, really...very bland, uninsipired, a redux of '95. I actually think the '95 logo was much, much more versatile and appealing.

This...blah.

Thumbs down NBA, thumbs down. This beats the 06 ASG logo as well in terms of horridness.

Phoenix, again? They had it in 1995 and they don't have a new arena or anything. Chicago hasn't had it since 1988 and we do have a new arena since then.

Hey, Detroit hasn't had it since '79 and The Palace opened in '88 and I don't think we're getting it anytime soon.

As far as the logo goes, it's always good to see recycling in action.

It has yet to be in:

Memphis, Toronto, and the United Center. I don't know if there is anyplace else...

To date, the NBA has not held its All-Star Game in these 13 active buildings arranged by year of opening:

1. Arco Arena, Sacramento, 1988
  2. Bradley Center, Milwaukee, 1988 (MECCA Center last hosted in 1977)
  3. The Palace of Auburn Hills, Auburn Hills, 1988 (Pontiac Silverdome last hosted in 1979)
  4. United Center, Chicago, 1994 (Chicago Stadium last hosted in 1988)
  5. Rose Garden, Portland, 1995
  6. TD Banknorth Garden, Boston, 1995 (Boston Garden last hosted in 1964)
  7. Air Canada Centre, Toronto, 1999
  8. AmericanAirlines Arena, Miami, 1999 (Miami Arena last hosted in 1990)
  9. Conseco Fieldhouse, Indianapolis, 1999 (Hoosier Dome last hosted in 1985)
  10. American Airlines Center, Dallas, 2001 (Reunion Arena last hosted in 1986)
  11. AT&T Center, San Antonio, 2002 (Alamodome last hosted in 1996)
  12. FedExForum, Memphis, 2004
  13. Charlotte Bobcats Arena, Charlotte, 2005 (Charlotte Coliseum last hosted in 1991)

As far as as the 16 active buildings (by current name) that have hosted the game, here is the list from longest drought to shortest:

1. KeyArena at Seattle Center, Seattle, 1974 (Pre-renovation)
  2. Izod Center, East Rutherford, 1982
  3. Amway Arena, Orlando, 1992
  4. EnergySolutions Arena, Salt Lake City, 1993
  5. Target Center, Minneapolis, 1994
  6. US Airways Center, Phoenix, 1995
  7. Quicken Loans Arena, Cleveland, 1997
  8. Madison Square Garden, New York, 1998
  9. Oracle Arena, Oakland, 2000
  10. Verizon Center, Washington, 2001
  11. Wachovia Center, Philadelphia, 2002
  12. Philips Arena, Atlanta, 2003
  13. Staples Center, Los Angeles, 2004
  14. Pepsi Center, Denver, 2005
  15. Toyota Center, Houston, 2006
  16. New Orleans Arena, New Orleans, 2008

Personally, I was well familiar with the NBA's refusal to put the game in places like Portland or Sacramento, but I was surprised at how many current arenas haven't been used. It does make recycling Phoenix all the more surprising. I certainly am not naive enough to think that there should be a 29-year rotation among the cities, but seriously 45 years for Boston. We see it too in baseball (given how long the droughts have been for St. Louis, both New Yorks, and the Dodgers), and I wouldn't be surprised to see it in hockey as well. (But that would mean more research.)

Phoenix, again? They had it in 1995 and they don't have a new arena or anything. Chicago hasn't had it since 1988 and we do have a new arena since then.

The logo is pretty bland. Generic All-Star wordmark plus a cactus with some mountains for Arizona... how obvious.

Didn't they wear those asinine All-Star jerseys with the gaudy colors scheme and the huge cactus last time the game was in Phoenix?

HOW THE BLEEP WOULD I KNOW. I MISSED THE GAME BECAUSE I WAS FORCED TO GO TO A STUPID FUNERAL. I am sorry for yelling guy it just that I dont like being screwed out.

MONICA SANTA MARIA (DEC 6 1972- MAR 15 1994)

KRISSY TAYLOR (MAY 15 1978- JUL 3 1995)

YOU WILL BE MISS.

The logo is pretty bland. Generic All-Star wordmark plus a cactus with some mountains for Arizona... how obvious.

Didn't they wear those asinine All-Star jerseys with the gaudy colors scheme and the huge cactus last time the game was in Phoenix?

HOW THE BLEEP WOULD I KNOW. I MISSED THE GAME BECAUSE I WAS FORCED TO GO TO A STUPID FUNERAL. I am sorry for yelling guy it just that I dont like being screwed out.

What in the blue hell are you talking about?

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Response #1: LOUD NOISES!!!!!

Response #2: Cocaine's a helluva drug.

Which one's better? Tell ya what, CCSLC: you decide! Text your vote IDOL3; that's 43653. Do it now! :P

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

Hey, Detroit hasn't had it since '79 and The Palace opened in '88 and I don't think we're getting it anytime soon.

Part of the issue here is that cities have to want to host the game. I'm not sure Detroit and Chicago do (although giving one to Chicago in a couple years might be a nice dress rehearsal for "you know what.")

Um, I actually don't know what. Care to elaborate?

Sigs are for sissies.

Part of the issue here is that cities have to want to host the game. I'm not sure Detroit and Chicago do (although giving one to Chicago in a couple years might be a nice dress rehearsal for "you know what.")

Um, I actually don't know what. Care to elaborate?

http://www.chicago2016.org/

Unless the US becomes a Pariah State on the level of North Korea, Chicago's bid is going to win.

Today, we are all otaku.

it's so bland and boring.it looks like somthing they would have used in the 90's

Check out the logo for the '95 all star game--it WAS something they used in the 90's

http://www.sportslogos.net/logo.php?id=4755

Welcome to the thread this was already pointed out about 30 posts ago.

But really, good work.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

it's so bland and boring.it looks like somthing they would have used in the 90's

Check out the logo for the '95 all star game--it WAS something they used in the 90's

But really, good work.

I'm still trying to figure out why we still have TWO threads on this logo...I guess the one we had two or three months ago wasn't enough...

:blink:

Personally, I was well familiar with the NBA's refusal to put the game in places like Portland or Sacramento, but I was surprised at how many current arenas haven't been used.

Why does the NBA refuse to put their All-Star Game in Portland? It's not like fan support is lousy there.....

I believe that this has been mentioned before, but the reason as to why Conseco Fieldhouse hasn't hosted it yet, is due to the fact that the Pacers (and for that matter, the city of Indianapolis) don't want it. They don't feel that the end-result is worth the trouble.

A lot of other cities might feel the same.

But really, good work.

Look, the dude said it--I was only pointing it out.

Thanks for the snark

"Well, they made that change uptown and The Big Man joined the band."

--Bruce Springsteen

"10th Avenue Freeze-Out"

What in the blue hell are you talking about?

What I meant was that I miss the game so I couldn't anwser the question and also i'm still mad that I moved from San Diego to Los Angeles on the same day of the 1996 NHL All-Star game but then again I miss WRESTLEMANIA XII because my Grandma croke. :cursing:

MONICA SANTA MARIA (DEC 6 1972- MAR 15 1994)

KRISSY TAYLOR (MAY 15 1978- JUL 3 1995)

YOU WILL BE MISS.

Personally, I was well familiar with the NBA's refusal to put the game in places like Portland or Sacramento, but I was surprised at how many current arenas haven't been used.

Why does the NBA refuse to put their All-Star Game in Portland? It's not like fan support is lousy there.....

One of the often reported reasons that Portland is denied the game is the hotel situation: http://wweek.com/editorial/3215/7246/

I remember reading that Philadelphia was so disenchanted with its experience in 2002 that at least the current ownership/management wants nothing to do with the event again. I don't remember specifics.

Archived