Detroit Tigers home uniform (Al Kaline era)

mantleisthebest7

Hey y'all!

I was looking up AL Kaline and came across his highlight reel on the Hall of Fame website when I saw a clip from which Al Kaline ahd crossed home plate after belting a home run. The uniform he was wearing was one I have never seen before - a pinstriped (I think) white uni that said "Tigers" in navy cursive lettering outlined in orange with the players number under it on the right. I went to the Hall of Fame's uniform database site and found soemthing similar to what I saw - but the problem is that it isnt it.

This is what the database had (It claims they wore it in 1960):

al_1960_detroit.gif

But it's missing the pinstripes and the orange outline. I also believe the "D" on the hat was orange as well, and not white as shown on here. Also, I'm starting to wonder if the clip I saw couldve been from another year than 1960, because Kaline looked very young in the clip, much like what he looked like perhaps in his 3rd or 4th year in the league and not his 7th (Kaline joined the Tigers in 1953 - so my best guess was that the clip was from 1957-1958).

Does anyone know anything about this mystery uniform at all, or it's story. perhaps? Any help on this would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

realsaltlake.pngsaltlake-1.png

Uh, IDK if a link would work cause I tried it once from the HOF site and it didnt work, but try going to google and type "Al Kaline Hall of Fame". It should be the first site that is shown on there, go to that, then after you get there, click "Al Kaline Highlight Video". If you have any troubles let me know.

EDIT: Here's the site's URL. Try this, and if you ge there click "Al Kaline Video Bio". If it doesnt work or if you have problems, like I said please let me know and I'll help get ya there.

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/hofers/d...playerId=116822

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

Okay, so let me get this straight, you're trying to tell us that a grainy, dated, jpged video has an orange outline to the numbers? Let's not forget the pinstripes. Reading glasses need to be checked! :lol: The last time the Tigers wore pinstripes and an orange "d" cap at home was 1933 and it said "Detroit" across the front. As far as the picture from the Hall of Fame's database goes, take it with a grain of salt. Why? Because that work was done by Marc Okkonen for his book "Baseball Uniforms of the 20th Century" which I am looking at right now. The problem is and he'll readily admit it, it's not 100% accurate with patches etc., and also he did all the illustrations cut and paste on a paper doll. So the type for the Tigers script in the picture may be thinner than what Kaline was wearing, but we also know that the production process of uniforms at that time wasn't the science it is today and that Kaline's jersey may have thicker numbers and lettering because Joe did it because Bill was out sick that day and they needed a uniform. :grin:

Hey y'all!

I was looking up AL Kaline and came across his highlight reel on the Hall of Fame website when I saw a clip from which Al Kaline ahd crossed home plate after belting a home run. The uniform he was wearing was one I have never seen before - a pinstriped (I think) white uni that said "Tigers" in navy cursive lettering outlined in orange with the players number under it on the right. I went to the Hall of Fame's uniform database site and found soemthing similar to what I saw - but the problem is that it isnt it.

This is what the database had (It claims they wore it in 1960):

al_1960_detroit.gif

But it's missing the pinstripes and the orange outline. I also believe the "D" on the hat was orange as well, and not white as shown on here. Also, I'm starting to wonder if the clip I saw couldve been from another year than 1960, because Kaline looked very young in the clip, much like what he looked like perhaps in his 3rd or 4th year in the league and not his 7th (Kaline joined the Tigers in 1953 - so my best guess was that the clip was from 1957-1958).

Does anyone know anything about this mystery uniform at all, or it's story. perhaps? Any help on this would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Teams should learn from others errors. After the Cardinals went with just the script "Cardinals" in 1956 and had a fan revolt, the Tigers moved away from tradition four years later and tried to do away with their Old English "D" home uniform. The Tigers wore this uniform with the script "Tigers" at home in 1960 only as mangement tried to modernize the look of the uniform. As far as I've been able to determine the uniform shown is correct with one-color lettering and numerals. The fans created such an uproar that the club returned to the traditional Old English "D" in 1961. Coincidentally the '61 Tigers made their first serious run at a pennant since 1945. And what do you mean by "pinstripes"? Are you referring to the soutache piping around the neck, down the front placket, around the sleeve-ends and down the outseam of the pants?

Sorry If all this is sounding ridiculous guys, but all i'm trying to do here is see if I'm seeing this right.

By pinstripes, bulldogbarks, I meant real pinstripes, like Yankee pinstripes. I couldve sworn I saw them on there.

The wordmark looked to me like it was outlined in orange. I may be just out of it, but see, it's reasons like these that I'm posting this - to figure out what I'm seeing here. I know the video is dated and grainy, but It looked to me like there was an orange outline.

After looking at the video again, I now can see that the "D" is white, so my bad on that. But even after looking at it a second time, I still see what looks like pinstripes and an orange outline.

Thanks for the pic, DEAD!. Now I have an idea of what the database's uni looked like on the field. Thanks again!

Sorry again if this may be a bad topic, but as I have said, it is for all these reasons why I want to figure out what I'm seeing here. Thanks everyone! If you have anything else to add, please do so!

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

By no means was that a bad topic, and there are pictures out there of the tigers of the 40's and 50's wearing the hats with an orange D at home (I think it was a sporadic thing). Their stirrup stripes of the same era were orange

"Hats for bats. Keep bats warm. Gracias"

Actually, at first glance at that video, I also thought that the jersey had pinstripes. However, given that they don't appear to be present on #7's jersey, and that the very low quality of the video, I'd probably suspect that your eyes are just playing tricks.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

There are no bad topics.

You obviously haven't seen any of the Shea Stadium Trivia topics in Sports in General.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Actually, at first glance at that video, I also thought that the jersey had pinstripes. However, given that they don't appear to be present on #7's jersey, and that the very low quality of the video, I'd probably suspect that your eyes are just playing tricks.

I'm pretty sure that clip is from the 1960 all-star game at Yankee Stadium. The number 7 crossing the plate ahead of Kaline's 8th inning homer would be ex-Tiger Harvey Kuenn, then with Cleveland.

I'm guessing the number-10 at the end of the clip is the White Sox' Sherm Lollar...

"Old folks"

scorepics-ca.jpg

It's not ridiculous, that's what this board is here for. You actually made me go back and look to see when the last time the Tigers wore pinstripes. I can see how the grainy brown/orange film could make the D look orange, and I guess if you're really tired and squint your eyes, the piping could resemble pinstripes! :lol:

Archived