We Are The Champions... ooppss!

nyk

VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN_guX3jAGY

The Spokane Chiefs defeated the Kitchener Rangers, 4-1, to win the 90th Memorial Cup on Sunday. And then teammates Chris Bruton and Trevor Glass accidently broke the damn thing. Oops:

Chris Bruton lifted the trophy over his head twice Sunday and kissed it. Then, as he was about to hand it to teammate Trevor Glass, the cup became separated from its heavy base, which fell to the ice, drawing boos from fans at Memorial Auditorium who already were disappointed that their home team lost. The good news is that it's a replica trophy. The one that has been handed out to the junior hockey champion since 1919 is in the Hockey Hall of Fame.

"It just kind of crumbled in my hands and I'm sure I'll be all over YouTube and I'll get e-mails for the rest of my life over that, but I don't care because we won the cup and that's all that matters," Bruton said. "It's just as beautiful and maybe more beautiful that we have that top off and we can drink from the cup a little easier."

-Yahoo Sports

Saw that live and several times after on Youtube. That was classic the best is the team picture at the end of the celebration where they are holding the cup portion over the base.

Fortunatly that was only a replica of the Memorial Cup the original Memorial Cup is permanently on display at the Hall of Fame I believe.

Earlier this month, the bowl of the new, fake IHL's new, fake Turner Cup came clean off as it was being awarded postgame to the Fort Wayne Komets. That sums up the league better than anything else I can think of.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Earlier this month, the bowl of the new, fake IHL's new, fake Turner Cup came clean off as it was being awarded postgame to the Fort Wayne Komets. That sums up the league better than anything else I can think of

The B.C. Lions broke the Grey Cup in Winnipeg in 2006 as well.

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

Archived