Opinion article about the Rockies uniform tops and other MLB teams

roxfan00

patrick saunders

Rockies' tops hit rock bottom

By Patrick Saunders

The Denver Post

Article Last Updated: 06/24/2008 11:43:30 PM MDT

I interrupt the Rockies' maddening, disappointing and perplexing season for something really important:

Uniforms ? the best and worst in the majors.

I do not tread into this frivolous topic lightly. I once did a similar column about best and worst threads in the NFL and soon joined John Elway, at least for a day, as the most unpopular man in Ohio after calling the Cleveland Browns uniforms "classic, old-school ugly."

Here are my top five best (current) uniforms:

1. Detroit Tigers. The basic white home uniform with the scripted "D" is classic, historic and fantastic. The gray road unis, with the cursive "Detroit," with just a hint of orange, are nice, too.

2. St. Louis Cardinals. The bright white, the bird on the bat, the brilliant red, it all works. Maybe it's because I grew up a Cardinals fan, and the uniforms still make me think of Bob Gibson.

3. New York Yankees. If I tossed out my Yankee prejudice and looked at their uniforms objectively, the Bronx Bombers would be No. 1. Their historic home pinstripes with the cool "NY" on the front, combined with the gray road outfits with the simple, bold "New York," make their uniforms perhaps the most iconic in all of sports.

4. Los Angeles Dodgers. When the California sun hits those gleaming white home uniforms, it hurts your eyes. But look at these time-honored threads and I conjure up Brooklyn's Jackie Robinson stealing home, Sandy Koufax throwing his curveball or Kirk Gibson's "I don't believe what I just saw!" moment.

5. Boston Red Sox. The Red Sox home uniforms fit Fenway Park perfectly, and the old-time lettering is very cool.

Most of the other big-league uniforms don't stir me up one way or another. I will say this: I hate the Rockies' all-purple top (too much like a softball uniform), I think the Cubs' blue jerseys with the little bear on them look like pajama tops, and the Padres' sand-colored road uniforms strike me as odd.

And I will say this: No current uniforms are as hideous as the Astros' rainbow uniform of the 1970s and 1980s. Like leisure suits, gold chains and Afros on white guys, those were embarrassing.

Denver Post

"Mr. President, call in the National Guard! Send as many men as you can spare! Because we are killing the Patriots! They need emergency help!" - Shannon Sharpe

You know how they say that the formula for comedy is Tragedy + Time? Well, I really think that the formula for a popular uniform design must be Success + Time.

I would throw Blandness in there as well, but I don't consider the Cardinals' uniforms to be necessarily bland. Although they are a lot less busy since they removed all of the trim from the uniforms when they switched to the button-downs.

I just think that this board would go crazy with criticism if a new franchise came out with something as dull as the Tigers or Dodgers. There's just an overwhelming bias with those uniforms and those franchises; that's all.

I just think that this board would go crazy with criticism if a new franchise came out with something as dull as the Tigers or Dodgers. There's just an overwhelming bias with those uniforms and those franchises; that's all.

Like the Rays?

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

Like the Rays?

Exactly like the Rays.

^_^

Hurm. I don't think it was the uniforms themselves what had people all up in a lather, it was the Microsoft Word font. So maybe you could say that the Tigers would take heat for using Old English, but the Dodgers would surely get a pass for at least coming up with an original script.

There really wasn't an original thought in that article. And I'm really tired of East coast bias when it comes to uniforms. Why are the Yanks' and Red Sox' unis (nice as they are) always celebrated, yet teams like (forgive me for being a homer but it's true) the White Sox, Phillies, Mariners, and Braves overlooked? They all have very classy and consistent looks, and it seems like nobody actually takes the time to look past their Yanks-Red Sox boners and actually appreciate these other, less heralded teams. And for my 2 cents, the best unis are as follows:

Home: Braves (even with the subtraction of vertical arching)

Road: White Sox (elegant as hell, has perfect feel of city, withstands test of time)

Alternate: Rangers (that jersey crest with the beveled type is just gorgeous)

Archived