Yankee high-cuffed pants

nybatt

As a long-time yankee fan and an outright hater of the long-legged pajama pant look in baseball it was a great surprise to see second baseman robinson cano wearing his pants cuffed to the knee against the red sox this afternoon. cano has always been a pajama wearer, save jackie robinson day when he wears them high, so today is a rarity for us traditionalists with regard to cano's uni.

Today, the yankees actually feature four out of nine position players with their pants knee-cuffed: cano, betemit (1b), rodriguez (3b), and gardner (lf). not bad for a team that featured NO players wearing their pants high as of 2 seasons ago! it should also be mentioned that john damon and joba chamberlain are also high-pant players as well.

so, I started wondering if the yankees have now become the team with the most traditional-pant-wearing team in the league.. does any other team regularly have 4 or 5 players at one time wearing pants the "right" way?? I know the tigers did it once this season in a "team unity" display and that negro-league nights usually feature every player, but most players are in their pj's on a daily basis.

just a thought.

i know the jays are probably among the leagues worst at this, after reed johnson and josh towers were dealt, and casey janssen out for the year. zaun will bust them out every once in a while, but i believe joe inglett is the sole full-time high-socks wearer on the team:

610x.jpg

i know the jays are probably among the leagues worst at this, after reed johnson and josh towers were dealt, and casey janssen out for the year. zaun will bust them out every once in a while, but i believe joe inglett is the sole full-time high-socks wearer on the team:

610x.jpg

The NFL and NBA have rules regarding how the uniform shall be worn. MLB is long-overdue to institute such a rule. Any professional baseball uniform worn should require the wearer to show his team socks, have his pantlegs bloused properly and should display a minimum of 4" of stirrup at the front and 5" at the back. There are some great striping patterns we don't see anymore like the Cardinals, Indians, Braves and Red Sox. And no Frank Robinson ribbon stirrups would be allowed nor would the old Cincinnati Reds ultra-low stirrup look, either. Also, players' shirts must be buttoned all the way up. No more David Wells leaving his size 64-extra fat jersey half-unbuttoned. It's an honor to wear a professional baseball uniform. The players should show their working clothes the respect they deserve. Dress like the professional that you are, not like a Sunday beer-league softball player. Show some pride. :mad:

I hear people whine about how the NFL is the No Fun League and they have stupid uniform police who fine players because the sock is too low and yet you have Chris Hovan with a clear uniform violation and then this "league" tries to get players with dreadlocks that cover their nameplate to cut them? Yeah, the NFL is the league I want to follow. I like stirrups as much as the next person, but I don't think the league should enforce a stupid rule like that. Does the length of a player's pants have anything to do with his performance on the field? I don't care where a player's pants are as long as he leads me to the World Series.

I can name four members of the Cubs who've also rocked the high socks this season:

- Alfonso Soriano

- Ryan Dempster

- Reed Johnson

- Felix Pie

Aramis Ramirez wore high socks the first two games in St. Louis, most likely in an attempt to break his slump.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I hear people whine about how the NFL is the No Fun League and they have stupid uniform police who fine players because the sock is too low and yet you have Chris Hovan with a clear uniform violation and then this "league" tries to get players with dreadlocks that cover their nameplate to cut them? Yeah, the NFL is the league I want to follow. I like stirrups as much as the next person, but I don't think the league should enforce a stupid rule like that. Does the length of a player's pants have anything to do with his performance on the field? I don't care where a player's pants are as long as he leads me to the World Series.

You missed my point completely. With an attitude like yours you have to be a Yankee fan.

Since the Yankee$ wear turn-back-the-clock uniforms every day, it's little wonder that some of them have succumbed to wearing knickers as well. I, for one, vote NO!

Always seems strange to me when I read things like this on THIS board. Yes, we all know the uniform (probably!!) doesn't change how a player performs, but we don't needs to hear that here. We get told that by every other "normal" sports fan we try to talk uniforms with.

Spoilsport.

To clarify the point, I'm not a Yankees fan.... and honestly I'm starting to hate the Red Sox more than the Yankees because it's the only team broadcast anymore. I'm a Dodger fan first and foremost and then an Angels fan, because I've gone to so many and live 20 minutes away from the stadium. Would I prefer stirrups to be shown? Yes. Am I realistic about the issue? Yes. I would rather pants down and no socks be shown than the one color anti stirruped look and I also hated the fake painted on stirrup look too. I also hate colored socks on basketball teams and solid colored socks on football teams. I find pants down to be the lesser of two evils. If I owned a team I would highly suggest the stirrup look.

Baseball pants should be mid-calf or shorter IMO. A nostalgic Sport deserves a Nostalgic look. The AAA Portland BEavers have one of the best 3 Uniforms in Pro Baseball, and it's because they went big time throwback.

Archived