Tex-Mex Restaurant Logo...?

Cola

I've started a logo for a Tex Mex restaurant for this guy opening a restaurant in a city nearby. He didn't have many requirements except that he wanted to keep it simple...would like to see an animated pepper...and to go small on the Mexican touches because he isn't Mexican. Anyhow, he told me it was going to be a sports bar & grill with the tex-mex theme...all I have to go on. I really hit some mind blocks on this one with trying to keep it simple but yet with enough to give a solid logo. I've got some combos right now that I want some C&C on. I started with no shades, but my girlfriend saw the logo and said it needed them.

Thanks...

JBsTexMex2.jpg

I love the pepper! That would be a great stand-alone icon for the bar. The problem I see with what you have is it looks like a sign instead of a logo.

Not to say a logo can't be a sign or a sign can't be a logo but this seems a little too forced. I would consider the type of bar and grill- is it casual or fine dining?

I assumed it would be casual, so the look should reflect that. By no means is what I am showing the end of the discussion, but maybe consider something a little more relaxed. I do love the pepper, did I mention that?

JALAPENO.png

The elements all look a little too 'separate' if you know what I mean. They need to be more integrated into some type of lockup or mark, maybe a circular seal or something. Also, why the strange colors for the sign when the pepper has a nice green and red (Mexican national colors) color scheme. That banner looks like it was just slapped on because somebody told you, 'It needs to say this on it somewhere.' I think the type choice is okay. It's been done before and will be done to death again and again. Personally, I'd go for something a little more timeless that maybe you can add a little flair to, but what you have captures the character of the genre at least.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

The elements all look a little too 'separate' if you know what I mean. They need to be more integrated into some type of lockup or mark, maybe a circular seal or something. Also, why the strange colors for the sign when the pepper has a nice green and red (Mexican national colors) color scheme. That banner looks like it was just slapped on because somebody told you, 'It needs to say this on it somewhere.' I think the type choice is okay. It's been done before and will be done to death again and again. Personally, I'd go for something a little more timeless that maybe you can add a little flair to, but what you have captures the character of the genre at least.

I totally agree on what you are saying about the colors...but he stated over and over that he didn't want me using too much "Mexican" themed colors in the logo...and I have learned in the past not to push my preferences on clients even though I might know better. I did the banner because I wasn't sure of how to introduce that part of the text into the logo with the scheme I had already started- the border of each logo, while I agree looks like a sign (but I think could still work) was meant to look Texan/Alamo-ish I guess? Maybe that was just in my mind- I am going to play around with some more options, and try to keep things "tighter" because I feel the initial designs are a little loose altogether right now.

Thanks for everyone's feedback. By the way, logoman, what font did you use- I'm kinda digging that...it isn't too plain but it isn't so "ethnic" either...gives a "bar" feel to it.

Personally, I would make the pepper red instead of green because then it would make it a more exciting shade. Red equals spicy equals fired up equals fun.

i'm playing with the colors right now...jalapenos are green so i wanna keep him green, but i am changing some colors up and going for something more towards logoman's ideas...

I feel like Chili's has pretty much claimed this idea. I know it wasn't your idea for a name, but I think the identity should go away from using a pepper because of Chili's. I don't know where you should go with this, but I'm afraid you may need to start over.

I feel like Chili's has pretty much claimed this idea. I know it wasn't your idea for a name, but I think the identity should go away from using a pepper because of Chili's. I don't know where you should go with this, but I'm afraid you may need to start over.

I agree with you. The problem is, the place is called Jalapeño Bistro, so there's really no other route to take other than a jalapeño, you know? I think one way he can go is just a really sick looking script-logo. Not too flashy, but just really cool and modern.

LB2nd.png

chicagowhitesox.pngchicagobears.pngchicagobulls.pngchicagoblackhawks.pngchicagofire.png

But a chili pepper is red...a jalapeno is green- totally different things. That is like comparing a burger and a sub sandwich in my eyes. I find it hard to believe that anyone would think that the idea is totally taken and not worth using after a major chain restaurant has used some sort of pepper. Besides, Chilis sucks...they don't even have anything spicy on their menu lol. Anyhow, it wasn't really my call...it isn't my business, I'm just doing the logo.

Cola, I know you're busy with The Apprentice challenge, but I was wondering how you're progressing on this. I would love to see the finished product.

Yeah, the Apprentice challenge and another business logo besides this one is keeping me pretty busy. I sent those original logos to the guy and haven't heard back from him yet, so I am still waiting on that. I did do a variation of your logo but didn't submit it to him because I felt like it wasn't my true original work...so I am just going to wait and see what he thinks. I'm busy enough right now with my "real" job along with the projects I mentioned above, but I will give some updates on this soon because I feel like it is a fun project that I hope the client gives me more chances to work on. I think he will at least like the animated pepper.

I'd love to see any changes that you make to the logo...
I think you have a great thing going. I can't wait to see what changes you make to it.

You and me both, brother. You and me both.

But a chili pepper is red...a jalapeno is green- totally different things. That is like comparing a burger and a sub sandwich in my eyes. I find it hard to believe that anyone would think that the idea is totally taken and not worth using after a major chain restaurant has used some sort of pepper. Besides, Chilis sucks...they don't even have anything spicy on their menu lol. Anyhow, it wasn't really my call...it isn't my business, I'm just doing the logo.

It's the same thing in my eyes. If a restaurant called Johnny Appleseed's Eatery used a wordmark under a green apple Applebee's would have a fit, and rightfully so. I know the name wasn't up to you, and I am not trying to rip down your ideas, I am just trying to help you out before you hear this from somebody else. A restaurant like this using a pepper could probably even face legal problems with their pepper logo if they went with it. I say probably because I am speculating, but I know if I was Chili's I would have a problem with it and would try to pursue it legally. Again, I love your work and agree that there is not much room to move on this one, but this is a real problem you may face in the future, I'm just trying to bring it to your attention before that. Isn't one of the fun parts of design trying to solve many problems at once? I know you could change this up and solve this problem, I've seen the work you put out. Anyways, good luck, and feel free to disregard this if you feel I'm way off base.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm originally from El Paso, Texas and have had some experience in designing for Mexican and Tex-Mex-themed restaurants.

My suggestion for this project, which could make it materially different from Chili's, is to make the 'J' in the word 'jalapeno' into the pepper. The rest of the "Jalapeno Bistro" could be built off of that design (I have a few ideas in mind, but can't pull it together as a concept). The "sports bar..." type could be included in such a way that it could be left off in smaller print-oriented presentations, or where that level of detail is unnecessary.

Make sure whatever design you pull together looks very good in black and white. That is hugely important for stand-alone restaurants.

Feel free to PM if you need some further help.

jeffsig.gif

glgsig.gif

Archived