Uni Watch - OKC

whchoclte

I sent him my Thunder and Barons entry...how the hell did that not get up there? I don't get it. Just like the Colts contest all over again. Sad really. And Paul Lukas calls himself an obsessive studier of athletics aesthetics. My a$$.

Dude, we all have our own tastes. He likes what he likes, I like what I like, and you like what you like. They don't have to be the same things. Just because he didn't chose your entries doesn't mean he isn't an "obsessive studier of athletics aesthetics." Honestly, there were plenty of designs that were better than both of yours. Sounds like someone needs to get over himself...

and I don't mean Paul Lukas.

Agreed. In the words of Golda Mier, "Don't be humble, you're not that great."

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Honestly, there were plenty of designs that were better than both of yours. Sounds like someone needs to get over himself...

and I don't mean Paul Lukas.

If there were better designs I didn't see them there. If the man speaks the truth that doesn't mean he needs to get over himself.

I think there may have been an age limit on this contest though. It boggles my mind how he can believe that any of those would be better than whatever OKC actually comes up with.

sig09.jpg

I emailed Paul about the logo copying. I asked him in the future to emphasize original artwork.

It's hard to crack down if some 10-year old is just recoloring the Desperados logo, but at least not glorify them.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

It is what it is.....the fact is all of those designs, to put it blatantly....$uck. Just saying. Just calling it like it is--theyre all horrific. Maybe it wasn't about whose design looked the best. Maybe just the weirdest entries that would never really make it, for shts and giggles.

Not to toot my own horn, not my intention. Just trying to figure out what Mr. Lukas' intentions were anyway. And I guess it is tongue in cheek.

But hey nobody gave Sterling84 sht when he was appalled that his Colts' design didn't even make it into the top 5.

Get over myself? Hardly.

You guys got totally off point. Who cares if your design wasn't chosen, you know how contest works.

Its the copying of logos that offends me. Guess it doesnt bother others as much.

Greg, I agree with you 100% that logo jacking is not cool, but look at what the contest was all about. This wasn't a serious design contest. This is nothing like the Colts (sham of a) contest in which there was an expectation of compensation and having your logo used if selected. The Uni Watch contests are what they are...this ain't the first one, won't be the last one. Besides, people jack logos up here more than geeks jack...uh, nevermind. But you're totally correct (but if it's a problem anywhere, it's a problem everywhere), we always need to be outraged about it.

It is what it is.....the fact is all of those designs, to put it blatantly....$uck. Just saying. Just calling it like it is--theyre all horrific. Maybe it wasn't about whose design looked the best. Maybe just the weirdest entries that would never really make it, for shts and giggles.

Not to toot my own horn, not my intention. Just trying to figure out what Mr. Lukas' intentions were anyway. And I guess it is tongue in cheek.

But hey nobody gave Sterling84 sht when he was appalled that his Colts' design didn't even make it into the top 5.

Get over myself? Hardly.

Ian, no one complained when Sterling84 ranted because he's generally humble, relatively accomplished, and raised a myriad of valid points (and since you don't want to get over yourself, let's say it plainly...he's just better than you). How about that? Also you said, "all of those designs, to put it blatantly...$uck." Does that mean your submissions suck, too? You're talented, you know it, I know it, we all know it. However, it doesn't give you the right to overinflate your work and bitch when people don't immediately start slurping you. You've got the skill to be successful, but your attitude just might prevent it.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I think AAO's designs were better than anything else. And I think he should be pissed. I'd be pissed too.

So there.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Lol. It's not about whether I'm good or not Greg--you're missing the point. It's not about 'slurping me' my friend. Just callin' it like it is.

Hell, the subtitle says it all--disgraceful. I'm not speaking for just myself here, I'm speaking for other like minded designers who were actually serious in coming up with something that would be legit for an OKC NBA team.

You can put the gun down now.

Look at all these other 'nonwinners', (I'll toot their horn for them, so maybe you can start calling it like it is):

2717113908_b62f8e64c4.jpg

2717113630_4701d47792.jpg

2717114108_5311c175a8.jpg

2714051367_3e67c2a428.jpg

And you mean to tell me the ones that were picked for this contest aren't upsetting to people who actually put something other than garbage into it?

And that Desperados logo is used in multiple entries--yet he picked that Barons one with it.

That's the aggravating thing about it.

Lol. It's not about whether I'm good or not Greg--you're missing the point. It's not about 'slurping me' my friend. Just callin' it like it is.

Hell, the subtitle says it all--disgraceful. I'm not speaking for just myself here, I'm speaking for other like minded designers who were actually serious in coming up with something that would be legit for an OKC NBA team.

You can put the gun down now.

And you mean to tell me the ones that were picked for this contest aren't upsetting to people who actually put something other than garbage into it?

And that Desperados logo is used in multiple entries--yet he picked that Barons one with it.

That's the aggravating thing about it.

You're missing my point, man...I actually agree with most of what you said. I just think the outrage is misplaced. Logojacking is wrong every single time. I just don't think the contest is the colossal injustice that you do. The problem isn't the contest itself, it's the fact that there were "designers who were actually serious in coming up with something that would be legit for an OKC NBA team" getting pissed off because their designs weren't chosen by a judge with an irrational disdain for purple, and wants grown men to wear striped socks up to their knees. We all know that design contests rarely ever pick the best designs submitted...even when they are paying for it.

By the way, both of those you chose are better than your two. We don't have to agree on that though. :)

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

To each their own. I love that Outlaws script, and with a little work that primary would be killer. The Marshals--is different, but I like what he did.

In the end yeah its just some silly internet contest. But regardless, I just felt he should've chosen more tastefully.

I live in OKC and have been pushing for the Thunder/Buffalo concept for awhile now. I think that's the best possible theme for this team.

We'll know by next Tuesday.

Oh really? We'll all know on Tuesday then?

To each their own. I love that Outlaws script, and with a little work that primary would be killer. The Marshals--is different, but I like what he did.

In the end yeah its just some silly internet contest. But regardless, I just felt he should've chosen more tastefully.

He chose according to HIS tastes...like you said to each their own.

More importantly, he also should have required ORIGINAL submissions above all else. This was supposed to be something fun, but anytime there's a competition, fun finds a way to be sucked right out of the equation.

I emailed Paul Lukas and he did respons to me. He said he did try to not "award" those logos that were obviously lifted. But even though he writes a column on the aesthetics of sports uniforms, he does not have a photographic inventory of logos like many of us here. He said he was unware that the Barons logo was taken from the Desperados. (To be fair, it's an Arena Football logo, so it's not in the public eye as one from the 4 major sports).

If you are a faithful reader of his column, you will see that he really doesn't post any sneak previews of anything unless it's posted first. Most news about new logos is put up by comments to the blog, not by him. He doesn't notice any new logos or uniforms unless someone tells him first, or unless there's a big press conference or release about it (like the Bayern-Munich experimental dance thing last week).

So it's more ignorance than anything else. It's not that he didn't care. More that he just didn't know.

The gallery is just a display of all the submissions, period. No commentary...he just wanted to show the number of people into the contest.

I did suggest that in the future he emphasize original creations, and he thanked me for that comment.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Archived