Uni Watch - OKC

whchoclte

It is what it is.....the fact is all of those designs, to put it blatantly....$uck. Just saying. Just calling it like it is--theyre all horrific. Maybe it wasn't about whose design looked the best. Maybe just the weirdest entries that would never really make it, for shts and giggles.

Not to toot my own horn, not my intention. Just trying to figure out what Mr. Lukas' intentions were anyway. And I guess it is tongue in cheek.

But hey nobody gave Sterling84 sht when he was appalled that his Colts' design didn't even make it into the top 5.

If he's the one I'm thinking of, I did.

I thought most of the "but mine was so much better" Colts designs weren't.

Lukas' intention was to write an entertaining column. Nothing more, nothing less.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the lesson here is "know your audience."

We know Paul's tastes, he doesn't hide them, and he even had a Washington Nationals contest before that gave a pretty good idea of what he was looking for. He has every right to choose whatever he wants for his contest and it does not change my opinion of him as a uniform critic. I know I am echoing a bit of BallWonk, kenclark and ColorWerx here, but I find it very hard to knock Lukas for this. (Although I agree that the use of existing logos should be at least noted when discovered.)

One of the reasons I got into this stuff is because I liked to draw concepts as a kid. Crude, crayon-drawn concepts. I even sent in ideas to Activision back when they accepted game ideas on the back of the box... including one for a Pitfall sequel that I'll swear forever inspired Pitfall II for Atari 2600. ;) I'd hate to think that those drawings were in reality tossed aside because I had drawn them up with color pencils or Crayola markers, even though in reality they probably were. Paul has put every kid with a crayon on an equal level with professional designers. Isn't that part of what this forum is about as well?

I don't think someone should be disqualified because he drew in crayon, just like I don't think first-time posters (or long-time, for that matter) to the "Concepts" forum here should get trashed because they didn't use Illustrator and had a blurry line or even messy design. Is it truly an area for "concepts" -- or a professional-designs-only forum? But, as time goes on the "newbies" learn, and they start designing for the CCSLC audience. If that's what the majority wants it to be, so be it.

I'm sure the pro designers on this board have come up with some great stuff that was flat-out rejected by the pro teams that hired them, but is that the time to storm off and call them names? Or do you design for the customer regardless of tastes?

The other thing that bothers me with the reaction to this contest -- and the Colts contest, frankly -- is that there is a possibility that a CCSLC member is among the finalists. Those instant blanket statements ripping the choices fail to consider that. Case in point: Steven Little's Cyclones design. I like that concept a lot, as well as the Settlers concept Paul featured, and many others.

Again, congrats to those that were picked.

I emailed Paul Lukas and he did respons to me. He said he did try to not "award" those logos that were obviously lifted. But even though he writes a column on the aesthetics of sports uniforms, he does not have a photographic inventory of logos like many of us here. He said he was unware that the Barons logo was taken from the Desperados. (To be fair, it's an Arena Football logo, so it's not in the public eye as one from the 4 major sports).

If you are a faithful reader of his column, you will see that he really doesn't post any sneak previews of anything unless it's posted first. Most news about new logos is put up by comments to the blog, not by him. He doesn't notice any new logos or uniforms unless someone tells him first, or unless there's a big press conference or release about it (like the Bayern-Munich experimental dance thing last week).

So it's more ignorance than anything else. It's not that he didn't care. More that he just didn't know.

The gallery is just a display of all the submissions, period. No commentary...he just wanted to show the number of people into the contest.

I did suggest that in the future he emphasize original creations, and he thanked me for that comment.

It's pretty sad that he doesn't stay up on changes that effect the core subject of his column. Who is Paul Lukas anyway? What's his background that convinces people to think his opinion on aesthetics has more weight than others? Isn't he just another *sshole fan with an opinion that ESPN gave a job to? With all the bitching about ESPN and its reporting, why do some of you make his column an exception?

If you dislike this so much, you should start your own blog about logos and uniforms. It'll have just as much weight as Paul's.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Isn't he just another *sshole fan with an opinion that ESPN gave a job to?

Anybody that ESPN gives a job to is, by definition, not "just another fan," expletive or otherwise.

With all the bitching about ESPN and its reporting, why do some of you make his column an exception?

Because his is well-written. I don't have to agree with his aesthetic tastes to enjoy his writing.

If you dislike this so much, you should start your own blog about logos and uniforms. It'll have just as much weight as Paul's.

Opinions are, as the saying goes, like screenplays. Everybody has one.

And they're all worth the same, until somebody buys one. Then the equivalency ends.

Isn't he just another *sshole fan with an opinion that ESPN gave a job to?

Anybody that ESPN gives a job to is, by definition, not "just another fan," expletive or otherwise.

With all the bitching about ESPN and its reporting, why do some of you make his column an exception?

Because his is well-written. I don't have to agree with his aesthetic tastes to enjoy his writing.

Opinions are, as the saying goes, like screenplays. Everybody has one.

And they're all worth the same, until somebody buys one. Then the equivalency ends.

Point is, with the hatred for ESPN, who cares what he thinks? It's an opinion piece. It only has as much validity as one gives it, whether a media outlet pays the author or not. Obviously, you think he has something to offer. Good for you.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Point is, with the hatred for ESPN, who cares what he thinks? It's an opinion piece. It only has as much validity as one gives it, whether a media outlet pays the author or not. Obviously, you think he has something to offer. Good for you.

I'm not sure I get your point.

Who is saying anything different?

I'm not sure I get your point.

Who is saying anything different?

Did I miss something when you picked through my original post? Whether ESPN is loved or despised, the content is the responsibility of management. If you despise ESPN, you naturally question management's judgment in what content is provided. They picked Paul as a contributor. B*tching about a contest sponsored by a guy who's aesthetic taste is questionable and is employed by a less-than-highly-regarded news organization seems over the top.

To bring more clarity to my original posts intent, AAO is having an issue with the choices posted. His anger about this contest gives Paul far too much credit as some expert in uniform aesthetics. The internet provides everyone with the opportunity to voice their opinion, and some even make money doing it. Show the world Paul isn't the voice of sports identity enthusiasts by starting your own blog if you don't like his opinion.

That's all.

shysters_sm.jpg

I think the lesson here is "know your audience."

We know Paul's tastes, he doesn't hide them, and he even had a Washington Nationals contest before that gave a pretty good idea of what he was looking for. He has every right to choose whatever he wants for his contest and it does not change my opinion of him as a uniform critic. I know I am echoing a bit of BallWonk, kenclark and ColorWerx here, but I find it very hard to knock Lukas for this. (Although I agree that the use of existing logos should be at least noted when discovered.)

I couldn't agree more with that.

Lucas likes old-school designs, with quirky uniform features, retro logos, fun colors, things like that. The aforementioned "Thunder" concept was much more professional looking than the vast majority of the submissions, but I think lacked the character that he was looking for and prefers.

Who is Paul Lukas anyway? What's his background that convinces people to think his opinion on aesthetics has more weight than others?

For what it's worth, I used to read UniWatch seven, eight years ago (if not longer) on Slate.com. He's been at it a while.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Who is Paul Lukas anyway? What's his background that convinces people to think his opinion on aesthetics has more weight than others?

For what it's worth, I used to read UniWatch seven, eight years ago (if not longer) on Slate.com. He's been at it a while.

He was writing it for the Village Voice before that.

When he announced the contest he even said something about his affinity for quirky smiling logos like the old Milwaukee Bucks logo. Calling it a disgrace is pretty over-blown, but yes certainly him picking his buddies submission as "best overall" was a bit corny.

Thanks for the input, guys. I knew his background and was making a point.

shysters_sm.jpg

Yeah. I would check out his archives there. It's funny to think, isn't it? That he even had an audience at those sites? His writing style at Slate was a little bit different -- shorter columns, more focus on aesthetics than sports, a little more "cute." But I still find it surprising that those outlets would even take him on board.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

When he announced the contest he even said something about his affinity for quirky smiling logos like the old Milwaukee Bucks logo. Calling it a disgrace is pretty over-blown, but yes certainly him picking his buddies submission as "best overall" was a bit corny.

Ill called it a disgrace based on him applauding a stolen logo. I could care less how professional or quirky each looks or who won. Thread was totally take off topic into a how could he pick that, why didnt miene win etc. You know what you are getting yourself into when you enter.

Wish more designers cared about the copied logo and less about the winners

Not so much about winners--it just proves that it obviously wasn't a skill contest or what looked most visually appealing or looked the most realistic or what appeared most thought out--instead just his preference, entirely. That's all, just wanted some clarification. And yeah, like a lot of people mentioned, one of the winners used the Dallas Desperados logo recolored it and handed it in as his own. Which blows. But there were actually a handful of entries that reused the Desperados logo, but he never caught wind of it. Just interesting.

Archived