Carolina League to Grow and California League to Shrink by Two Teams?

Brian in Boston

An addendum to the last story: There is a possibility that the Triple A level may be realigned again, this time to 3 leagues(same as prior to 1998). Could an arrangement like the following alignment work?

International League

Northern Division:

Buffalo, Pawtucket, Rochester, Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, Syracuse

Southern Division:

Charlotte, Durham. Gwinnet, Lehigh Valley, Norfolk

Central League(NEW)

Northern Division:

Iowa, Omaha(From PCL); Columbus, Indianapolis, Louisville, Toledo(From IL)

Southern Division(All from PCL):

Colorado Springs, Memphis, Nashville, New Orleans, Oklahoma, Round Rock

Pacific Coast League

Eastern Division:

Albuquerque, Las Vegas, Reno, Salt Lake

Western Division:

Fresno, Portland, Sacramento, Tacoma

Not that I dispute this, but what's your source for this information? It seems surprising to me that they'd consider breaking AAA-level back up into three leagues when they had to move some mountains to get the AA out of the picture.

I just threw this alignment together in a few minutes, so essentially there is no source. (Warning: If anyone leaks anything about this particular alignment, I will edit it out.)

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Situation at Richmond....

High Class A team on way?

Report: Richmond may get California League franchise

Tuesday, Aug 12, 2008 - 12:07 AM

By JOHN O'CONNOR

TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER

Richmond could be in line for a high Class A franchise relocating from the California League to the Carolina League, according to a report by Baseball America.

The story, published this month, suggests that two of the 10-club California League's weaker franchises with facility problems would move to the eight-team Carolina League. The transfer could help Major League Baseball by bringing more high Class A franchises closer to their parent clubs.

Richmond would represent a geographic fit with the Carolina League, which has in-state teams in Lynchburg, Salem and Woodbridge.

"I guess the way I would respond to that is we are always going to look at configurations and alignments and structures that will be beneficial to our members' needs and to our client, Major League Baseball," said Tim Purpura, executive vice president of Minor League Baseball. "We're always going to try to look and see what's in the best interest of both of those parties.

"Yes, we're talking about those kinds of processes, in those leagues and others."

Minor League Baseball is overseeing Richmond's situation as the Atlanta Braves' Triple-A club prepares to move after this season to Gwinnett County, Ga.

The California League president, Joe Gagliardi, said yesterday that he has heard rumors about contraction of his league for more than five years. The president of Minor League Baseball, Pat O'Conner, in the past month "advised our league that there could be a possibility of movement of two teams because we do have several major-league clubs very upset with the facilities with two of our ballclubs," Gagliardi said.

"I don't even know if Richmond was taken into the equation or not. It's not my business. That's O'Conner's call."

LOOKING FOR LEVEL: Several franchises have filed relocation applications with Minor League Baseball, with the goal of moving to Richmond, Purpura said. None has been approved. Minor League Baseball will first determine "the classification that we think is best for all of baseball," Purpura said. He said Minor League Baseball has not yet concluded what classification that is. Another Triple-A franchise does not seem possible at this time.

Purpura added that once the classification is determined, "then you get a situation where an owner can buy a team and move it there. From there, it's got to be a collaboration between the city and the county, owners, and, to some extent, the league, too.

"We'll be involved until a certain part, then we step back and let the city, the county and the owners get involved with negotiating leases or construction projects, that type of thing."

STILL NO RELEASE: The Richmond territory has not yet been released by the Atlanta Braves and the International League. Until that happens, no formal talks involving Richmond's multijurisdictional representatives, potential owners, and owners of a franchise that wants to move to Richmond is allowed under Minor League Baseball rules. The Braves and the IL will release the Richmond area when they are highly confident the Gwinnett stadium will be ready for 2009.

"Everyone involved in this has to be ready to move once the territory is released," Purpura said. "But there are a lot of moving parts. You can't script it."

INDEPENDENT THOUGHT: Independent-league owner/operators have expressed interest in Richmond, but Purpura suggested that Richmond's representatives indicated to Minor League Baseball that they would prefer to have a franchise that is affiliated with a Major League Baseball organization.

"I would hope that everyone there would understand that the caliber of [independent-league] play is vastly, vastly different from what we, in [affiliated] baseball, can provide," Purpura said. "And I think there's acknowledgement of that, from our talks with the leadership there. The first priority would be affiliated, organized baseball."

baltimoreravens.png

• 3 weeks later...

According to ballparkdigest.com , the proposal is dead for '09, but not for '10

A proposed shift of two California League franchises to the Carolina League was officially scrapped for the 2009 season, as the decision came down on Tuesday to delay any changes. The lack of suitable venues for 2009, as well as some confusion over the economics of the deal, led to the decision. Not a surprise: it's very easy to treat franchises like chess pieces and think they can be moved around at ease, but in the real world there are considerations like leases, moving costs and operating budgets to consider. Indeed, the issue of where the teams would move -- even on a temporary basis -- has proven to be more problematic than MiLB officials anticipated: cities like Fayetteville aren't killing themselves to bring back affiliated baseball when the summer-collegiate game has proven to be a better fit. Also, there was less of an imperative to do something quickly after it became clear Richmond would be home to an Eastern League team.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

According to ballparkdigest.com , the proposal is dead for '09, but not for '10
Also, there was less of an imperative to do something quickly after it became clear Richmond would be home to an Eastern League team.

Looks like its true then, this rumor started out a few months back, but I can live with AA. Rumor is either The Defenders or Sea Wolves or Baysox moving down here & of course.....

BUILD A NEW BALL PARK!!!!!

I mean my God, the Diamond needs to be replaced.

Now before people freak out, Bowie would still have a franchise, whoever doesn't move to Richmond, would move to Bowie. This is a rumor of course, but God I would love for the new team to be affiliated with the O's :)

baltimoreravens.png

Rumor is either The Defenders or Sea Wolves or Baysox moving down here...

Now before people freak out, Bowie would still have a franchise, whoever doesn't move to Richmond, would move to Bowie.

I recently spoke with a friend at the Eastern League offices and he indicated that the most likely option seems to be the Bowie Baysox moving to Richmond, with the Connecticut Defenders subsequently relocating to Bowie.

Now before people freak out, Bowie would still have a franchise, whoever doesn't move to Richmond, would move to Bowie.

I recently spoke with a friend at the Eastern League offices and he indicated that the most likely option seems to be the Bowie Baysox moving to Richmond, with the Connecticut Defenders subsequently relocating to Bowie.

Any word on an affiliation change in conjunction with that move? I'm sure the Orioles would much prefer to keep their AA affiliate in Bowie if at all possible.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Any word on an affiliation change in conjunction with that move? I'm sure the Orioles would much prefer to keep their AA affiliate in Bowie if at all possible.

While I'm sure that the Orioles would prefer to keep their Double A affiliate in Maryland, the O's affiliation agreement is with Ken Young's Maryland Baseball Holding, LLC and runs through 2010. That corporate entity would be the one setting-up shop in Richmond. I don't know that Young would be inclined to negotiate away the remaining two years on that agreement in favor of entering into an affiliation with Connecticut's current parent club - San Francisco - or any of the other MLB teams that have deals scheduled to expire this year: Cincinnati, Florida, Los Angeles, Milwaukee, New York, San Diego or Seattle wouldn't have much more cache in Richmond than the Orioles. Further, I'd be willing to bet that the Reds, Padres and Yankees are locks to re-up with their current Double A farm teams, meaning that Young's choices would be even more limited.

I read there is no truth to this rumor an Orioles board. The Bowie "expert" claimed to have heard that from someone in the Baysox front office. It doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense to me. Why move two teams when you can just move one? Why not just move the Defenders to Richmond?

I don't see why any MLB teams would care about where single A teas are located. I've never heard of a player being called up from single A straight to the majors.

The Orioles called up Jeff Fiorentino from Frederick in 2005. It was definitely a poor move. Not to say he would have become an All-Star. But he had incredible stats before the call up, but seemed to forget how to hit afterwards.

Why move two teams when you can just move one? Why not just move the Defenders to Richmond?

Because, officials with both MiLB and the Eastern League likely prefer that Ken Young be the owner/operator overseeing a market as large and potentially lucrative as Richmond.

Remember, in addition to the Baysox, Young owns and operates the Albuquerque Isotopes and Norfolk Tides at the Triple A level. His stewardship of both teams has been exemplary. By comparison, Lou DiBella's tenure in Norwich, Connecticut hasn't exactly been a textbook case of successful minor-pro sports management. Further, Richmond has much more in common with markets like Albuquerque and Norfolk than it does with a market like Norwich.

As a result, the powers-that-be with MiLB and the Eastern League view it as much more likely that Young - not DiBella - will be capable of maximizing the Richmond market's potential.

As for the Defenders then relocating to Bowie, DiBella likely feels that he's never going to be able to make a go of it in the Southeastern Connecticut marketplace. So, if Young moves the current Baysox franchise to Richmond, DiBella figures that opens up the Bowie market for him.

Either way, baseball coming back to Richmond would be great, this of course means a new name for the team, hopefully with something more connected to the city instead of the affiliate. Sounds like a concept idea for anybody (I would try but I don't have any idea how to do any of that stuff).

With that in mind, I wish I could see the final home games of the RBraves .... This is sadly, bittersweet, sad to see them go but glad to end such a dismal season

baltimoreravens.png

Archived