NCAA uniform code question

FSUViking

So I was watching some old college football games on CBS College Sports from the late 90's and noticed the players were wearing colored gloves. When did the NCAA makes the stupid decision to only allow gray, and why? Anybody know?

It was done so that refs could see who was holding as players would wear gloves the color of the opposition and hold. It was done in 1998 and here's part of the actual press release:

The poster will display how the uniform and the mandatory playing equipment are supposed to be worn. The last uniform/equipment poster was produced in 1984. The committee's most recent interest in establishing consistency with the uniform began last year when it passed a rule that will require, effective in 1999, that the jersey be full-length and tucked into the pants.

At this year's meeting, the committee passed the following rules pertaining to uniforms and/or equipment: that all squad members must wear visible socks or leg coverings that are identical in color, design and length; that all eye shields, if worn, must be clear (transparent) and made from molded and rigid material; and in 1999, all gloves or hand pads, if worn, must be gray in color.

It was done so that refs could see who was holding as players would wear gloves the color of the opposition and hold. It was done in 1998 and here's part of the actual press release:

The poster will display how the uniform and the mandatory playing equipment are supposed to be worn. The last uniform/equipment poster was produced in 1984. The committee's most recent interest in establishing consistency with the uniform began last year when it passed a rule that will require, effective in 1999, that the jersey be full-length and tucked into the pants.

At this year's meeting, the committee passed the following rules pertaining to uniforms and/or equipment: that all squad members must wear visible socks or leg coverings that are identical in color, design and length; that all eye shields, if worn, must be clear (transparent) and made from molded and rigid material; and in 1999, all gloves or hand pads, if worn, must be gray in color.

:huh: One of the gayest things I've ever heard. Although being the NCAA, it's not the least bit surprising. They've since rescinded some on the visors, as I've seen many players with either orange tint or darker tint (not to the level of, say a Drian Dawkins or LT, but certainly darker than clear). I think it's funny they use "holding" as the main reason considering the old adage "you could literally call holding on every play." :rolleyes:

So wait - college players are going to have to all wear matching socks this year? Does that mean full coverage from the pants down, or just that the socks match, regardless of length / height?

@FSUViking - what's so gay about it? I could see if the rule had something to do with forcing all of the captains to open-mouth kiss each other instead of shaking hands prior to the coin toss that you could make a case that the rule was gay, but I fail to see the "gayness" of the posted rules.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

So wait - college players are going to have to all wear matching socks this year? Does that mean full coverage from the pants down, or just that the socks match, regardless of length / height?

No, the rule is from 1998. They've had to wear matching socks since then.

@FSUViking - what's so gay about it? I could see if the rule had something to do with forcing all of the captains to open-mouth kiss each other instead of shaking hands prior to the coin toss that you could make a case that the rule was gay, but I fail to see the "gayness" of the posted rules.

Somebody drag out the blue ribbon graphic - we're done for the day, and it's only 9:45 EDT.

The rule makes perfect sense to me and always has and I think colored gloves are tacky anyhow. If any organization is busy looking into rules and changes that better the game, it is the NCAA- although not always perfect, it sure as hell beats watching the NFL. I'm pretty sure the rule also extends to High School football as well.

The rule makes perfect sense to me and always has and I think colored gloves are tacky anyhow. If any organization is busy looking into rules and changes that better the game, it is the NCAA- although not always perfect, it sure as hell beats watching the NFL. I'm pretty sure the rule also extends to High School football as well.

As a HS official (at Umpire so I get to see the gloves and holding a lot, and yes holding could be called on EVERY play), the NFHS (HS rules agency) has modified the rules over the past few years brining them more in line with the college game. Gloves are mostly either white or grey, and will require an authenticating mark by 2009 (was supposed to be this year but it has not been completed yet with NOCASE).

Over the past few years HS football is been getting closer to the college rules, but of course colleges do not use the 8 or 9 man game (which is real fast paced, and uesd with many of the rural schools in the US, where there just is not enough kids to field a large 11 man team with reserves.) Both the HS and college games rock, with the NFL being too "political" for my tastes.

"Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc!:  "After this, therefore, because of this."

f3dca0b9-3d53-4cd3-b468-7ac58806b3dc.png

^^^

The only high school I know of that have 8 or 9 man football are private schools with the stereotypical "all-Caucasian" team found in the South. I've attended many of those games and they are quite boring and uninteresting...the level of athleticism hits an all-time low in my experiences.

I haven't seen 8-man games, but I know out here in SoCal, it's strong from San Diego up to LA as there are smaller schools that don't have the ability to field an 11-man team due to enrollment size and I doubt very seriously that there's a color issue or a boredom issue unless it's 72-7, as I guess there is in the South. Then again, I've seen some pretty boring 11-man games.

Wow. Is that the solo meaning of "gay" to you? Sexuality? You're either dating yourself here, Pops, or are a homophobe. Enlighten yourself a little and I'll be glad to explain why I think the rule is dumb.

Somebody drag out the blue ribbon graphic - we're done for the day, and it's only 9:45 EDT.

Standards that low around here?

Depends on where you live. How is wearing black and green gloves if you play for the Eagles, thus matching the uniform, tacky? It's football. Not Queer Eye. And your "compliment" of the NCAA is laughable. I love college football, but the NCAA is the biggest joke of a sports governing body there is. How you can say an organization that exploits it's athlete to the tune of billions of dollars, cares about the benefit of the games, is beyond me. Three initials. B.C.S.

Archived