Detroit Titans unveil new logos

KJTALBOT

Very nice - the lighting as the tail is a nice touch. Love the shield/sword concept instead of a 'man' logo.

Well done Detroit!

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Meh.

New%20Titan%20logo%20for%20web.jpg

They remind me of San Jose State. UNC-Greensboro

What was wrong with using the Titan helmet? An update of that logo was all that was needed...

shield-color.gif

Very simialr, by no means stolen. Sorry, not much real input, long time lurker, infrequent poster, I just rarely see my school (UNCG) in any logo discussion, thought I would add my two cents.

I like the design. A fresh look at the name Titans.

It doesn't feel very collegiate, if that makes any sense. Perhaps because the nickname is larger than the school name, or perhaps because so many collegiate logos have the image popping above the wordmark. It's not the fault of this design, it's just a comparison thing. Like I said, I like it a lot.

This is the outside-the-box thinking that more colleges need to approach.

"Outside-the-box"? You're likely giving them far too much credit. I'd be willing to bet that the decision to use a local firm was driven by the belief that doing so would ultimately cost less than going with a national company. Either that, or someone at the University of Detroit Mercy knows someone at Starr Constand.

Give some local design firms a chance, i'll bet they can produce superior work to the national fastfood firms.

Until such time as they don't. Then, all of the "aesthetes" in this community will gather their pitchforks and torches, begin to wail and gnash their teeth, and complain that the client "screwed the pooch" by failing to spend the money necessary to secure the services of a major sports branding firm, opting instead to pinch pennies by going with a local shop.

This is the outside-the-box thinking that more colleges need to approach.

"Outside-the-box"? You're likely giving them far too much credit. I'd be willing to bet that the decision to use a local firm was driven by the belief that doing so would ultimately cost less than going with a national company. Either that, or someone at the University of Detroit Mercy knows someone at Starr Constand.

Give some local design firms a chance, i'll bet they can produce superior work to the national fastfood firms.

Until such time as they don't. Then, all of the "aesthetes" in this community will gather their pitchforks and torches, begin to wail and gnash their teeth, and complain that the client "screwed the pooch" by failing to spend the money necessary to secure the services of a major sports branding firm, opting instead to pinch pennies by going with a local shop.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with colleges looking to local designers first. Get off your high horse. To suggest they're not capable of producing better work smacks of ridiculous folly.

We know you love your "national" big firms, pal.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with colleges looking to local designers first.

I never said there was. I simply opined that doing so doesn't necessarily qualify as "outside-the-box" thinking on the part of the client.

Get off your high horse.

You have the temerity to take another member of the CCSLC to task for supposedly sitting atop a "high horse"? Given the content and tone of most of the posts that you've shared with this community, that is too rich.

Lest he who hath no sin...

To suggest they're not capable of producing better work smacks of ridiculous folly.

Again, I never suggested any such thing. In point of fact, I stated that the work of Starr Constand - a local Detroit firm - on behalf of the University of Detroit Mercy was a "marked improvement over their former logo", mentioning that I loved "the attention to detail on the shield".

We know you love your "national" big firms, pal.

First of all, I don't know you from a hole in the wall and I get the distinct impression from the manner in which you handle yourself in this community that I wouldn't be inclined to count you amongst my close friends. As such, the whole "pal" strikes me as being overly familiar.

As for my preference in design firms, I "love" those that produce quality work. Period. They can be national or local, big or small - it makes no difference to me. You see, I judge each identity package on its own merits, regardless of which firm produced it. I don't bring preconceived notions to the table... unlike a certain "aesthete" who has an all-too-obvious axe to grind with the "big firms".

"I'm not your friend, guy!"

"He's not your guy, buddy!"

"I'm not your buddy, friend!"

Sorry I just had to do that...

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

I like this logo a lot, I just wish U of D had more than just basketball to even get remotely excited about lol.

Hell, the basketball hasn't even been worth working up a decent froth over, lately. They used to have a pretty great college football program, but they put the kibosh on that some time ago. Put U of D football into Google, and you won't get much more than a few bites here and there. You can't even find a pic of what their helmets looked like, or anything.

Sorry, didn't realize I had that much of an opinion on the subject.

"Well, they made that change uptown and The Big Man joined the band."

--Bruce Springsteen

"10th Avenue Freeze-Out"

Archived