Detroit Titans unveil new logos

KJTALBOT

I like that the logo and colors somewhat resemble the Pistons' lightning bolt scheme of the late 70s. Nice use of the Detroit skyline as an alt. logo, as well.

"Well, they made that change uptown and The Big Man joined the band."

--Bruce Springsteen

"10th Avenue Freeze-Out"

So the shield and sword remind you of San Jose State, who use a helmet as their logo, but in your opinion, Detroit should have gone with the helmet to distinguish themselves from that?

I'm confused.

The logo looks good. Not the best, but better than average.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

So the shield and sword remind you of San Jose State, who use a helmet as their logo, but in your opinion, Detroit should have gone with the helmet to distinguish themselves from that?

I'm confused.

The logo looks good. Not the best, but better than average.

Crap... did I say San Jose State? I meant UNC Greensboro (I always get those two confused)... Yeah, I guess that wouldn't make much sense...

Meh.

They remind me of San Jose State. UNC-Greensboro

What was wrong with using the Titan helmet? An update of that logo was all that was needed...

I'll respectfully disagree, and give the new set a B minus. Updating the helmet would've only kept them lost in the shuffle with the likes of USC, San Jose State, Troy, Norfolk State--and worst of all, Michigan State (and Fitzgerald High School, for that matter) in their own backyard. The shield is rendered well, and in a perspective unique from others who use one in their logo. The wordmarks are quite weak though, between the Atlanta Hawks vibe the "A" gives, and the forced lightning bolt. Nice effort to give the one alt a Detroit flavor by using the skyline, though--such a bland, generic nickname as Titans needs something to distinguish it from the umpteen similar identities.

Overall, these are nice. But that lightning bolt needs to go, and they would've been wise to somehow incorporate some version of our area's ubiquitous Olde English "D" (there are a couple others commonly seen around town besides the Tigers' variation, such as the one in my sig logo).

I like this logo a lot, I just wish U of D had more than just basketball to even get remotely excited about lol.

Well... How about lacrosse? UDM has both men and women's lacrosse starting this upcoming season. Does that count or would you prefer say, football at the FCS Non-Scholly level?

"The new insignia for Detroit Titan Athletics - designed by a Detroit-based firm, Starr Constand - replaces a logo which has been in use since 1993."

Good idea not going with a national company and getting a cookie-cutter logo.

Everyone loves a roundel.

"The new insignia for Detroit Titan Athletics - designed by a Detroit-based firm, Starr Constand - replaces a logo which has been in use since 1993."

Good idea not going with a national company and getting a cookie-cutter logo.

Amen to this. This is the outside-the-box thinking that more colleges need to approach. Give some local design firms a chance, i'll bet they can produce superior work to the national fastfood firms.

Archived