The Houston Flock - WFA Fantasy Football

robbman21

Here's my new logo package for my WFA team, the Houston Flock. The overall theme is meant to have a dark, goth style and I think this pretty much carries that. With the three logos I realize there's no real unity between them, but I like how they're their own marks and not re-positions of the same logo. The primary logo is - of course- basically a re-color of the unused Baltimore Ravens logo from 1999, with some tweaks done to the beak. My previous primary for this team was just my own version of that unused logo, albeit very basic so that there were little similarities. Three years ago I decided to upgrade the logos to something with better quality (I went with low-key, downgraded imagery on purpose) and so I retooled the unused Raven since that's what the original was based off of anyway.

The secondary is a re-tooling of a bird I did for a contest/challenge on the boards here 3 years ago. The challenge was to make an alternate logo for the St. Louis Cardinals, and I came up with this one "in-flight", and then re-colored it and made several tweaks to use it for this. The legs are still based off the St. Louis bird, which is why they look kinda weak IMO in this concept.

The wordmark and alternate are by far my favorite, and will most likely be the primaries next year, but since I've had the first two logos for 3 years now, I at least wanted to put them out there and run a season with them. These two are also new, just made within the past couple of weeks. I used the font for the movie "The Crow" but again tweaked it to flow better and make it more like a sports logo. And the main thing is, it's fantasy football...MY fantasy football team...and I was free to do something goofy that I'd likely never attempt to do for a client or for another concept on here. The uniforms will be brought out soon...as well as one of the templates I've been working on forever on which to display them. As always...enjoy!!

For best quality, please click on and open in another window

FlockLogos.png

98Falcons.png

I see what your doing with the wordmark, but i dont like it, it look lke its saying like "1lock", so my suggestion would be move the bird over the the left some (like left from the computer screen <--), then put the rest of the F, over the bird, then i think you have a good logo cuz the rest of it is awesome.

It kinda looks like Fock?

usajohnson.gif

98% of people claim to have "brought sexy back." Well, I'm the 2% that never left.

Hometown Heroes

Dallas Stars- Brenden Morrow // Marty Turco // Loui Erikkson

Dallas Mavericks- Dirk Nowitzki // Jason Kidd // Jason Terry

Dallas Cowboys- Terrell Owens // DeMarcus Ware // Terence Newman // Felix Jones

Texas Rangers- Ian Kinsler // Elvis Andrus // Marlon Byrd

You know, a group of crows is called a "murder" of crows and a group of ravens is an "unkindness."

Flock is more of a generic term for a group. It even fits a groups of churchgoers. Perhaps keep the secondary but add more birds to the word mark (in silhouette, maybe). As it stands, it's tough to read. Push the letters to the front.

Something kept looking "off" about my wordmark, and I finally realized that somewhere in the saving process, the elements within the vectored art got moved around and what was posted above was not how I ended the "birdmark" to look. So I went back and re-aligned everything to where it was intended and even though it's still a little busy and tough to read, I do think it looks better.

FlockWordmark.png

98Falcons.png

Actually, here's the originals that I used for my two full-bodied birds. The more detailed bird began life as an attempt at an "in-flight" St. Louis Cardinals logo, and I modified it as best I could to start life over as a crow. The cardinal pictured here is not EXACTLY the one I used for my reference was from an actual photo that I can't find on google anymore, but this painting looks like it was made from my source photo because the pose is uncanny yet it's lacking the feather detail that I traced-in from the original pic.

3010_large.jpg

wpe17.jpg

98Falcons.png

• 4 weeks later...

And now I thought I'd unveil the uniforms for my WFA team. I actually came up with this concept 6 years ago, when it was announced on the old Fanhome logos board (our home before Chris got his own server and site) that the Atlanta Falcons would be getting new uniforms for 2003. Even though these kind-of wreak of that time period (piping,shoulder inserts,swoosh pants) I still wanted them to see the light of day again somehow, so I brought them back for about the 50,000th time for my team's return to fantasy football after a two year absence. In addition to the Falcons, I used this same basic design for a couple of contests here on the boards, and I may repost those one day as well. I have to give special thanks to slapshot for allowing me to trace his template to present these uniforms to you with. As always...enjoy!!

2008 Houston Flock

2008Uniforms.png

Alternate

2008AlternateUnis.png

98Falcons.png

• 4 weeks later...

First-off I have to say a huge "thank you" to both Brandon_Odis and BigDub81 for their football action templates, for without those guys, mine would have probably never seen the light of day. I started thinking about doing an action template for all sports in early 2006 and even started on a hockey one that I hope to have out one day, but I took a long break from art and being creative in general and kind-of gave up on the idea of them and figured they wouldn't have much usefulness anyway. When I came back to the boards a year ago, I was surprised and ecstatic to see that Brandon had made his, and then after seeing Bigdub's QB template, I knew this was a project I had to take back up. A few weeks ago I PM'd both Brandon and BigDub and let them know what I was doing just so I'd have it out in the open with those guys to make sure that everything was cool to proceed, and after getting Brandon's blessing, I present to you my finished product - for now...other positions on the way - here on display with my WFA team's uniforms.

All of these guys represent the Flock at one point or another. Deion Sanders was a member of the Ravens defense in 2004 and thus was part of the Flock. Also in 2004 I picked up a QB having a breakout year by the name of Drew Brees. And the alternate uniform is represented by my currently banged-up running back Brian Westbrook. I look forward to hearing all of the C&C from you guys....as always...enjoy!

2008 HOUSTON FLOCK

FlockActionUniforms2008.png

98Falcons.png

those uniforms do look pretty sweet, I have to say. One thing though, it's Brian Westbrook, not Michael ;)

You plan on handing those templates out or keeping them in house?

Thanks for pointing that out...it's now been corrected lol. As far as distributing, that's what they were ultimately made for...to put these out there to the masses to say I helped improve the overall quality and presentation of everyone's concepts. I'm going to hold onto them only for the time being because I have a couple of elaborate projects in the works and I'd like to finish those and get those posted before I start sending them out and the flood gates open with new football concepts. I'm also working on other positions...linebacker...defensive end...tight end...and kicker...as well as making new helmet and face mask options for each one so you could literally make these templates whoever you wanted them to be. And when those are done...I plan to make another style QB, another RB or two, and just keep it going...just keep trying to better myself with each one and hopefully inspire those who see the concepts and those who use the new templates to better their own work each time as well. With all that said, thanks a bunch for the good words guys...glad somebody likes them!

98Falcons.png

Archived