Cubs road cap update

CubsFanBudMan

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Going to navy would be counter-productive, since the royal cap is so iconic.

Yes it would as seen last night against the Astros. The Cubs wore their royal blue jerseys with a navy cap (or so it looked) and it did not look good. Royal blue is the way to go for the Cubs; it separates them from the many teams who already wear navy.

I don't think it looks that bad - consider that it was upper 80's and humid, and the cap likely was drenched in sweat. This isn't aweful:

61f7b08a-b2aa-407b-8240-6569a3533c25.jpg

6e19f943-8687-4d0a-92dc-bde7774165f4.jpg

Moose

Going to navy would be counter-productive, since the royal cap is so iconic.

Yes it would as seen last night against the Astros. The Cubs wore their royal blue jerseys with a navy cap (or so it looked) and it did not look good. Royal blue is the way to go for the Cubs; it separates them from the many teams who already wear navy.

I don't think it looks that bad - consider that it was upper 80's and humid, and the cap likely was drenched in sweat. This isn't aweful:

61f7b08a-b2aa-407b-8240-6569a3533c25.jpg

6e19f943-8687-4d0a-92dc-bde7774165f4.jpg

Moose

Yeah it is. The jersey looks too faded. It's a shame they don't match because the blue cap would look great with a "matching blue" jersey (and this from a Cardinals fan.)

Another reason I don't like the blue alts at home. I think the red bill on the road caps hides the mismatch better. But is it a New Era or Majestic problem. The cap came first, but don't they limit the blue shades?

The helmet matches the jerseys better, but looked terrible with the darker BPs.

Interesting - New Era produces two shades of royal blue for its 59fifties, and the Cubs wear the darker version (as do the Dodgers), contrasted with the lighter version worn by the Royals and Brewers.

If they wore the brighter royal, it might work better with the jersey.

Good to hear the navy is being coolly received, but I'm seeing more of it at games, but that's probably because it's the only option at Wrigley. The navy therma base jackets threw me, but if they are expanding those to include "fashion" colors for other teams, then that makes sense.

These are sort of an eye sore....

pMLB2-4344311dt.jpg

...the lighter version worn by the Royals and Brewers.

If they wore the brighter royal, it might work better with the jersey.

Mets too? For some reason that always struck me as one that would match.

Either way, if they're going to stick with those alts, they ought to get them lined up.

And ren, that's the one. They could at least change the blue in the logo, too. The clashing just brings back memories of the navy BP days of '05-06. More and more merch just seems to be forcing it with navy.

I could well be wrong on the Rangers, although I'm pretty confident in the others. I was mostly concerned with comparing the Dodgers, Cubs and Brewers (I too prefer the darker one, and think it would make the Brewers' gold pop more).

Next person to stop by Lids, give it a look.

At times, it's seemed the Dodgers, too, use the darker, but then others it's seems to be the brighter shade. I think, that if the Mets DO happen to drop black with the move to Citi Field next year, they should switch to the darker. The orange and the darker royal would look even more beautiful than the current blue and orange combo.

Rangers may do a slightly darker blue, but I really noticed when I went to a game down there last year them also pushing tons of navy blue merchandise. Tons of people wearing navy blue 'jersey' player T's.

If the Cubs go to navy it's a travesty.

Bring back the Whale!

Good to hear the navy is being coolly received, but I'm seeing more of it at games, but that's probably because it's the only option at Wrigley. The navy therma base jackets threw me, but if they are expanding those to include "fashion" colors for other teams, then that makes sense.

These are sort of an eye sore....

pMLB2-4344311dt.jpg

This is the worst Bills jacket I've ever seen.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

• 4 months later...

I'm new here but I thought maybe I could throw my two cents in here. I'd like to see the Cubs do a total modern remake of the 1908 unis. Keep the current royal and red colors but bring back the standing cub logo (in royal) and detail him up a bit, make the C around the cub red, outlined in royal and drop the pinstripes (yea, I know, they're "untouchable" but it's not like the Cubs have ALWAYS used pinstripes, even though it may seem that way). Maybe throw the current Cubs "target" logo on the sleeve to replace the walking cub... What do you guys think?

I'm new here but I thought maybe I could throw my two cents in here. I'd like to see the Cubs do a total modern remake of the 1908 unis. Keep the current royal and red colors but bring back the standing cub logo (in royal) and detail him up a bit, make the C around the cub red, outlined in royal and drop the pinstripes (yea, I know, they're "untouchable" but it's not like the Cubs have ALWAYS used pinstripes, even though it may seem that way). Maybe throw the current Cubs "target" logo on the sleeve to replace the walking cub... What do you guys think?

That hot sensation you are feeling is the coming of a massive explosion of flames in your direction. It's bad form to revive dead threads unless you have an update to contribute.

No big deal. Live and learn.

Untitled-1-1.gif

Sig by TalktoChuck

I don't care if the thread gets bumped, but your redesign doesn't sound very good. Even though the Cubs are an old team, I think of them as having a fairly modern aesthetic, with the curvy numbers and all those years of the pullovers which really didn't look all that bad in relation to other teams that went in that direction. If anything, the Cubs should have an alternate inspired by 1984, not 1908. At the very least, if they can't go for big thick red and white stripes on the sleeves and collar, put the plain old Cubs logo on the front. I really don't care for the Scavenging Bear. You can almost picture it overturning a dumpster and therein obtaining Kevin Gregg.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived