Cubs road cap update

CubsFanBudMan

Come on, people, somebody post some pictures of the new Cubs road cap already! I'm dying to see what it looks like! tongue.gif

Hope I don't get banned for this leak, but...

pMLB2-3536877dt.jpg

:)

I really don't care for the Scavenging Bear. You can almost picture it overturning a dumpster and therein obtaining Kevin Gregg.

Nice... I can picture it. And I'd also like a blue jersey that uses the primary logo and adds some piping.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Come on, people, somebody post some pictures of the new Cubs road cap already! I'm dying to see what it looks like! tongue.gif

Hope I don't get banned for this leak, but...

pMLB2-3536877dt.jpg

:)

I really don't care for the Scavenging Bear. You can almost picture it overturning a dumpster and therein obtaining Kevin Gregg.

Nice... I can picture it. And I'd also like a blue jersey that uses the primary logo and adds some piping.

I think the fact that you're a Cubs fan is banworthy enough... although I guess we can play the pity card and keep you around because we feel sorry for you.

:D

This is good news for me. I've never been a fan of their road cap and wish they would go for a simpler, more traditional set. Here's a concept I never got around to uploading. It replaces the current primary with the logo in my av, which is my favorite Cubs logo ever. I could probably have added a sleeve patch or something, but I like it the way it is.

2iacrjt.jpg

That's one of the better sleeve logos, but it can't replace THE Cubs logo. That I cannot get behind. I'd prefer blue trimmed in red on the white and grey alike. The blue names and red numbers on the greys has never looked good to me, because the balance of the colors gets thrown off: the Cubs are emphatically a Blue Team, but the big red numbers take away from that. Use a light enough grey, and I don't think there's any concern that blue numbers trimmed in red will bleed into purple. It looks dynamite on the whites, after all. I'm still advocating a curvilinear NOB font in place of varsity block, because nowhere else in the Cubs' identity do they use such angular lettering: the numbers are curvy, the main wordmark (which is ugly and could stand to be replaced) is sans-serif and modern, even the UBS in C-UBS is rounded. The Chicago wordmarks have traditionally been nice and rounded, excepting those years they used Rockwell (which I liked!). Am I making any sense here? Wouldn't a bold Trade Gothic or something to that effect be an improvement in this small department? Also, I'd prefer the red bean on the hats for no good reason.

You know what I do like? No sleeve logos. There's no need, and with the left-breast placement of the Cubs logo, it leftloads (a neologism?) the jersey to have the primary and secondary on one side and a while lot of nothin' on the right.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I think the fact that you're a Cubs fan is banworthy enough...

To date, no Cubs fan has proposed to Nick on a message board.

To date, no Cubs fan has witnessed the Cubs actually winning a World Series, either.

Exactly. No series, no post-series letdowns. Why set ourselves up for disappointment?

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Usually, the standby reference for frivolous updates is "Malibu Stacy: now with new hat," but this is even more frivolous, because it's less than a hat. I'm at a loss for Simpsons jokes.

Someone on the Pirates thread said their new alt with a white outline might be the least significant change between two otherwise identical caps.

Don't know if a different color button beats that, but I was thinking that exact same thing. I think it might. Hopefully it was just a graphic "typo".

I have the Cubs home and away almost being exactly the same except the button is read on the home and self blue on the road...

Really? It doesn't seem worth having two caps for just a button color.

I agree. It's a tad strange, maybe they are only doing it on the replicas? Not sure.

• 2 months later...

Sorry to revive this old thread, but this is the first confirmation I've found by anyone associated with the Cubs that this change is happening, along with another new change:

Cubs.com 'Inbox'

The relevant passage:

I noticed that most of the Cubs are wearing the old style batting helmets. Is that just for Spring Training or do most players not like the "Airflow" helmets?

-- Stewart Y., Bettendorf, Iowa

The Cubs have discontinued the "Airflow" helmets because they kept breaking. They went through 40-50 helmets last year and have returned to the old style ones. Also, no red bill on their caps.

Weren't they "Coolflo" helmets, though? Kind of glad to see them gone. No threat of a Rangers two-tone. Anyway, thanks to ColorWerx and Showtime and everyone else here who confirmed it, but I found it odd that the Cubs never mentioned it and continued selling the ex-road cap at full price.

Sorry to revive this old thread, but this is the first confirmation I've found by anyone associated with the Cubs that this change is happening, along with another new change:

Cubs.com 'Inbox'

The relevant passage:

I noticed that most of the Cubs are wearing the old style batting helmets. Is that just for Spring Training or do most players not like the "Airflow" helmets?

-- Stewart Y., Bettendorf, Iowa

The Cubs have discontinued the "Airflow" helmets because they kept breaking. They went through 40-50 helmets last year and have returned to the old style ones. Also, no red bill on their caps.

Weren't they "Coolflo" helmets, though? Kind of glad to see them gone. No threat of a Rangers two-tone. Anyway, thanks to ColorWerx and Showtime and everyone else here who confirmed it, but I found it odd that the Cubs never mentioned it and continued selling the ex-road cap at full price.

What? You found it odd that the Cubs would do something that continued to make them money? :D

PS - I'm a Cub fan up here beyond the stateline.

It's where I sit.

Coolflo, yeah, but the fan made a mistake and Muskrat kept it in there. Anyway, those were really ugly, and unbecoming of a National League charter team. All they have to do now is fix those road uniforms.

Yeah, I guess the fan gave Muskat an excuse to leave out the brand name and she took it -- I don't blame her. That's all these new-look helmets were really about anyway, publicity. The vents have not increased stolen bases, to my knowledge.

And I am ready -- yet a bit scared -- for a road jersey update. Although I do think the all-blue caps will look nice with this one. Haven't seen it in the spring yet.

What? You found it odd that the Cubs would do something that continued to make them money? :D

PS - I'm a Cub fan up here beyond the stateline.

I thought they were past all that "just in it for the money" and "curses" stuff. All about winning now, right? :)

I thought they were past all that "just in it for the money" and "curses" stuff. All about winning now, right? :)

That's why they need 50 night games a year now. Because the players, you see, they can't handle all that daytime heat and sunlight. Well, except the players on opposing teams. And the Latin ones. Wait, what?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Since we're on the topic of mixing things up -- Would any fan be opposed if the Cubs altered or did away with their primary logo? (Big "C", small "UBS")

Yeah, the logo has been a part of the Cubs since the late 70s (for that matter, my entire lifetime), but it really does nothing for me at all. It's not exactly a classic, nor is it very attractive at all. It just seems really generic. Perhaps they could try using the "walking cub" alternate logo on the home unis, or the plain "C" like the one they use on their hat, without using the "UBS"...

Oh by the way, Awesome win tonight!

The Cubs bullseye logo is by far my favorite. I'd hate to see it go away, personally.

rams3_zps8ezugnuj.jpg

Archived