London NFL game is playable in Madden 09

Viper

I'm currently playing Madden 09 in Franchise Mode on a PS3 as the Packers (a "what-if" scenario where I have brought back Brett Favre as their starting QB). Believe it or not you can actually play other teams' games in Franchise Mode, so when I got to Week 8 I decided to play the Chargers-Saints game just to see whether or not it would actually be played in London.

The answer is... yes and no. It turns out the game is played in a "neutral" stadium but it is called "London Stadium", not Wembley Stadium. Which is just as well because the stadium, as rendered, bears little resemblance to the real Wembley (or even, for that matter, to Wembley as it appears in the new FIFA 09 game). It doesn't even have the giant arch over the field. If anything it looks like a slightly modified/recolored version of Giants Stadium.

And that's not the only inauthentic thing about it. As you may know, Madden 09 for PS3 shows an exterior shot of the stadium as part of the standard pregame preso, complete with traffic on a nearby street. Well, guess what: For the London game, the traffic is going in the same direction it always does - meaning that in this case it's going on the wrong side of the road! :lol:

Has anyone else here tried to play the London game on a different platform? Is it any more authentic than what I've described for PS3?

CCSLC signature.png

I stumbled upon this while playing superstar mode on ps2, the nose guard I created (modeled after myself, so lineman short [as distinct from regular short], slow and ugly lol) happened to get drafted by the Bolts, and when we got to the Saints game i was initially wondering when the hell they took the roof off the Superdome...and then it dawned on me. :blink:

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I think the problem there would be about the licensing of the Wembley identity, which is owned by the FA. I guess the makers of the game could not come to deal.

I'm no business major but, in theory, if EA Sports already has licensed the image for their line of FIFA games, wouldn't that translate to the rest of their library?

I think the problem there would be about the licensing of the Wembley identity, which is owned by the FA. I guess the makers of the game could not come to deal.

I'm no business major but, in theory, if EA Sports already has licensed the image for their line of FIFA games, wouldn't that translate to the rest of their library?

I thought so at first, but then, I thought that maybe there are specific licences for each game.

I saw, I came, I left.

Slightly off-topic but has anybody heard/seen anything further on whether the Saints are wearing throwbacks? That was the speculation when Reggie Bush was featured in publicity shots for the game wearing a throwback jersey but I've nothing more since then.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I was wondering the same thing. It would seem intuitive that they would share stadium modeling across each game title.

And that's not the only inauthentic thing about it. As you may know, Madden 09 for PS3 shows an exterior shot of the stadium as part of the standard pregame preso, complete with traffic on a nearby street. Well, guess what: For the London game, the traffic is going in the same direction it always does - meaning that in this case it's going on the wrong side of the road! :lol:

That's not the only exterior shot they got wrong. For Ford Field they show the stadium at the angle it is usually shown at showcasing the main entrance with the downtown Detroit skyline in the distance. Cool for one problem: downtown Detroit appears to be northwest of the stadium when it is really southeast of Ford Field.

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

Archived