Georgia Uniform Research

GoDawgs08

I just posed this picture from 1999 regarding the white pants

Sanks_v_LSU.jpg

Im trying to put together a solid yearbook of Georgia football unis, but the problem is they make so many subtle changes ... and its difficult to get dates with photos.

Here is my raw knowledge...but I'm sure I'm a little off, and some of it gets complicated...despite the simplicity of the uniform

1970s- red helmet w/ thin white stripe....red jerseys with white block numbers, white jerseys with black block numbers...no sleeve stripes....silver pants

1980- switch to triple stripe design on sleeves, add red pants....wore once in 1980 and in 1985

1990- switch back to plain sleeves, still solid white and solid black block numbering for respective jerseys, silver pants

...somewhere in the early 90's they add a thin outline to the numbering

1996? - modernized shadowed numerals replace block numbers, a double black striping design is added to collar and sleeve

also wore white jerseys with black pants in bowl game.

insert a black stripe on the helmet

1998? 99? changed striping on sleeve and collar to the red/white/black/white/red

also wore black pants with red jerseys against Florida

ditched black pants after that

1999- wore solid white pants vs. LSU

2002- changed numerals back to solid blocks with black/red outline for respective jerseys

2005- switched to new material, changed collar and sleeve stripe to solid black/solid red for respective jerseys

2007- added black jersey

also, the Georgia logo moved around on the jerseys and pants randomly many times ... it appears so many times im starting to think the photos are playing tricks on me........i cant pinpoint to exactly when each logo replacement takes place, but you will notice its a ton!

temp.png

I just posed this picture from 1999 regarding the white pants

Sanks_v_LSU.jpg

Im trying to put together a solid yearbook of Georgia football unis, but the problem is they make so many subtle changes ... and its difficult to get dates with photos.

Here is my raw knowledge...but I'm sure I'm a little off, and some of it gets complicated...despite the simplicity of the uniform

1970s- red helmet w/ thin white stripe....red jerseys with white block numbers, white jerseys with black block numbers...no sleeve stripes....silver pants

That I can remember the only year Georgia only wore grey (i.e. silver) pants in the '70s was 1979. When I started watching a lot of football (circa 1973 or so) they were wearing white pants. In fact, when I first saw them wearing the grey in 1979 thought they were copying the Atlanta Falcons who had switched to grey the year before (1978). It wasn't until much later that I learned that UGA had a long history of wearing silver pants up until the early 1960s. I had just always seen them wearing white.

It might be an urban legend, but I have heard a story that Vince Dooley switched to white pants during his second year because he didn't like that the Georgia cheer of "Go you silver BRITCHES" could be mis-heard as "Go you silver BITCHES".

EDIT: I forgot to mention the helmet stripe. It seems like for a few years (right after they removed the black stripe) they were using a really wide white stripe - almost as wide as Tennessee's helmet stripe. Now they are back to a more normal-sized helmet stripe.

The first black pants' use was the 1998 Outback Bowl win over Wisconsin.

Also, Georgia wore red road pants in Herschel Walker?s freshman season; I recall them specifically in the Bulldogs? win over Florida.

Georgia wore silver pants (more gray at the time) against Florida in Walkers freshman season.

temp.png

Also, Georgia wore red road pants in Herschel Walker?s freshman season; I recall them specifically in the Bulldogs? win over Florida.

The Dawgs did wear red pants against Tennessee in Walker's freshman season. There's the famous clip of Walker in red pants running over Bill Bates of Tennessee (later Dallas Cowboys) dressed in orange jersey and pants.

The Dawgs did wear red pants against Tennessee in Walker's freshman season. There's the famous clip of Walker in red pants running over Bill Bates of Tennessee (later Dallas Cowboys) dressed in orange jersey and pants.

And how...

That is ridiculous...

I noticed Tennessee had artificial turf in that clip. What is with the SEC and artificial turf around those times? I know Florida, Alabama, Vandy and Tennessee all had artificial turf. In the ACC I know Virginia did and GT may have.

I noticed the stripe difference too. I believe they slimmed it back down last season.

t1_dj_si.jpg

slideshow_305112_19.jpg

...actually its difficult to tell...my eyes are telling me the stripe on Shocks helmet above is SLIGHTLY wider.

I think they're the same, Shockley is just closer to the camera and that's causing the stripe to look wider. Look at the stripe compared to the front bumper. If Shockley's is wider, it's not by more than a fraction of an inch.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Archived