Arena Football League reschedules draft, again...

Ez Street

The dates for the AFL Dispersal Draft and the beginning of the free-agent signing period have been rescheduled for Tuesday, December 9 and Thursday, December 11, respectively, the League announced Wednesday.

What the hell is going on. This is the 4th time they've rescheduled it.

I've heard something about more teams might fold or the whole damn league might go kaput.

Ok Arena nuts, what's the latest scoop? Who could be out?

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are all sorts of schedules floating around different sites and all sorts of rumo(u)rs about too. Chicago had half of its schedule up at one point.

The basic consensus is that the delay is due to the fact that the deal with Platinum is still in the air and, apparently, due to the fact that they are finding out about some nasty little secrets (what, exactly, I'm not sure) that even the teams didn't know about.

Whoever is making the decisions is making Gary Bettman look like... well, no, he's still an idiot too... but still.

philly.png

It seems my first comment in the NBA vs. NHL thread may be more on-the-nose than even I thought. Arena Football is in a dangerous spot - not nearly as big a "market share" in the North American sports scene as those two leagues, but just as heavily dependent on corporate support that's precarious at best in today's economy. If you were a corporation looking to cut back entertainment expenses and had to choose between dropping the local team in one of those leagues, or the NFL or MLB or even MLS, and dropping the local Arena Football team, which one would you drop?

CCSLC signature.png

There are all sorts of schedules floating around different sites and all sorts of rumo(u)rs about too. Chicago had half of its schedule up at one point.

The basic consensus is that the delay is due to the fact that the deal with Platinum is still in the air and, apparently, due to the fact that they are finding out about some nasty little secrets (what, exactly, I'm not sure) that even the teams didn't know about.

Whoever is making the decisions is making Gary Bettman look like... well, no, he's still an idiot too... but still.

Well Streeter is right about one thing, there is a rumor out they may "suspend operations" for 2009, but right now it's just a rumor. Brian is right there are some teams in the league that are having second thoughts about the single entity thanks to Plantinum. But lets just say why is not very well at the moment. Plus don't they have an interim commissioner at the moment? Have they even hired a new one yet?

I've said this over on ArenaFan, but I think the best thing to do may be to shut the league down for one year so that they can bring in a commissioner (who, y'know, isn't John Elway) and get the league straightened out and put down some long term plan. Best case scenario -- it rejuvenates the league. Worst case -- it dies.

philly.png

I've also heard, San Jose, Tampa Bay and Orlando may bow out as well.

Dang man, that would suck. I enjoy Storm games. I really hope they can do the right thing and save the AFL.

Yeah... as I mentioned over on AF, I don't think any of the remaining fanbases are immune from seeing what happened to New Orleans happen to them. I wouldn't be surprised at this point if the Soul happen to disappear too, but... we'll see.

philly.png

Dang man, that would suck. I enjoy Storm games. I really hope they can do the right thing and save the AFL.

Yeah... as I mentioned over on AF, I don't think any of the remaining fanbases are immune from seeing what happened to New Orleans happen to them. I wouldn't be surprised at this point if the Soul happen to disappear too, but... we'll see.

I've heard anything from teams dropping out and starting a new rival league to suspending operations to just teams dropping out in general and going by the wayside. But if they do close up for the season, I just hope they do straighten things up. Get a new commissioner, possibly some new suitors for expansion, and if they do go expansion, get some owners who are commited. I've even heard of Daniel Snyder trying to get his team started for the 2009 season, but that right there is a rumor.

Now on the fantasy standpoint, that would be a bummer for our teams who for the last 4 soon and hopefully 5 years have busted our butts to get a competitive team.

Now on the fantasy standpoint, that would be a bummer for our teams who for the last 4 soon and hopefully 5 years have busted our butts to get a competitive team.

Says the proud owner of a shiny new expansion team. ^_^

I'm probably going to open up a thread regarding what we're going to do should the league not play this season, and I'm going to try and talk to Dennis tonight so that we can come up with a contingency plan, assuming he and the WLAF are interested.

We'll see what happens, right?

philly.png

Says the proud owner of a shiny new expansion team. ^_^

I'm probably going to open up a thread regarding what we're going to do should the league not play this season, and I'm going to try and talk to Dennis tonight so that we can come up with a contingency plan, assuming he and the WLAF are interested.

We'll see what happens, right?

true but I have been playing for four years so there :P.

I heard about Orlando maybe dropping out months ago, but I had forgotten about it.

Seems like a real calamity right now, hope they get things straightened out.

Some Brigade fans claim they hear if the season goes through as planned that the team will have some big signings.....

We'll see.

I've heard anything from teams dropping out and starting a new rival league to suspending operations to just teams dropping out in general and going by the wayside. But if they do close up for the season, I just hope they do straighten things up. Get a new commissioner, possibly some new suitors for expansion, and if they do go expansion, get some owners who are commited. I've even heard of Daniel Snyder trying to get his team started for the 2009 season, but that right there is a rumor.

Would this happen to be the af2 by any chance? :P

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'm already deciding who my AF2 team is. Leaning towards somewhere close to here or near the midwest. Probably Toledo

I'm already deciding who my AF2 team is. Leaning towards somewhere close to here or near the midwest. Probably Toledo

Plenty of room on the Pionners badwagon, my friend.

Until they lose in the playoffs.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

haha

I've thought of WBS, but Toledo or Tennessee Valley as my choices, since I don't want to end up as a wagoner, I went with Toledo.

Ya, you're right, but at least we'll make it, so there is a bright side.

Ya, you're right, but at least we'll make it, so there is a bright side.

Last year was supposed to instill a false sense of security in the rest of the league. You are on notice. The Pirates will be back. Yarr!

Today, we are all otaku.

Archived