Super-Hero Hockey Jerseys (or sweaters for you purists)

B-Rich

Like many of us on the board, I am not only a sports uni and logo geek, but also a (former) comic book collector and super-hero geek. I really think the two interests are very similar: costume design = uni design; similar inspiration for team names = inspiration for super-hero names, etc.

That in mind, I remember some time ago seeing a Superman hockey jersey. It was pretty basic, using the crest and the more or less the same basic colors in the Superman costume. A little googling, and voila! I had it (and to boot, a Batman hockey jersey, too):

superjersey.jpgpdJRBTM0001.jpg

Pretty neat, but the jerseys got me thinking. Other than the slapping on the crests and using the same colors, these were merely generic hockey jerseys... I started to think about striping patterns, shoulder yokes and such for hockey jerseys, as well as jersey crests. Then I started to think about typical elements of super-hero costumes-- chest crests or logos-- alternate color belts and sometimes alternate color "trunks", alternate color gloves, alternate color capes.... In my mind, I put forth a formula for transforming a superhero costume into a hockey jersey:

-- Base color of chest material is base hockey jersey color:

-- Glove color becomes end-of-sleeve stripe color

-- If there is a cape, it becomes an alternating shoulder yoke color

-- If the cape "connects" in front, the collar is the same as the shoulder yoke. If not, it is the same as the main jersey material.

-- Belt color becomes waist stripe color. If there is an alternating trunk color, that becomes the bottom-most waist stripe color.

-- If the costume had no sleeves, the sleeve color is a continuation of the main color.

I began to mentally apply that in my mind, then after catching up on a lot of work at the office, goofed around with a hockey jersey template I found on these boards some time ago, and came up with eight interpretations.

The first is the following re-interpretations of the two seen above:

SUPERBAT.PNG

Pretty straightforward. Superman's lack of sleeve stripes makes it look rather plain. I used the Batman crest with the yellow oval as it looks better as a hockey jersey, and put a curve effect on the sleeve strip to represent Batman's pointed gloves....

Next: The Captains.

It is what it is.

Here are the interpretations of the two Captains, Captain Marvel (Shazam!) and Captain America

CAPTAINS.PNG

Captain America is interesting; with no cape, no shoulder yoke, one would think it maight be boring, but the striping makes it very interesting. Captain Marvel, I think, is my favorite of the bunch; the red and gold stand out well, the lightning bolt is an iconic crest, and the shoulder yoke with the "embroidered" nature of his cape just adds a nice touch.

The next two I call (in honor of Edna Mode) NO CAPES:

NOCAPES.PNG

I always thought that the Spider-Man costume would convert well into a hockey jersey; after actually putting it together, I'm not so sure. The plain crest seems to get lost in the webbing. All in all, it's not what I thought.... The "classic" Wolverine is more interesting, esepecially with the triangular striping effects, but without anything as a chest crest I'm not sure it works as a hockey jersey....

The final two have capes, but no "traditional" crests:

ODDCAPES.PNG

The Martian Manhunter I kind of like-- if anything for its wild color scheme. Unfortunately the sleeves seem a little plain.... But the last one, the Mighty Thor, looks visually stunning in a very unusual way-- though not a "traditional" hockey look, to me somehow it could work. Especially if the hockey players wearing the jerseys also wore silver helmets (and maybe blue pants).. :P

Your thoughts?

It is what it is.

Okay.

First of all, thanks for the tip on .png. Being primarily a writer of documents and not a graphic artist, I was not even aware I could convert, save and edit using that extension, but it does come out MUCH clearer. I have redone the originals in .png.

Second, good catch on chuckymack's part re: the direction of Captain Marvel's lightning bolt. Big stickler for detail, but correct. I fixed that.

Third, as per twins8791 and chuckymack's requests, here are the following:

The Flash and Blue Beetle:

DC.PNG

The Flash's lightning bolts are a pain to do. I used the more recent "2 bolt" belt line rather than the pure silver age continuous one. Thought it would look better. The overall look is a little plain, however. The Blue Beetle has a really neat look to it; I used the late 80s Justice League interpretation, obviously. The 2 tone blue and black accents looks sharp. I could have added something yellow in the belt, but I'm trying to stick with the "formula", which doesn't allow for such things.

Also: The Green Lanterns (both Silver and Gold Age):

LANTERNS.PNG

Pretty neat. Not enough stripes for my taste on the silver age, but a bold color scheme for a hockey sweater.... The gold age interpretation was more of a problem. There have been so many interpretations of that costume, but I went with the cape actually being BLACK (it's sometimes shown as purple, or blue) and assumed there was no gold cord or gold "buttons" clasping the cape as some later interpretations were shown.... all in all, the green/red/black with a spot of yellow is a nice combo... looks like an old time hockey sweater.

It is what it is.

Okay.

First of all, thanks for the tip on .png. Being primarily a writer of documents and not a graphic artisit, I was not even aware I could convert, save and edit using that extension, but it does come out MUCH clearer. I have redone the originals in .png.

Second, good catch on chuckymack's part re: the direction of Captain Marvel's lightning bolt. Big stickler for detail, but correct. I fixed that.

Third, as per twins8791 and chuckymack's requests, here are the following:

The Flash and Blue Beetle:

DC.PNG

The Flash's lightning bolts are a pain to do. I used the more recent "2 bolt" belt line rather than the pure silver age continuous one. Thought it would look better. The overall look is a little plain, however. The Blue Beetle has a really neat look to it; I used the late 80s Justice League interpretation, obviously. The 2 tone blue and black accents looks sharp. I could have added something yellow in the belt, but I'm trying to stick with the "formula", which doesn't allow for such things.

Also: The Green Lanterns (both Silver and Gold Age):

LANTERNS.PNG

Pretty neat. Not enough stripes for my taste on the silver age, but a bold color scheme for a hockey sweater.... The gold age interpretation was more of a problem. There have been so many interpretations of that costume, but I went with the cape actually being BLACK (it's sometimes shown as purple, or blue) and assumed there was no gold cord or gold "buttons" clasping the cape as some later interpretations were shown.... all in all, the green/red/black with a spot of yellow is a nice combo... looks like an old time hockey sweater.

The Flash one is a little plain, but it is still awesome. Nice work.

Twins.pngGoldenGophers.png

This is neat. I'm actually right now in the process of repainting my foosball table guys in super hero costumes. I might crib some of these ideas.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived