2009 MLB Season Thread

Gary

Former Mets Closer, Billy Wagner, placed on waivers.

wrong, he is going to be activated by the mets tomorrow or friday.

Actually, all kinds of players get placed on waivers during the month of August. It's really not a big deal at all.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, all kinds of players get placed on waivers during the month of August. It's really not a big deal at all.

Exactly. It's not so much the Mets are trying to get of him, but more to see if there's any interest in him from other teams. And if he does clear waivers, he's then primed to be traded to a contender....

Woohoo, way to go (G)Nats! I figured they'd have to move to the $20MM range to sign him. Based on all the "expert" opinion, I don't think this was as ridiculous as some people are going to try make it sound.

With all the talk about Strasburg, it was overlooked that the number 2 and 3 picks went down to the wire, too. Did they sign? They were Boras clients as well.

EDIT: Here's the story. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4403920

Win-win situation for both Strasburg and the Nationals. I'm ready to get my ticket!

Which is exactly why top draft picks do deserve some money before they accumulate any actual "stats".

Wait till next year Jigga.

Man, this is some BULL :censored:! They could have almost made his signing bonus back by pitching him a few times this season.

If you want him to be this stud pitcher you foresee, you might want to be patient with his development.

Fair enough, champ. I guess I can curb my enthusiasm for a few months. I just wanted to see 102. I didn't mean to go all Ashton Kutcher on that ass...

Was all in your best interest, Jigga! I didn't want you to be that guy who wants the young gun to come up ASAP and get pissed off when he fizzles out of existence :P

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Exactly. It's not so much the Mets are trying to get of him, but more to see if there's any interest in him from other teams. And if he does clear waivers, he's then primed to be traded to a contender....

He'll be activated on Friday and since it wasn't that important, I didn't provide a source.

Rizzo is now permanent GM of the Nats.

Yay...

Let's just hope he's better than Bowden. I think there should probably be a moratorium on signing any former Reds for a couple of years, too. :P

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

He'll be activated on Friday and since it wasn't that important, I didn't provide a source.

ESPN Radio dude just said the Mets ARE looking to trade Billy Wags instead of activating him.

ZOMG IDK WTF Omar iz doin da Metz need sum bullpin help Y dey givin up on da seezin fire Omar

ESPN Radio dude just said the Mets ARE looking to trade Billy Wags instead of activating him.

ZOMG IDK WTF Omar iz doin da Metz need sum bullpin help Y dey givin up on da seezin fire Omar

mayb he brngn moor hispanicks prspcts on da teem cuz hees hispanick 2!!!!111 itz raciss!!11 :P

Yea, I've actually heard that almost every player gets placed on waivers during August, except for untouchable players (young cheap stars). Teams don't wont to miss a potential opportunity to make a great trade.

Joe Nathan passed thorugh waivers last year and he is a whole lot better than Billy Wagner. It really isn't that big a deal. I want to say the Twins passed everybody thorugh waivers last year besides Mauer and Morneau.

It's a big deal if you believe what I heard on the radio...about Billy Wags.

Otherwise, you're completely right.

Even if someone is claimed off waivers, the team can pull him back.

The Phillies GM (I think it was Gillick, but it may have been Wade) said a few years ago that after the deadline, they'd put nearly all of their players through waivers, just in case.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

strasburg-1.jpg

:welcome: to DC Strasburg :woot:

I hate to rain on the parade but I've heard that unless Strasburg straightens out his poor pitching mechanics he won't last 4 years in pro ball. (now I am running to hide from Jigga.)

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

The Nationals charged $1.00 for walk-up tix to see Strasburg put on a jersey and a cap. That's gonna put a nice little dent in that signing bonus. :P

He's gonna start off in the Florida Instructional League then head to the Arizona Fall League. However the club is non-committal about whether they will bring him up to the bigs in 2010. As long as they give me a couple days notice, I'll be okay. :)

From Rotoworld.com

Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com has confirmed that the Red Sox indeed claimed Billy Wagner off waivers Friday.

As Rosenthal reports, the Mets now have three options: They can work out a trade with the Red Sox by 1 p.m. ET on Tuesday, give him to Boston straight up, or pull him back off waivers and hang onto him for the rest of the year. A trade makes the most sense. We'll keep you updated on any progress.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Joe Nathan passed thorugh waivers last year and he is a whole lot better than Billy Wagner. It really isn't that big a deal. I want to say the Twins passed everybody thorugh waivers last year besides Mauer and Morneau.

It's a big deal if you believe what I heard on the radio...about Billy Wags.

Otherwise, you're completely right.

Even if someone is claimed off waivers, the team can pull him back.

So it's almost a big deal now :P

He's gonna start off in the Florida Instructional League then head to the Arizona Fall League. However the club is non-committal about whether they will bring him up to the bigs in 2010. As long as they give me a couple days notice, I'll be okay. :)

I'm sure the Nats will make it well known when they bring up Strausburg. I would not be surprised if they handle it similar to how the Orioles did with Wieters. Hold him back until late May, so they get the extra year of eligibility, then announce his debut for an otherwise "unexciting" opponent. I'm sure they'll milk his debut for all its worth.

Archived