Manchester United asks Nike to remake 1909 kit

roxfan00

Manchester United 09/10 kit - a Historic 1909 remake E-mail

Sunday, 18 January 2009

In honour of a player who helped them win their first major trophy, Manchester United will play in remake of the historic kit from 1909 next 09/10 season.

Players from United will wear home shirts, which feature a large white V-shape sash down the front.

The kit is based upon a 100-year-old design supplied by one of the club's own players, Billy Meredith, before the 1909 FA Cup Final. (As a sideline Meredith ran a sports shop and became the club's kit supplier. For the Wembley final with Bristol City, both sides had to change from their usual red shirts.)

Billy Meredith's trademark was a toothpick he chewed while playing; he believed it assisted his concentration. He originally used chewing tobacco, however the cleaners refused to wash the spit off his shirts!

United's kit manufacturer Nike have been asked to rework Meredith's shirt - using high-tech materials rather than heavyweight cotton and with a white sash on a red shirt instead of 1909's red-on-white.

A Man Utd insider said: "The club felt bringing back this old kit was the perfect way for United to mark 100 years of success."

manchester-united-1909-nike-09-10-kit.jpg

Manchester United

"Mr. President, call in the National Guard! Send as many men as you can spare! Because we are killing the Patriots! They need emergency help!" - Shannon Sharpe

I love throwbacks, but I have a feeling that these are going to look fugly. Let's hope not.

Does anyone have a better quality image of that club crest? I don't recognize it, though it may just be because of the picture quality.

EDIT: Nevermind. I found it.

1269_m.jpg

Lancashire Rose I'm guessing?

Untitled-1-1.gif

Sig by TalktoChuck

Looks like a Red Rose - ie. the symbol of Lancashire, the ceremonial county Manchester is in. I don't know how regularly clubs wore crests that far back - it may have been a Cup Final tradition (MAn City have always worn the City of Manchester's coat of Arms on Cup final shirts, and United did at the 1968 European Cup final).

hey mero, any relation to this Billy Meredith cat? ;)

far as the merits of what ManUre's doing, the fact that the FSC writer's calling the V a sash annoys me. you only need to look at mero's sig to see what a sash looks like. back on topic, well, I actually can't wait to see it, sounds like it'll look alright.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

So to commemorate a White jersey with Red vee, they're going to wear a Red jersey with White vee?

It's just strange as far as I can see.

Why not use the White one as their Away strip?

Why use the Red one at all?

This, times an awful lot.

That's some good news. However, I'm a bit suprised they go throwback again, since they went retro with their current international kit...Anyways, great idea. Can't wait to hold this shirt in my hands :D

hey mero, any relation to this Billy Meredith cat? ;)

far as the merits of what ManUre's doing, the fact that the FSC writer's calling the V a sash annoys me. you only need to look at mero's sig to see what a sash looks like. back on topic, well, I actually can't wait to see it, sounds like it'll look alright.

It's always been a family thing that we were.

But it's a pretty distant relation.

OUr understanding is that my great great great grandfather was his grandfather.

However, I have never verified this.

So it's not like we have Christmas' together.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

Will the Corporate Logo (AIG, or whoever it is next year.) be a smaller patch put somewhere on the jersey? The concept of a corporate logo appearing on the jersey didn't happen until the 70's when Liverpool put the Crown Paints logo on their jerseys.

George Ashburn - My Website

yuku-sp-me-roll.gifyuku-jd-shake.gif

Archived