Colors - NFL uniform book

Blue Falcon

The images on the top right were all used in the uniform history/evolution section of the book "The First 50 Years." I definitely have to search my mom's house one of these days to see if I can find it. There were several others used as well.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

True, but I'm pretty sure that he's not using all-new photographs either. So I don't hold the re-use of graphics against him.

The book hasn't received much coverage yet because it hasn't streeted, and will only be available through very limited outlets. Why? It's not like Amazon doesn't handle self-published titles.

Personally, I don't know enough about it to order it yet. I'm hopeful but wary.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I recently received my copy. Though I am always happy when ANY book on the topic of uniforms is published, I have to say this one is pretty disappointing. I guess part of it is my own level of expectation, as I was hoping for a reference-type book, which this is most certainly not.

There are fairly rudimentary descriptions of the uni history for each team, and a few decent photos, but overall just not what I was hoping for. Plus, each team is covered by a different writer, so there's not much continuity, and I question some of the accuracy. For example the writer of the Raiders history describes their early colors as black and brown rather than black and gold. Oh well... I guess the door is still open for me to create the definitive history of NFL togs...

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

I agree completely... I'd say to me it was worth it just for the nice color photos... quite a few I'd never seen before. But it is in no way consistant, and absolutely NOT a reference book. Some writers tried to get a verbal overview of the history of the team they were covering, while others just told a "cute" uniform story. And, most disappointing, the guy writing about rthe Vikings hates purple pants!! <_<

That's a shame. Didn't expect a very comprehensive look, though; 208 pp is a fairly slim volume - far too thin to examine 90 total years of history for up to 32 teams in any depth, especially if they're using full-page images.

How much of the photo content is new/uncovered and how much of it is recycled (like the 1990s line drawings on the back cover)? $35 is a lot to pay, unless there are some new pictures.

Wait - writers plural? Jim Finks didn't write the whole thing?

That's a shame. Didn't expect a very comprehensive look, though; 208 pp is a fairly slim volume - far too thin to examine 90 total years of history for up to 32 teams in any depth, especially if they're using full-page images.

How much of the photo content is new/uncovered and how much of it is recycled (like the 1990s line drawings on the back cover)? $35 is a lot to pay, unless there are some new pictures.

Wait - writers plural? Jim Finks didn't write the whole thing?

nope... the individual team sections were farmed out to writers who, I guess, were considered "insiders".

Thanks to this link, I picked up the book as well (online so I couldn't browse). I liked the book, but being a hardcore uni guy, I was disappointed as well. The book contains little pictures of actual uniforms, but rather describes them. If I haven't seen older pictures, the descriptions wouldn't be as good to me. For instance, there are a few Ravens pics of the unis. It has the home, road, and black sets. It goes on to describe them changing the shoulder and helmet logos. I guess I was thinking I would see this is what they looked like then...now, variations, etc.

KISSwall09.jpg

Oh, great. Didn't mention that anywhere on the Helmet Hut site. Now I'm really glad I didn't order one. Sorry you had to be the guinea pig, dark.

Well, it sounds like I wasn't the only one. Yes, $36 was a little steep, but I suppose I've paid more than that for stupider stuff...

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

If it's of any solace to you guys, I am working HARD to help get the FUPP resurrected with the creator.

I did submit a text history of the 1933-1958 unis to the Uniwatchblog:

http://www.uniwatchblog.com/pro-football-u...istory-project/

and the Pro Football Researchers Assn:

http://www.profootballresearchers.org/uniforms_1930NFL.htm

I do know that many revisions will also be needed to the site as it stands currently (1959-2003), but this is just to let you know that we are ON IT.

If it's of any solace to you guys, I am working HARD to help get the FUPP resurrected with the creator.

I did submit a text history of the 1933-1958 unis to the Uniwatchblog:

http://www.uniwatchblog.com/pro-football-u...istory-project/

and the Pro Football Researchers Assn:

http://www.profootballresearchers.org/uniforms_1930NFL.htm

I do know that many revisions will also be needed to the site as it stands currently (1959-2003), but this is just to let you know that we are ON IT.

Excellent news! Count me in for any research help.

Archived