My Take on the Cincinnati Reds

siegel0572

So for my first baseball concept I decided to go with the team I grew up watching and the team I used to work for..the Cincinnati Reds. For my concept I went way back in Reds history. I combined the script from the 1800's, when they wore Old English style lettering with some subtle navy trim around just the letters and numbers like they wore from the 30's to the 60's, and no names on any of the jerseys. All of these uniforms would be worn with red shoes like they wore from the 80's into the 90's. I did like the vest style uniforms the Reds used to wear, but was not really fond of the pinstripes, so I did an alternate vest for Sunday games with a white top hat and a 60's era Mr. Redlegs logo. I look foreward to seeing the boards responses to this look. The players used are Johnny Cueto (47), Brandon Phillips (4), Joey Votto (19), and Jay Bruce (32).

RedsHomeUniform.png

RedsRoadUniform.png

RedsAlternateUniform.png

RedsBPUniform.png

roqymbou.pngfx32axau.png

I don't think these will be very popular here, but I think these are bad***. I love the old english text and the cap, I would buy a hat like that for sure. Great job man, can't really think of anything I'd change, other then I'm not a fan of jerseys with no names, but that's just me. good job man.

bullssig.png

This is a good start, but the number font should be changed. I think a block font would look nice. The current number font says "AND1 Mixtape Tour" to me. I like your idea, Mr. Redlegs's face, but I don't like the vest jersey that much. Mr. Redlegs would look great as a shoulder patch.

This is out of left field, and I've been pretty hard on the last Reds concept or two, but you know what, I kinda like this. The Old English C is a great cap monogram, and it's a shame that there's nowhere to put it in the majors, because the wishbone C is so hard to supplant. Old English is tough to do, because you can't arch it or do other such treatments without making it unreadable. Additionally, you certainly can't use all caps, because then it looks like a prison tattoo. But "Cincinnati" straight across in Old English looks really neat. You nailed the "old-time" aesthetic a heck of a lot better than the real uniforms do. Kudos.

The navy blue trim is precedented, yes, but I worry that it's kinda close to the Cardinals and others. Might want to use white or black on the greys instead, since the rest of the trim on the greys is white, after all. As for hats, making a distinction between a white C on red and a lightly navy-trimmed white C on red might not be significant enough to warrant. I had to check and make sure they were different. As for the numbers, I worry that some of the strokes are a little too thin and too far removed from numbers we're used to reading on uniforms. Now while you certainly can't slap baseball block on there, you might have to putz around with the numerals a little bit so that they're a little clearer while still staying true to the concept. Maybe there are some other blackletter fonts out there that offer clearer numbers.

All in all, consider me impressed. I'll concede that I have a certain idea of how the Reds ought to look and I'm kinda dead-set on it (it's certainly nothing they've worn in the last 35 years), but this is a compelling and commendable alternative.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Old English C is a great cap monogram, and it's a shame that there's nowhere to put it in the majors, because the wishbone C is so hard to supplant.

It is a great cap monogram, but there's a better place to put it in the Majors - Chicago.

Amen.

Archived