NHL Trade Deadline

Linus

Leafs apparently acquire Olaf Kolzig, Jamie Heward, Andy Rogers and a 4th Round Pick from the Lightning for Richard Petiot.

I am familiar with only Kolzig and the 4th Rounder

And Edmonton gets Ales Kotalik from Buffalo for a 2nd Round pick.

Kolzig is done for the year.

The deal is a real headscratcher unless to clear up cap space in Tampa.

It's all cap.

The leafs get a free 4th round pick and only have to pay at least 500,000.

Its a free snatch by Burke. Smart if you think about it.

Once again Toronto Makes-Me-Laugh. $500 000 for a forth round pick? Is that was forth rounders go for these days? If the standings remain static and not factoring in the lottery Toronto just bought the 93rd pick for $500 000. They'll be paying more per year for a forth rounder if they sign whom ever that will be.

Come April 11th there will be a battle of the #2s, Alex Auld or Brian Elliot VS Martin Gerber or Justin Pogge. May the best goalie win. :P

Friar%20Canuck.jpgfriarcanuck.png

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Leafs apparently acquire Olaf Kolzig, Jamie Heward, Andy Rogers and a 4th Round Pick from the Lightning for Richard Petiot.

It's all cap.

Once again Toronto Makes-Me-Laugh. $500 000 for a forth round pick? Is that was forth rounders go for these days? If the standings remain static and not factoring in the lottery Toronto just bought the 93rd pick for $500 000. They'll be paying more per year for a forth rounder if they sign whom ever that will be.

Come April 11th there will be a battle of the #2s, Alex Auld or Brian Elliot VS Martin Gerber or Justin Pogge. May the best goalie win. :P

Because a late round pick never produced someone like Zetterberg, Datsyuk, etc. :rolleyes:

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

It's all cap.

What's wrong with one team trading its' own asset for another team's asset? Isn't this what the trading deadline is about? It's the same thing as trading any roster player for a draft pick. A 3rd/4th liner making ~$500,000 could easily be traded for a 4th round draft pick or later (hell, a 3rd liner in Dominic Moore managed to get the Leafs a 2nd rounder). Since the Lightning wants financial relief instead of roster players, then of course they would rather directly take the money. If the Leafs gave them a player worth $500,000, the Lightning may just buy them out to get the money anyways, so both teams just made the transaction simpler.

Wade-sig.png

Burke certainly making it clear that this is his team to build now, from the ground up. Leafs brought in a ton of draft picks today.

Unfortunately for Leaf fans he has a pretty bad draft record.

I'm disappointed the Canucks made no moves. I thought picking up Satan or Voros of waivers would of been solid moves; shore up the scoring with Satan and Voros would help with the checking line now that Kesler and Burrows are on the top lines. I was hopping for Pyatt to be traded but I knew there was no one that wanted that plug. And the Bowumester deal would of been a dream for what the Canucks for what we were reportedly gonna give up.

I've watched Aaron Voros all season. He wouldn't have helped anything, aside from maybe smoothing out the ice a little bit with his ass. He got off to a red-hot start on a line with Dubinsky and Zherdev and hasn't done anything since but fall down a lot, get beaten to pucks in the corners, and get punched in the face. The fact that Renney kept dressing him over Prucha was driving most Rangers fans up a damn wall.

msg-117798227822.jpg

It's all cap.

Because a late round pick never produced someone like Zetterberg, Datsyuk, etc. :rolleyes:

true, but they didn't cost that much. Also the odds of this 4th round pick becoming a Zetterberg or a Datsyuk are against you.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Burke certainly making it clear that this is his team to build now, from the ground up. Leafs brought in a ton of draft picks today.

I'm disappointed the Canucks made no moves. I thought picking up Satan or Voros of waivers would of been solid moves; shore up the scoring with Satan and Voros would help with the checking line now that Kesler and Burrows are on the top lines. I was hopping for Pyatt to be traded but I knew there was no one that wanted that plug. And the Bowumester deal would of been a dream for what the Canucks for what we were reportedly gonna give up.

I've watched Aaron Voros all season. He wouldn't have helped anything, aside from maybe smoothing out the ice a little bit with his ass. He got off to a red-hot start on a line with Dubinsky and Zherdev and hasn't done anything since but fall down a lot, get beaten to pucks in the corners, and get punched in the face. The fact that Renney kept dressing him over Prucha was driving most Rangers fans up a damn wall.

Well he's from Vancouver and seemed like a decent player when he was with the Wild last year. Having seen him play this year, I thought he would be a no risk pick who could add a little extra grit to the team. And during the playoffs the Canucks might not wanna dress Hordichuk every game and he would be a good fill in.

It's all cap.

What's wrong with one team trading its' own asset for another team's asset? Isn't this what the trading deadline is about? It's the same thing as trading any roster player for a draft pick. A 3rd/4th liner making ~$500,000 could easily be traded for a 4th round draft pick or later (hell, a 3rd liner in Dominic Moore managed to get the Leafs a 2nd rounder). Since the Lightning wants financial relief instead of roster players, then of course they would rather directly take the money. If the Leafs gave them a player worth $500,000, the Lightning may just buy them out to get the money anyways, so both teams just made the transaction simpler.

How is it simpler to give away a forth round pick than to just buy out the players yourself. Are the Lightning that strapped for cash.

Friar%20Canuck.jpgfriarcanuck.png

It's all cap.

How is it simpler to give away a forth round pick than to just buy out the players yourself. Are the Lightning that strapped for cash.

Money for pick. Done.

Player for pick. Buyout player. Done.

Logic tells me that the former requires less work, but that's just me.

Plus, no player needs to lose their job in this case.

Wade-sig.png

Hey, Id take that 4th rounder over Petiot any day. He'll never be an NHL'er with the Leafs imo and who knows, you never know what a prospect will turn out to be. Look at Daigle, he turned out to be a pile of :censored:, but then theres late rounders like Kabrle, Datsyuk, Zetterberg who turn out to be stars.

The draft is unpredictable beyond the first two round. Usually round 1 & 2 produce solid players, anywhere beyond that is up in the air based on your scouting and minor league systems.

beLEAF

Well he's from Vancouver and seemed like a decent player when he was with the Wild last year. Having seen him play this year, I thought he would be a no risk pick who could add a little extra grit to the team. And during the playoffs the Canucks might not wanna dress Hordichuk every game and he would be a good fill in.

I really hated wanting him off the team because he grew up a Rangers fan, gives a good interview, and seems like a nice, genuine person. But he just doesn't do much with his size.

msg-117798227822.jpg

It's all cap.

Revenue sharing. I believe the Lightning had to get below the mid-point to qualify for it. Toronto pounced on that and got a pick out of it.

Interesting trades, not sure how significant any of them will be. Calgary made a big splash, but I'm not sure Oli Jokinen is going to work out like say, Ron Francis to Pittsburgh back in the day.

As a Canuck fan, Chicago getting Pahlsonn is obnoxious, since Chi-Van is looking like a first round match up. Pahlsonn wad defensively smothering when the Canucks last played in the playoffs against Anaheim. He's the sort of guy I'd have like to see the Canucks pick up. Some kind of top nine forward would have been a good idea, though I guess Hansen can go on the 3rd line when he's healthy.

I really like what the Flames did--especially as a fan.

When I looked at which defensemen were supposedly available and I compared skill, skill & what the Flames would probably have to give up--I was hoping they'd get Leopold or Montador.

And Jokinen has been rumoured for a while now--so I was hoping it would eventually happen, without giving up too much.

I think it worked out quite well

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Archived