-Collar design

-Armhole design

-Red wordmark instead of white

-No more bevel effect on wordmarks and numbers

-No more silver

-New shorts design

-New number font

Why

-The collar design isn't too much different, but I believe the change up is for the better, especially since the strange design on the back of the collar is gone.

-Again, I didn't change this element a whole lot. However I did make the outline slightly thicker and in my opinion this makes for a better look.

-The red wordmark was implemented because the Hawks' colors are Navy, Red, and white primarily. Since red is the second color in the pallette, I thought that giving it a more prominent role would be a good idea.

-I got rid of the bevel effect because I feel that it is too trendy and takes away from the wordmark rather than adding anything to it. It clutters it up and makes it less legible.

-I got rid of the silver for essentially the same reason as I got rid of the beveling. I feel that it doesn't really add anything. Since the Hawks do not have a long history of having it in their scheme, I figured it was expendable.

-I changed the shorts design because I believe their current design is goofy and looks better suited for something you would see being sold at Kohl's than something on an NBA court.

-I changed the number font, because their current one IMO is just not good. I know their goal is for it to match the wordmark font, but it didn't come out well and I don't like how certain numbers look. I replaced it with a block font because it still matches the wordmark somewhat.

What has stayed the same

-Color scheme for the most part

-Wordmark

-Presence of current alternate logo

Why:

-The color scheme stays the same because I like how it matches the Braves and sort of matches the Thrashers. Overall I believe red white and blue is a sharp color scheme whether it is played out or not.

-IMO their wordmarks are great. If I were not a Celtics fan I would love to wear a shirt with them on it.

-I kept the alternate, because I believe it is a great logo. Whether or not it is intentional, I love that there is a hidden "a".

]I would appreciate some constructive criticism on this. Thank you in advance.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, I think the Hawks have one of the best unis in the NBA and I don't think you should have changed it. I don't like the design you used because it seems to end to abruptly I think it should continue throughout the rest of the shorts and the jersey, it just looks really incomplete.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

You didn't get rid of the silver on the beak of the logo on the jerseys.

The silver in the logo is better, though. The silver in their current unis is a little unnecessary, but if you found a way to implement it, it might look good.

Really, I don't like these at all, sorry. Number font is boring, and it doesn't match the wordmark at all. The underarm stripe is too small to be noticed and awkwardly, abruptly ends. Same with the pants design. Too blocky, really awkward endings. Also why does the Atlanta wordmark not match at all? The Hawks wordmark does match the font. The Atlanta one looks out of place.

This is a big downgrade in my mind. They look better with a modern design, something that matches the wordmark.

Personally, I think the Hawks have one of the best unis in the NBA and I don't think you should have changed it. I don't like the design you used because it seems to end to abruptly I think it should continue throughout the rest of the shorts and the jersey, it just looks really incomplete.

Would it help if I extended the design on the shorts to the top and continued the red part under the armholes around to the same point on the back?

You didn't get rid of the silver on the beak of the logo on the jerseys.

The silver in the logo is better, though. The silver in their current unis is a little unnecessary, but if you found a way to implement it, it might look good.

Really, I don't like these at all, sorry. Number font is boring, and it doesn't match the wordmark at all. The underarm stripe is too small to be noticed and awkwardly, abruptly ends. Same with the pants design. Too blocky, really awkward endings. Also why does the Atlanta wordmark not match at all? The Hawks wordmark does match the font. The Atlanta one looks out of place.

This is a big downgrade in my mind. They look better with a modern design, something that matches the wordmark.

Would it help if I extended the design on the shorts to the top and continued the red part under the armholes around to the same point on the back?

I'm not sure what you mean about the wordmarks. Could you please explain that more clearly?

Does anyone have any suggestions about what I should do about the shorts other than extending the striping up to the top which I will try?

Any other suggestions that will help improve the concept will be greatly appreciated as well!

Thanks in advance for helping out.

EDIT: I'm currently working on a revision with a) a more "swooshy" design, more silver, and an adjusted number font. What do you think of these ideas?

-Brian

UPDATE

AtlantaHawksHomeyUniform2-1.png

AtlantaHawksAwayUniform2.png

Logo with silver added in again:

ATLHAWKSLOGO.png

What has changed since last time:

-Collar: More swooshy/tapered-y and incorporates silver

-Armhole striping: incorporated silver there too

-Wordmark on away jersey. I made it red, because it did look stupid

-Shorts design. I went with something more dynamic and modernish.

The reason I didn't change the numbers is because I do not have the Atlanta Hawks' numbers. If someone could give me a clear graphic of them that would be incredible.

I would still appreciate constructive criticism if you would be so kind.

The incredible design of the current uniforms has eased my pain of the Hawks rebranding. The only the way I believe the current design can be improved is if black, yellow, and red is incorporated into it somehow.

I disagree. I love their current color scheme and I wouldn't change it back to the old. I do like that you changed the shorst, that was the biggest problem with your first set IMO. I don't like that you changed "ATLANTA" back to white. This is definately looking better, especially if you added their current numbers.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

Better. Still not there. I don't really like that the shorts have red and silver stripes that look pretty good (shorts are my favorite part) but then the tops just have one straight stripe, it's a little boring compared to the shorts. Right now it's bottom-heavy and looks like a SOD design, but not necessarily a great SOD design.

I don't know how many basketball concepts you have done but some elements are fundamentally wrong. First, the shorts design needs to continue onto the waistband. Otherwise you have a large gap between jersey and pants when it is tucked in. On that subject the red downward-tapering shorts stripe (on the homes) looks sorta weird the way it is now, try continuing it on the jerseys. Secondly on the front and back view, jerseys and pants, you have failed to add the side detail. It is laid flat, so you would easily be able to see the paneling on the side. But, on the side view for the tops for example, the stripe just appears out of nowhere.

Final Update (probably)

HawksHomeFinal-1.png

HawksAway2Final-2.png

What has changed:

I extended the striping all the way to the top of the shorts as elliot told me to.

I extended the striping pattern a little bit onto the bottom of the jerseys just for some continuity. I couldn't think of a better way to do it while sticking with this shorts design.

Final Update (probably)

HawksHomeFinal-1.png

HawksAway2Final-2.png

What has changed:

I extended the striping all the way to the top of the shorts as elliot told me to.

I extended the striping pattern a little bit onto the bottom of the jerseys just for some continuity. I couldn't think of a better way to do it while sticking with this shorts design.

The little bit of the "dash" extended onto the jersey would not be seen. When tucked in it would not be visible. You need to either keep on just the shorts, or bringing farther up on the jersey, like maybe halfway or so up the main stripe.

It's coming along. I really love their current set way too much, so I may have a biased opinion, but as a stand alone concept, it is appealing. I don't think the plain looking champion numbers look good with the wordmarks. Either keep their current numerals, or find another font that would work with the lettering. And if you're going to have a silver dash on the shorts, you really should incorporate silver into the rest of the set. I appears way too out of place when you see a complete lack of silver anywhere else.

McCall, do you think adding a thin silver outline between the red outline and the blue in the wordmark and numerals would be enough to tie it in? Also, I agree with the assertion that the font looks bad. I've seen you do concepts involving the Brothers font and modified versions of it. Would it be possible for you to get me an image of just the numbers in black and white?

I like that updated wordmark a lot. It adds a little, well, for lack of a better word, pop. A little goes a long way. Stick some silver in the road wordmark, and you're set. Also, I agree with Mccall in that you should extend the little bit of striping should extend further up on the jersey. That would add consistency and flair. Nice work.

scotland_fifasig.png

This is what I was thinking of as a way to add silver into the wordmark. What do you guys think of it?

I just wanted to gauge your opinion of it before I go through with it on the uniform template.

HawksWordmarkSilverFinal.png

Maybe just a tad thicker and thin the red just a bit. Not a lot, though. Still leave the red thicker than the silver, just expand/reduce do them both a little.

But that does look better.

UPDATE

HawksHome2-1.png

HawksAway22.png

What has changed:

Added silver outline to Home and Away wordmarks.

Extended stripe on the uniforms

Constructive criticism i will still be appreciated. Thank you.

-Brian

EDIT: Here's the court I designed for the Hawks:

HawksCourt.png

Archived