Domestic Soccer 2009-10

BrySmalls

Toronto FC has won the Voyageurs Cup for the 2nd year in a row, after Montreal and Vanouver drew 1-1 last night. That means Toronto FC has earned the Canadian spot in the Champions League.

Toronto FC is now going to play Motagua of Honduras.

Better start saving now :grin:

yet still they have to play 1 more game.

The Nutrilite Championship needs to be straightened out, this tournament is great for Canadian soccer but they really need to find a way to avoid these meaningless games. Last year the game was meaningless to Montreal and they played academy kids mostly and TFC destroyed them 6-1. I'm a TFC supporter and I was happy, but there was no way that was fair.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Toronto FC has won the Voyageurs Cup for the 2nd year in a row, after Montreal and Vanouver drew 1-1 last night. That means Toronto FC has earned the Canadian spot in the Champions League.

The Nutrilite Championship needs to be straightened out, this tournament is great for Canadian soccer but they really need to find a way to avoid these meaningless games. Last year the game was meaningless to Montreal and they played academy kids mostly and TFC destroyed them 6-1. I'm a TFC supporter and I was happy, but there was no way that was fair.

Well heads up to the CSA we need more teams in Canada. Edmonton is fine but not if you live in Calgary.

Edmonton could play in the Nutrilite Championship next season correct?

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Well heads up to the CSA we need more teams in Canada. Edmonton is fine but not if you live in Calgary.

I'd assume next year Edmonton will get an entry.

This is the best way to have the tournament with only 3 teams. It's much more fair to have a round robin with 3 teams than just a regular knockout format, with one team given a bye into the Finals. Next year, maybe we can have a knockout tournament, with 2-legged semi-finals and then either a 2-legged final, or hopefully a Final at a neutral or at least a predetermined site.

1zqy8ok.gif

DCU beats AC Milan 3-2! I know Milan didnt care and trotted out a mostly reserve lineup, but DCU came out with a mostly reserve lineup in the 2nd half and lost Barklage to a knee injury so they played most of the 2nd half with 10 men and still pulled it out. Gutsy win by United.

Seeing Pontius returning to action with a goal and an assist was a surprise and this article made me smile.

St. Louis Athletica have become the second WPS club to fold. This portion of the article stood out:

Cooper believes the source of the problem resides in the investors, who failed to live up to the promise.

"The investors who defaulted on a contract to fund Athletica through this season and beyond broke a promise to a league, team, players and a community, and that is what is most troubling about today’s development," said Cooper. "I am grateful for everyone’s support of Athletica and am particularly appreciative of our players who represented the sport and our community with such class and spirit.”

Cooper was to be the sole owner of Athletica. However, he brought on those investors without bringing it to the attention of the WPS.

Meanwhile, Cooper will now direct his focus on AC St. Louis, hoping to keep the NASL team afloat.

“Despite the disappointing outcome with Saint Louis Athletica, we continue to work hard on securing the long-term future of AC St. Louis,” Cooper said.

Likewise, the WPS will move on from this.

I have to admit now how wrong I was about St. Louis deserving an MLS bid... or rather that there was a feasible bid around in St. Louis. Attendance has just been okay for both the Athletica and AC St. Louis, but I think that's due to the fact that it's not top tier men's soccer, so I don't view it as an indictment of the St. Louis sports, and specifically soccer, fan, but there's just no wealthy St. Louisians willing to take the risk apparently.

Cooper had sold majority interest in both teams to two Europeans, and they just pulled out, which has now doomed Athletica and put AC St. Louis on shaky ground. It SEEMS that US Soccer might be bailing out AC St. Louis at this point in time, but sooner or later they'll have to find a source of money to keep going.

It really sucks, because this city is full of great soccer fans and history, but if our leaders (by title and wealth) can't and/or don't want to help in securing a stable franchise, there's nothing much that can be done.

Fake Sigi has what reads to me as a good take on the situation.

AC St. Louis comes to Minnesota on Saturday. This should be fun.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

There's probably a good deal of right in that situation, but the sexism? Eh. There's a general and unconscious sexism in sports entertainment, period. That's where the hype is. It's where the dollars are. It's where the attention is.

Athletica may have been a safer bet to maintain operating costs, but there's no doubt that AC St. Louis has a higher ceiling for money and stature. While I doubt Cooper intentionally killed off Athletica, I think Fake Sigi has a good point with the comment that once he got his Men's Team, a team that could eventually make it's way to the MLS (his ultimate goal), Athletica mattered less. But I don't think that's inherently sexist or even wrong. Jeff Cooper's goal is to get an MLS team in St. Louis. All these other things are stepping stones to get there. It sucks that the money doesn't exist to keep Athletica around (I'm quite sure if it did, he would), but I don't see how it becomes an indictment of his character.

I'm bummed, though. Either way it's a mark against soccer in St. Louis and that sucks.

I'd assume next year Edmonton will get an entry.

This is the best way to have the tournament with only 3 teams. It's much more fair to have a round robin with 3 teams than just a regular knockout format, with one team given a bye into the Finals. Next year, maybe we can have a knockout tournament, with 2-legged semi-finals and then either a 2-legged final, or hopefully a Final at a neutral or at least a predetermined site.

I think it's all but official that Edmonton will be the 4th team in this tourney next year.

I can't decide what the best idea is for fixing this tourney. The truth the last thing needed is more games to fit in a season that already includes MLS or USSF (or whatever D-2 league) and then you get players leaving for national friendlies. My point being that we don't need to wear our players out too much. So would a ranking based system where last year's #1 plays #4 and do a home/home aggregate then a 1 off championship game? Maybe a east/west with the winner of east playing west winner for the Voyageur's cup?

I don't have the answer obviously, but I do know a change is necessary!

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Well with the four team tournament just use a group stage format. Everyone plays once then the top two move on to the final winner gets the Canadian spot in the CONCACAF Champions League.

No two legged games and spread it out sporadically like they do now.

Well with the four team tournament just use a group stage format. Everyone plays once then the top two move on to the final winner gets the Canadian spot in the CONCACAF Champions League.

I can't argue that. What I am thinking is that's great for 2011, possibly 2012 even. But what happens when you add another team in let's say Ottawa (for argument's sake only) or even more. As domestic soccer grows in popularity D2, CSL, MLS will have longer league schedules and result in longer domestic cup schedules.

Maybe I'm looking too far into the future. Maybe I'm too optimistic for pro. soccer's growth in Canada.

As for St. Louis, I feel really bad for Cooper. He's taking the rap for this b.s. yet he's not the majority owner. How is that fair?

side note: I'm loving the WC 2010 support you've got going on NEW.ERA.PANDA. Here's hoping the Oranje will pull it off this year!

I can't argue that. What I am thinking is that's great for 2011, possibly 2012 even. But what happens when you add another team in let's say Ottawa (for argument's sake only) or even more. As domestic soccer grows in popularity D2, CSL, MLS will have longer league schedules and result in longer domestic cup schedules.

Maybe I'm looking too far into the future. Maybe I'm too optimistic for pro. soccer's growth in Canada.

As for St. Louis, I feel really bad for Cooper. He's taking the rap for this b.s. yet he's not the majority owner. How is that fair?

side note: I'm loving the WC 2010 support you've got going on NEW.ERA.PANDA. Here's hoping the Oranje will pull it off this year!

I mean the CSA is sort of getting the message when you see a country like Honduras no offense to Hondurans but CONCACAF once you get past the US and Mexico it's a crap shoot for the other 1.5 spots, I believe we're close and I believe most of this is due to how strong the sport is becoming here in Canada.

Toronto top 3 in MLS attendance if I'm not mistaken and once Vancouver and Montreal I'm sure they'll have good numbers as well. CSA sees it now they just have to invest the time and money in it. Like I said a country of this stature, It would be a slap in the face if the Canadians aren't in Brazil come June of 2014.

And thanks I never get my hopes hope with the Dutch but I hope they do.

I mean the CSA is sort of getting the message when you see a country like Honduras no offense to Hondurans but CONCACAF once you get past the US and Mexico it's a crap shoot for the other 1.5 spots, I believe we're close and I believe most of this is due to how strong the sport is becoming here in Canada.

Toronto top 3 in MLS attendance if I'm not mistaken and once Vancouver and Montreal I'm sure they'll have good numbers as well. CSA sees it now they just have to invest the time and money in it. Like I said a country of this stature, It would be a slap in the face if the Canadians aren't in Brazil come June of 2014.

Don't get me started with the CSA. But don't get your hopes up for Canada to make it to Brazil. What the CSA needs to do is grown the grassroots programs so that in 8/12 years we see these kids come up and get us into world cups on a consistent basis. But that's just how I feel in a nutshell.

Don't get me started with the CSA. But don't get your hopes up for Canada to make it to Brazil. What the CSA needs to do is grown the grassroots programs so that in 8/12 years we see these kids come up and get us into world cups on a consistent basis. But that's just how I feel in a nutshell.

Very true but what will the CSA's excuse be if they don't make. First off make it a goal to make the Semi-Final's in the next two Gold Cup's (2011, 2013) and even possibly host one of them. But really a country like Canada shouldn't get pushed around by Jamaica an occasion which has been far too common the last couple of years.

The good thing is we play out of CONCACAF and it shouldn't happen where you get kicked out of WC qualifying during the Third Round.

I cannot see the Canadian MNT expecting to beat the likes of Jamaica and Honduras.

Expect to beat? no. But we are very capable of winning those games if we get a good showing from Julian DeGuzman, Pat Onstead and, D-ro.

Very true but what will the CSA's excuse be if they don't make. First off make it a goal to make the Semi-Final's in the next two Gold Cup's (2011, 2013) and even possibly host one of them. But really a country like Canada shouldn't get pushed around by Jamaica an occasion which has been far too common the last couple of years.

The good thing is we play out of CONCACAF and it shouldn't happen where you get kicked out of WC qualifying during the Third Round.

I think you're hitting a key point we HAVE to host a gold cup. TFC, Montreal and, Vancouver are drawing for club soccer, but we need to get the hype behind international soccer. Hosting a gold cup between BMO, Saputo and, BC place might just be what will take the "on the fencers" of club soccer to all around soccer fans.

I like your idea of realistic goals too. The CSA should be setting these types of goals, and getting the fans encouraged by reaching goals which are attainable.

I cannot see the Canadian MNT expecting to beat the likes of Jamaica and Honduras.

Expect to beat? no. But we are very capable of winning those games if we get a good showing from Julian DeGuzman, Pat Onstead and, D-ro.

Plus a solid game from eight other teammates. Since we're on the topic of the Canadian MNT, I really had hoped that they made the 2002 World Cup after their success in the 2000 CONCACAF Gold Cup. However, moving forward, a good indication of whether the Canadian MNT can make the jump is the development of their talent as well as gauging their performance at the 2011 CONCACAF Gold Cup. Further, in previewing the 2014 World Cup qualification process for CONCACAF, Canada is ranked fifth and placed in Pot B, which gives them a bye to the Second Round. It wouldn't surprise me if their potential group-mates for the Third Round consisted of the US, Haiti, and Panama to ensure they at least make it to the Fourth Round.

Jeff Cooper's goal is to get an MLS team in St. Louis. All these other things are stepping stones to get there.

Barring Jeff Cooper suddenly being able to line-up someone of the Bill Gates/Warren Buffet/T. Boone Pickens persuasion as a partner, his "goal... to get an MLS team in St. Louis" is dead. DEAD. Major League Soccer isn't going to touch Cooper with the proverbial ten-foot pole after this fiasco.

I don't see how it becomes an indictment of his character.

For some people, it is a short jump for them to go from indicting a person's professionalism, business acumen and common sense to indicting said person's character. By any reasonable measure, Jeff Cooper's professionalism, business acumen and common sense all come-up severely wanting in an unbiased examination of his dealings with the Vaid brothers. As such, the aforementioned "some people" are also going to call into question Cooper's character. You may not be of that mindset. I'm not of that mindset. That said, I can understand how and why "some people" make the leap in their mind.

Either way it's a mark against soccer in St. Louis and that sucks.

That it is.

Hopefully, Cooper will see that his role in this whole messy affair has severely damaged his ability to successfully move forward with bringing a Major League Soccer franchise to St. Louis and, as a result, he'll get the hell out of the way and allow anyone else who might eventually be interested to take the lead in such efforts. Of course, someone else would actually have to be willing to step-up and there's no indication that that is the case. What's more, this fiasco may have soured potential owner/investors who might have considered it.

On thing is certain: As things stand now, despite his enthusiasm for the sport, Jeff Cooper has done pro soccer in St. Louis no favors.

Archived